Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Keys to success against Steelers

JimmiJo

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=615

Keys to success against Steelers

By John Pappas

Warpath Confidential Editor

The Washington Redskins’ starters face a stiff test this Saturday night when they play the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field.

The 2008 Super Bowl Champion Steelers had the number one ranked defense last year and have one of the best rushing outside linebackers in James Harrison. Harrison had 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks against the Redskins in week 9 last year in a 23-6 Pittsburgh victory. In the game, the Steelers sacked Jason Campbell seven times while limiting the Redskins’ offense to just 221 yards.

The Steelers will be looking to bring that pressure defense to bear against the Redskins this weekend.

Here are the keys to success for the Redskins’ starting offense this weekend:

1. Be Physical – Washington needs to play aggressively. When they block, tackle, and run, they need to do so with bad intentions. Last Thursday, Baltimore’s defense was the more physical team. At times, Washington looked to be just trying to hold their own. This week, the Redskins need to bring the pain.

Click the link to read the entire article...

wow, a steelers fan from virginia. thats original.

*awaits the "im from pittsburgh" or the "my family is from pittsburgh" or the "i saw pittsburgh on a map once" answers*

Actually my family is from Greensburg, PA. Just outside Pittsburgh ;) But I guess you have to stay in your team's city to be a fan?

I've noticed most of you Redskins fans have been delusional ever since Campbell became the starting quarterback :hysterical: QB of the future!!!

2. Take chances – The Redskins need to get out of their comfort zone and take some shots. Specifically, they need to stretch the field with deep passes. They should go less max-protect, and more three and four wide-out sets. This will help open things up for the run. In this game, the pass sets up the run.

they got to do this ...

they got to do this ...

Highly doubt you're going to beat the Steelers deep by taking chances downfield, especially against our first team. LeBeau has a very displined defense and not getting beat deep is probably the 2nd most important priority after stopping the run. Off the top of my head I can only remember 2 times where this happened last year. Once from Peyton to Wayne (ball was almost intercepted but tipped off Ike Taylor's hands) and in the playoffs against the Chargers.

Our corners play back most of the time so your best bet would be to go with quick slants and hope your receivers get off the line quickly. This is what Warner did in the 2nd half in the SB.

Actually my family is from Greensburg, PA. Just outside Pittsburgh ;) But I guess you have to stay in your team's city to be a fan?

I've noticed most of you Redskins fans have been delusional ever since Campbell became the starting quarterback :hysterical: QB of the future!!!

Wow your lame go back to circle jerking:jerk: on Steelers from.....

Hey does Hamburger still ride his bicycle with out his helmet..:cool:

Might I suggest folks,that instead of giving said fan of another team attention,that you ignore them and discuss the topic of the thread. Pretty sure that JimmiJo didn't write this nice piece just so ES members could go back and forth with a Steelers fan about their geographic location,sack numbers,and uniform colors. Besides, it makes things so much easier. Trust me.

Why all the hate for No Gravity? He wasn't trolling or anything...

I go to school in Greensburg and have found the Steelers fans to be extremely knowledgeable on their own team. Comparing them to pukes fans is night and day. I once had three guys sit down with me and explain to me why they prefer Ryan Clarck to Polamalu. Agree or disagree, the guys had the knowledge of their team to make an opinion. THat beats the puke fans who are trying to figure out why their moved their star "better than Sean Taylor" safety to WR :hysterical:.

As far as the OP, I don't think there are keys to the game in terms of the score. I think the keys are things like hitting the 7 yard hhigh percentage passes to build confidence and momentum. Getting Kelly and Thomas at least three catches each FROM CAMPBELL. Blitzing two LBers inside over Hayneworth and Griffin just to see what happens. And I think most important is Campbell playing at least a half, even if the other starters don't. I want JC to abuse some back ups to get this bored to stop whining about how he sucks and to get his game back on track.

Highly doubt you're going to beat the Steelers deep by taking chances downfield, especially against our first team. LeBeau has a very displined defense and not getting beat deep is probably the 2nd most important priority after stopping the run. Off the top of my head I can only remember 2 times where this happened last year. Once from Peyton to Wayne (ball was almost intercepted but tipped of Ike Taylor's hands) and in the playoffs against the Chargers.

Our corners play back most of the time so your best bet would be to go with quick slants and hope your receivers get off the line quickly. This is what Warner did in the 2nd half in the SB.

Who cares? Its a preseason game. As long as no one gets hurt and our 1st string doesn't look horrible, I could careless what the final score is.

I go to school in Greensburg and have found the Steelers fans to be extremely knowledgeable on their own team. Comparing them to pukes fans is night and day. I once had three guys sit down with me and explain to me why they prefer Ryan Clarck to Polamalu. Agree or disagree, the guys had the knowledge of their team to make an opinion. THat beats the puke fans who are trying to figure out why their moved their star "better than Sean Taylor" safety to WR :hysterical:.

As far as the OP, I don't think there are keys to the game in terms of the score. I think the keys are things like hitting the 7 yard hhigh percentage passes to build confidence and momentum. Getting Kelly and Thomas at least three catches each FROM CAMPBELL. Blitzing two LBers inside over Hayneworth and Griffin just to see what happens. And I think most important is Campbell playing at least a half, even if the other starters don't. I want JC to abuse some back ups to get this bored to stop whining about how he sucks and to get his game back on track.

Appreciate this. Didn't mean to start a flame war. I was invited here by one of your members a few months back.

Anyway, is anyone here going to be at the game? I'll be there taking up one of your precious seats :P

Funny cause I remember Campbell going down in the last preseason game meeting against us. Guess he went soft too or just sucks :laugh:

Not trolling huh??...:doh:

Archived