Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Hill/Rep. Green to require photo ID at town halls

twa

I might have to show up now

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rep.-green-to-require-photo-id-at-town-halls-2009-08-12.html

A Texas congressman, worried about disruptions at his town halls, wants to weed out people who want to attend but don't live in his district.

Rep. Gene Green (D-Texas) has announced on his website that he will require attendees to show photo identification to get into his town halls to prove that they're his constituents. He said that he's doing so in response to a "coordinated effort to disrupt our town hall meetings."

"While I regret this restriction, it is necessary for the safety and consideration of our constituents," Green said in a statement on his website. "Those who do not reside in the 29th congressional district should contact their member of Congress to voice any concerns that they may have on issues before Congress."

Green, who says town halls are one of his "favorite ways to communicate with constituents," held four town halls earlier this month. He is now out of the country, but he has four more scheduled from Aug. 18 to Aug. 21.

His decision drew derision from Republicans who noted that he voted against a Republican amendment that would have required Medicaid recipients to prove they are citizens by showing photo ID.

"It’s just a tad ironic that while Congressman Green forces his own constituents to produce photo ID simply to attend a town hall meeting, he doesn’t feel it necessary that people who receive government subsidies should do the same,” said Brad Dayspring, spokesman for House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

In a statement, Green said Cantor's criticism is misdirected.

“Services to illegal immigrants are already restricted and not in this health care legislation," Green said. "We need health care reform, and we need to focus on creating the best policy for our country and giving our constituents access to their members. Congressman Cantor and his caucus should join us in our efforts to cover the 47 million uninsured instead of politicizing an issue that has already been dealt with to create panic.”

The Irony

TXcongGeneGreenWantsPhotoID0809.jpg

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2009/08/11/cant-make-it-dem-rep-who-opposes-photo-id-vote-requiring-photo-id-town-h

Regardless of whether you think he is hypocritical for doing this, I can't say I blame him. Watching videos of these town hall meetings is like watching "Democracy" and "Informed Debate" renamed to simply "Food Fight". Conservative organizations are busing people in from all over the place and giving them talking points...not so much about the actual health care bill, but on how to disrupt the meetings, etc. If a Congressman/Congresswoman wants to talk to their consituents and that sort of atmosphere is interfering, I can't really fault them for wanting (needing) to make sure it is people who they actually represent. Those people who are basically "crashing" these meetings are probably stopping many of the Representatives' true constituents from asking questions and having any sort of reasonable debate with their elected official.

I think Rep Greens approach to this issue is fair and just.

IMO, he is not required to listen to or speak with anyone other than the people in his district.

However, I don't see why others can't attend. In the city I live in, I attend HOA meetings in other Wards so that I'm in the loop on all of the things important to the city. I don't speak at those meetings though.

IMO, he is not required to listen to or speak with anyone other than the people in his district.

However, I don't see why others can't attend. In the city I live in, I attend HOA meetings in other Wards so that I'm in the loop on all of the things important to the city. I don't speak at those meetings though.

Every district does not have a town hal meeting. By requiring photo ID, he is infringing on the ability of Americans to voice their concerns. Conservatives who are scared to death of what the Obama administration is doing desperately want to voice their fears.

Green's reason for doing this is so he can restrict the number of die-hard conservatives coming to his meetings so these terribly "violent" "uprisings" don't harm his public image. On the other hand, he doesn't give a rat's ass who comes to vote for him as long as he gets elected.

Whenever the liberals get pissed off, it's public protest. Whenever the Republicans get pissed off, it's the vast right wing conspiracy forming some mob that is planning on a coup of the White House and is entirely uncontrollable. It gets so bad they have to be restricted.

Every district does not have a town hal meeting. By requiring photo ID, he is infringing on the ability of Americans to voice their concerns. Conservatives who are scared to death of what the Obama administration is doing desperately want to voice their fears.

Green's reason for doing this is so he can restrict the number of die-hard conservatives coming to his meetings so these terribly "violent" "uprisings" don't harm his public image. On the other hand, he doesn't give a rat's ass who comes to vote for him as long as he gets elected.

Whenever the liberals get pissed off, it's public protest. Whenever the Republicans get pissed off, it's the vast right wing conspiracy forming some mob that is planning on a coup of the White House and is entirely uncontrollable. It gets so bad they have to be restricted.

So, how do you feel about requiring photo ID to vote? :halo:

His district that was carved out to represent minority and union interests?

Fair and just is a bit late here:silly:

I like the guy,despite his being a party hack, so maybe I'll go waste my breath at the meeting.

Wonder if he will let me in if I 'accidentally' leave my ID at home?:evilg:

Have you seen the videos of these town hall meetings? The people who are going there and making these scenes seem to be there purely to disrupt, not engage in any sort of substantial debate. Shouting down any logical questions about the bill, shouting down elected officials when they even try to speak, chanting and yelling catchphrases to the point where nobody else can even get a word in edgewise.

I thought the last Texas redistricting (after the 00' census) was the handiwork of Phil 'mental recessionist' Gramm?

Green got his carved out long before that as a result of court order for minority rep districts.

He is about as safe as it gets

Archived