Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's Blog - An improved atmosphere in Ashburn?

Thinking Skins

http://realredskins.com/2008/06/improved-atmosphere-in-ashburn.html

Rarely has one paragraph contained so much fodder for a blog post. First, here's the whole thing from the Pro Football Weekly website and then I'll parse it line by line:

Our sources tell us that there has been far less friction in Redskins Park so far this offseason since Jim Zorn has taken over. The root of the earlier stress, we are told, was Gregg Williams, who at times seemed to undermine the authority of Joe Gibbs, creating an awkward work environment at times. Zorn, we are told, has earned the respect of the veterans and is being treated as a nice guy who is not a pushover and is both competitive and intense.

First and foremost here, be wary of the "sources". They didn't say anything about "sources at Redskins Park" or "team sources" or anything like that. This probably means that this information is secondhand at best.

That doesn't mean that what's said in the blurb isn't true; in fact, it's going to be granted some credibility here for the purpose of discussion. If I can accomplish anything with this blog, however, I want Redskins fans to be educated consumers when it comes to the media. While we're going to keep the vague nature of the source in mind, we're going to proceed on the basis that he staff at PFW didn't make it up out of thin air or use the guy who mops the floors at Redskins Park as their source.

So, with that in mind, here's how I see it:

Far less friction at Redskins Park

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

Thats an interesting angle that Tandler takes on this 'far less friction' at Redskins park. I kinda got the opposite angle from it. I was thinking that with Gibbs there was friction not between coaches (although I can imagine that that friction existed too, but to a minimal extent), but rather between coaches and players. The situation that I think of immediately is the Lavar Aarington situation. That was pure tension between Dale Linsey and Lavar and tension between Lavar and GW. And also the not starting Rocky almost his whole rookie year. I kinda took the 'less friction' statement to be paired with the actual quote from Mike Sellers where he said something like "Coach Zorn treats us like men". That worries me because I don't want Zorn giving them too much leniancy and then the guys take advantage of him (like Zorn letting Portis and Landry race, and then Portis got hurt and had to miss practice).

Then we all remember the secondary coach and the CB coach meeting in different rooms. I don't know whose idea that was, or if its even still happening, but that was just wierd.

I think something has already been posted on this:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249853

yeah, I know we had discussed the PFW article, but this was more about a discussion on Tandler's Blog (which in itself is based on the PFW argument).

I don't know if I was out of line or not, but I thought it deserved a new thread.

yeah, I know we had discussed the PFW article, but this was more about a discussion on Tandler's Blog (which in itself is based on the PFW argument).

I don't know if I was out of line or not, but I thought it deserved a new thread.

:applause:

No worries. I just knew I recognized those words from somewhere.

And I agree. Tandler does have some interesting points in his blog.

Remember how someone in the Redskins organization trashed Gregg Williams during the coaching search and said he disrespected Gibbs in his interview? That was some BS to calm down the fans who thought Williams should get the job. So I'm a little suspect of any Williams bashing that comes from "team sources" or whatever.

That said, I do think things are going to run a little smoother with Zorn in charge simply because there are less cooks involved. Gameday, especially on offense, was often a nightmare last year.

That said, I do think things are going to run a little smoother with Zorn in charge simply because there are less cooks involved. Gameday, especially on offense, was often a nightmare last year.

:applause: Thank you.

IMO, the staff was assembled like a bloated big corporation with so many layers of management, that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Too many geniuses, too many Associate to the Assistant to the Head Coach of every facet of pigskin. An offensive guru trying to catch up after a decade of racing cars, using another offensive guru's plays but not his gameplan, with a slash-and-burn RB getting stuck in the ***cheeks of his lumbering counter-trey blockers and a too hurt or too green QB throwing 50 bubble screens a game to a group of midgets.

Did I mention the undermining self-loving defensive genius, or the acquisitions department that collectively donated $60 Mill to the Archuleta/Lloyd charities?

Anyone else looking forward to clock management, and the use of the forward pass on 3rd down this year? :cheers:

I still dont see how Gibbs would have been mad that Williams decided to only start 10 men on defense. Gregg was showing the utmost respect for a fallen Redskins and everyone loved the idea. Maybe I am wrong but I just dont see how that is going over Gibbs and doing what he wants to do in that situation. JMO

I still dont see how Gibbs would have been mad that Williams decided to only start 10 men on defense. Gregg was showing the utmost respect for a fallen Redskins and everyone loved the idea. Maybe I am wrong but I just dont see how that is going over Gibbs and doing what he wants to do in that situation. JMO

I dont think it was the action itself that pissed off Gibbs. I think it could be more of a thing that Williams presented the idea to Gibbs, Gibbs said no, and Williams did it anyway. If thats what happened, then I could understand the frustration. Its not the formation itself, its not respecting authority. I could also understand this leading to GW not getting the job as Snyder and Vinny would have been thinking that he's not a team player and may try to backstab them or undermine them.

I know that me saying this kinda contradicts me thinking that the tension wasn't between GW and Gibbs, but I don't think it was as recurrent a theme as Tandler stated.

Thanks for checking out the blog, guys.

The main point to take away here is that there should be much less friction at this point as the team is three weeks away from its first practice in pads under Zorn. They've been too damn busy putting a playbook together to worry about turf wars or ego trips.

It's also my opinion that the inability of Gibbs and Saunders to get on the same page was far more damaging to the team than any issues with the Gibbs-Williams relationship.

Thanks for checking out the blog, guys.

The main point to take away here is that there should be much less friction at this point as the team is three weeks away from its first practice in pads under Zorn. They've been too damn busy putting a playbook together to worry about turf wars or ego trips.

It's also my opinion that the inability of Gibbs and Saunders to get on the same page was far more damaging to the team than any issues with the Gibbs-Williams relationship.

RT, thanks for the articles. I always look forward to what you write.

Reference the Gibbs/Saunders relationship I agree. It basically stagnated the offense. The players didn't know who to listen to at times and the play calling suffered on game day.

Looking back, Gibbs should have brought someone in to run the offense, similar to Williams running the defense and he perform more CEO duties.

Also, taking from something that Buges said, Gibbs stayed up late into the night game planning. I bet Saunders wanted to get the game plan completed and get to bed earlier instead of wasting time until 0300 hours. Just a difference of philosophy on how to run the offense.

Archived