Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vacation to Mexico

SC_RedskinsFan

My wife and i are going to Mayan Palace, Riviera Maya in a little less than 2 weeks. It is about 10 miles south of Cancun. We will be there for 8 days. Has anybody else been there before? We are looking for things to do while there, so if any of ya'll have been there and have any suggestions that would be great. This will be the first time eather of us have been to Mexico except for on a cruise. So we do not know what to expect.

My wife and i are going to Mayan Palace, Riviera Maya in a little less than 2 weeks. It is about 10 miles south of Cancun. We will be there for 8 days. Has anybody else been there before? We are looking for things to do while there, so if any of ya'll have been there and have any suggestions that would be great. This will be the first time eather of us have been to Mexico except for on a cruise. So we do not know what to expect.

Riviera Maya is beautiful. I think it is about an hour and a half to two hours south of Cancun if I remember correctly.

Kick back on the beach, drink, and ask for Tequila Boom Booms.

Riviera Maya is beautiful. I think it is about an hour and a half to two hours south of Cancun if I remember correctly.

Kick back on the beach, drink, and ask for Tequila Boom Booms.

That sounds good to me:cheers:

I did a map search and it is 25 miles from Cancun. Not to bad.

Im giving my own thread a bump for some suggestions. We leave on the 15th.

What type of activities are you looking for?

Are you comfortable in a foreign country and want to taxi cab it and wander out on your own in an impoverished area?

Are you uncomfortable and want to spend big dollars on your travel companies organized excursions?

It depends on your comfort level and what activities you are looking for. Essentially there are bars, Mayan excursions, bars, and water activities.

So you can scuba, drink, walk in intense heat to Mayan ruins, and do other water stuff. Thats about it.

Enjoy yourself and relax!

ive been there twice in the last year... you will have tons of options of things to do but please make sure you take a trip to "Xel-Ha" It's a natural water park. Theres swimming with dolphins, a beautiful clear water river to snorkel, cliff jumping, a lazy river, and sea trekking! You put on a oxygen helmet and just walk around on the bottom of the river. It's the most fun ive ever had in one day.

come back up thru TJ and stay a few in SD bro. PBR is on me!!

Don't forget to warn him not to drive on that Tijuana Expressway or whatever it's called...or is that in Baja? Well, wherever it is that they show on the news with those crazy kidnappers.

hey SC, we stayed at the Mayan Pallace. It's a 5 star resort on the beach with 2 golf courses, several resaruants, and a spa. They have about 50 king sized cabana beds under tiki roofs that are free for the day but you have to go down to the pool at 6:30 to reserve one. The only negative is that all the rooms are on the golf course and depending, it's a pretty good walk to the beach facilities, but they have these little golf cart trams that carry you back and forth.

That resort is 45 km south of Cancun and 20 km north of Playa del Carmen, which we prefered. Cancun is compariable to Miami beach and has amazing Carolina blue water, while PDC is way more laid back, great restaruants and beach clubs. This is a Sam's club in PDC where name brand tequilla is about half price of what you pay here (try the Don Julio repsosito the wife really liked it :cheers: ). Driving is pretty easy, lots of ruins within an hours drive. Diving Cozumel is 1st rate. I also dove at "hidden world" cenotes which is 10 min south of PDC. Have a great time

ive been there twice in the last year... you will have tons of options of things to do but please make sure you take a trip to "Xel-Ha" It's a natural water park. You put on a oxygen helmet and just walk around on the bottom of the river. It's the most fun ive ever had in one day.

The oxygen helmets are highly recommended, we did that in St. Thomas. Awesome experience. :applause:

Check out the trip advisor webpage and left column of this thread below. You can usually find great info:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d295766-Reviews-Mayan_Palace_Riviera_Maya-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Diving Cozumel is 1st rate. I also dove at "hidden world" cenotes which is 10 min south of PDC. Have a great time

I second that!

Even if you don't dive, you can snorkel at some of the Cenotes.

The water is around 76 degrees and crystal clear, (my sig pic was taken there), and it's very refreshing, especially on a muggy summer day.

Check out Tulum, the Mayan ruins just south of Cancun. It's on the water, with a natural reef (some say the channels were carved into it to create a safe harbor) and the water is amazing. Those Mayans were amazing people.

I'm down here right now. Isla Mujeres, an island just off Cancun. The fishing is really good. Plenty of sailfish and white marlin, if you'd be interested in offshore fishing. Check out the KEEN M. Capt. Anthony is American and owns the marina (Henriques) here in Isla. You need to watch out for the local fishing boats. They try, but they just aint that good.

Be careful what you pay. Every price you see or are told is a jumping off point for negotiations. Taxi cabs are famous for hosing the gringos.

I'm down here right now. Isla Mujeres, an island just off Cancun. The fishing is really good. Plenty of sailfish and white marlin, if you'd be interested in offshore fishing. Check out the KEEN M. Capt. Anthony is American and owns the marina (Henriques) here in Isla. You need to watch out for the local fishing boats. They try, but they just aint that good.

Be careful what you pay. Every price you see or are told is a jumping off point for negotiations. Taxi cabs are famous for hosing the gringos.

Thanks Capt Rich, i might do some fishing down there. I when offshore here last friday in a 48 foot fishing machine!! I usually fish a good friend of mine on a 30 foot scarab, but this other fella i know loves to go offshore and he has the right boat for it.:cheers: The fish were not to interested then. We got 4 dolphin and a wahoo. We tried some bottom fishing also but nothing wanted to bite. Maybe next time.

How much does a charter cost down there? A ball park amount if you can give me one.

We went to the Riveria Maya for our honeymoon and had a great time. We went to Xpu-Ha which is an eco-park and had so much fun. And also did a day in Cozumel and an evening in Playa del Carment. Also, if your resort was anything like mine there is plenty to do on campus, and plenty of booze to keep you going.

Have a great time!

Check out Tulum, the Mayan ruins just south of Cancun. It's on the water, with a natural reef (some say the channels were carved into it to create a safe harbor) and the water is amazing. Those Mayans were amazing people.

oh yeah, we did that too!

Thanks Capt Rich, i might do some fishing down there. I when offshore here last friday in a 48 foot fishing machine!! I usually fish a good friend of mine on a 30 foot scarab, but this other fella i know loves to go offshore and he has the right boat for it.:cheers: The fish were not to interested then. We got 4 dolphin and a wahoo. We tried some bottom fishing also but nothing wanted to bite. Maybe next time.

How much does a charter cost down there? A ball park amount if you can give me one.

Ahhhh, I want to say somewhere around 1,300 for a full day, but I can't be positive. I run a private fishing boat, like most of the others. Isla and Hacienda Del Mar (cancun) are still pretty packed with boats, but most of us are private fishing teams hanging out because of the price of fuel. It's still 2.30 a gallon here and almosr 5 bucks a gallon at home. I don't care how rich a man is, when you put 1,200 gallons of fuel in a boat that 6 thousand dollars leaves a mark. If you show up at the dock and ask who can take you fishing sometimes you'll find one of us with nothing going on and we'll do it. That's your best bet. If you grab a cab and ferry to Isla you won't be let down. There's tons to do and see. Capt. Anthony is your best bet. You'll really like him. Very profesional and one of the best fishermen here. He lives here year round so he knows just where to go. Do yourself a favor, if you can't spend the money to get a good American boat go see the ruins. Chechenisa (or how ever you spell it) is a real wonder of the world. Get a private tour guide to take you. It's about 400 bucks for the whole day and your not packed with a bunch of sweaty idiots like veal . I've seen alot in this world. You need to see that **** up close to believe it. Everything about it is strait out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Back to the fishing. The Mexicans will try to entice you with cheaper prices. You'll get what you pay for. Don't do it all if you can't do it right. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Any of the following will treat you well:

1) Xel-Ha, mentioned above

2) Xcaret, an AWESOME ecological park with an underground river you can snorkel through, and a giant show after the park closes that will change your life

3) The Tulum ruins

4) The Chichen Itza ruins

5) GREAT snorkeling and scuba diving all over the place

hey SC, one other thing be alert when you pull into gas stations. They like to fill your tank for you without reseting the pump so that you pay $10 or $30 more than what you got. I had them try that on me. A younger kid came running up and was pointing at my tire like is was low on air (it wasn't). I turned around just in time to see the other attendent rushing to start filling my tank without reseting it. I stopped him and left the gas station.

Archived