Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush Authorizes NSA to police the internet via AT&T

The_cavalierman

Want to know why getting that retroactive telecom immunity is so important to Bush? It’s not just about tapping phone calls.

Scholars & Rogues:

Following up on my post from a little while back discussing Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell’s desire to
, the
Washington Post’s
Ellen Nakashima confirmed last weekend that the Decider had signed
authorizing the NSA to more expansively monitor intrusions on federal networks for signs of cyberattacks:

Until now, the government’s efforts to protect itself from cyber-attacks — which run the gamut from hackers to organized crime to foreign governments trying to steal sensitive data — have been piecemeal. Under the new initiative, a task force headed by the
(ODNI) will coordinate efforts to identify the source of cyber-attacks against government computer systems. As part of that effort, the
will work to protect the systems and
will devise strategies for counterattacks against the intruders.

As Brian has said recently, the U.S. is absolutely
on almost any front. I’m all in favor of redirecting tax money towards protecting and strengthening our Internet infrastructure against any one of the millions of crippling threats it can face, rather than expensive, crappy weapons systems that have little measurable effect except fattening defense contractors’ coffers.

But in an
, the
New Yorker’s
Lawrence Wright touches on the myriad obstacles our intelligence community faces towards handling a real threat, and why they get it wrong so often.

This article doesn't get to the issue. It is suggesting that the NSA wants to aggressively investigate attempted intrusion attempts on government networks. This seems reasonable until you understand how they are going to do that. McConnell says the only way to do this is to monitor ALL Internet traffic in the USA so that they can stop attacks before they happen.

This article doesn't get to the issue. It is suggesting that the NSA wants to aggressively investigate attempted intrusion attempts on government networks. This seems reasonable until you understand how they are going to do that. McConnell says the only way to do this is to monitor ALL Internet traffic in the USA so that they can stop attacks before they happen.

Indeed....

It is the "how" that bothers the crap outta me.

Without a doubt protecting government systems from cyber attacks is extremely important, and will become even more important in the future.

On the other hand I would not trust Mr. Bush to even tie my shoelaces.

Maybe it would be best to put this off for a year...

I am not sure how or why people complain when there hasn't been a single attack on our soil since 9-11.

The first WTC bombing was in 1993 and so it was eight years later under Bush's presidency that the 2001 attacks occured.

By your argument, Clinton managed to avoid any Al Qaeda attacks on American soil for all that time without the need for this level of surveillance. :laugh:

We all have seen several potential terrorist attacks get spoiled, is there a better way of doing this?

There may or may not be a better way... My personal impression about this administration is that it is extremely incompetent. Lack of terrorist attacks on the US soil does not logically contradict that impression.

I've seen that statement pop up from time to time, and it is usually offered as evidence for something that it does not logically support.

Frankly I am having a hard time seing how anything meaningful can be derived from that statement at all.

I am not sure how or why people complain when there hasn't been a single attack on our soil since 9-11.

Well it's this little thing called a constitutional right to privacy that is an issue.

FBI Director Mueller has stated many times that no matter what we do we cannot stop a determined attacker. I would much prefer that instead of violating my privacy by listening to my phone calls and reading my emails that the government secure my borders and sea ports.

It is with those facts in mind that I prefer not to lose all of my rights in America and become a fascist police state.

If we become a fascist police state with no civil liberties then the terrorists have won without another attack.

Well it's this little thing called a constitutional right to privacy that is an issue.

FBI Director Mueller has stated many times that no matter what we do we cannot stop a determined attacker. I would much prefer that instead of violating my privacy by listening to my phone calls and reading my emails that the government secure my borders and sea ports.

It is with those facts in mind that I prefer not to lose all of my rights in America and become a fascist police state.

If we become a fascist state with no civil liberties then the terrorists have won without another attack.

:idea:

:applause:

The first WTC bombing was in 1993 and so it was eight years later under Bush's presidency that the 2001 attacks occured.

By your argument, Clinton managed to avoid any Al Qaeda attacks on American soil for all that time without the need for this level of surveillance. :laugh:

The threat became a lot greater as Clinton was being phased out. At this point is it worth taking away something that could very easily be working to learn that it was at the cost of several mroe thousand American lives?

They are not tapping the average Americans phone they are targeting potential terrorists. Fine by me then again I am cool with racial profiling when it comes to terrorism. Until the Muslim communities in the United States stand up publicly against terrorism than my opinion and view on this will not change.

Something has to give and I don't think it should be American lives.

Suing a private company or corporation for cooperating with the government is insane. Imagine the precedent - Well your honor I would have cooperated in the mass murder investigation but I was afraid of being sued. :doh:

If you don't like what the government is doing, take it to the government.

Perhaps if the government were not violating the constitution they would not have to worry about being sued. If we lose our right to privacy then the terrorist have won without taking another shot.

Maybe the government should secure the borders and the seaports before they start making a mockery of the right to privacy. That should keep them busy for a while and away from violating the Constitution.

Suing a private company or corporation for cooperating with the government is insane. Imagine the precedent - Well your honor I would have cooperated in the mass murder investigation but I was afraid of being sued. :doh:

If you don't like what the government is doing, take it to the government.

Companies should follow the law and they should be held accountable for violating the law, as simple as that.

In other words you cannot break the law even if the government asks you to. ;)

The threat became a lot greater as Clinton was being phased out. At this point is it worth taking away something that could very easily be working to learn that it was at the cost of several mroe thousand American lives?

They are not tapping the average Americans phone they are targeting potential terrorists. Fine by me then again I am cool with racial profiling when it comes to terrorism. Until the Muslim communities in the United States stand up publicly against terrorism than my opinion and view on this will not change.

Something has to give and I don't think it should be American lives.

I am sorry to hear you are completely comfortable in a fascist police state but I am not. Like I said before, the government could do absolutely everything in their power to protect us (as the FBI Director has said) and we can still get hit.

Since that is our reality I prefer the country not become a fascist police state because the terrorists will no longer need to attack us. We have a Constitution and it guarantees every American a right to privacy. If we lose our way of life and our freedoms then what exactly are you protecting?

By the way....their is already proof that these agencies have over stepped the boundaries

1. NSA taps Americans phone lines

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6035637.html

2. NSA wire tapping wider than expected

Link

Archived