Extremeskins

DallasCowboys.com Spagnola: Temperatures Soar In Morning Practice With Broncos

tr1

Mid-Day Report

Mickey Spagnola - Email

DallasCowboys.com Columnist

August 15, 2007 1:44 PM

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=6AD97BC8-9E8A-5402-DD6011BC6003AF5C

IRVING, Texas - For the first time since the 2003 season the Dallas Cowboys practiced against another NFL team, meeting up with the Denver Broncos at The Ranch in the first of four scheduled practices over a two-day period.

And greeting the two teams for the morning practice was that nearly unbearable Texas summer heat, with the temperature near the end of practice reaching 97, but combined with an uncommonly high humidity, boosted the heat index to 105.

There wasn't a dry stitch of clothes out there, and after spending the first two weeks of training camp in the comfy confines of the Alamodome in San Antonio, Wednesday's Texas heat was a rude awakening for those unaccustomed to August weather in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Rookie fullback Deon Anderson, who grew up in the northeast, said he never faced anything like this.

"Back home it didn't feel like the devil was dancing on your face," Anderson said.

The rookie fullback said he lost nine pounds in the morning practice, and was starting to worry about keeping his weight on. He wants to play at 243, but has continually lost weight since camp has begun.

He's not the only one struggling with weight. Outside linebacker Junior Glymph said he lost 11 pounds in Wednesday morning's practice, and was contemplating getting an IV to replenish the fluids in his body for the afternoon practice.

And backup center Cory Procter spent a few minutes sitting in front of his locker after practice waiting for a cramp to subside in his groin area.

Quick Shots:

* Cowboys kickers Martin Gramatica and Nick Folk each made three of their field goal attempts from 38, 40, 42 and 44 yards. Gramatica pushed his 40-yarder left, and Folk did the same from 44 yards.

* Cowboys starting offensive tackles Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo were held out of the morning practice but will return for the afternoon session. Phillips has practiced both players only once a day following their return from arthroscopic knee surgery, and said he plans to do the same on Thursday.

* Cowboys outside linebacker Greg Ellis continued his rehab work, trying to recover from the sore heel which has sidelined him since the first day of training camp. Ellis also continued to reiterate to reporters that he is not retiring, despite his frustration with his sore heel.

* Former Cowboys Ebenezer Ekuban, Quincy Morgan and Steve Cargile all practiced with the Broncos on Wednesday. Former second-round pick Jacob Rogers missed practice with a knee injury.

* Cowboys safety Keith Davis made a diving breakup of a pass intended for Broncos tight end Daniel Graham in team drills.

Who's Hot:

Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware hasn't been blocked very much by his own team here in training camp this summer. But the Broncos offensive tackles didn't have much of an answer either. Ware routinely blew past his opponents, whether it was one-on-one drills or the team period.

Who's Not:

Broncos offensive tackle Jacob Rogers had a chance to show his former team just what kind of player he actually can be. Rogers, a second-round pick of the Cowboys in 2004, was released in training camp in 2005 amid continuous knee problems. But instead of proving himself for a few days here at practice, Rogers is hurt again, suffering from a right knee injury.

You Should've Seen:

During a team drill in the morning practice, Broncos cornerback Domonique Foxworth thought he had an interception in his grasp until Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens jumped over the corner and snatched the ball away from him for a spectacular completion from Tony Romo sits to pee.

Injury Update:

OT Doug Free, sprained knee, 2-4 weeks (8/9)

CB Quincy Butler, pulled muscle - day-to-day (8/5)

WR Jamaica Rector, knee - day-to-day (7/31)

WR Terry Glenn, knee scope - 2 weeks (7/30)

DT Jason Hatcher, hamstring - day-to-day (7/30)

LB Greg Ellis, heel - day-to-day (7/25)

Missed Practice:

OT Flozell Adams (rest)

OT Marc Colombo (rest)

CB Quincy Butler (pulled muscle)

WR Jamaica Rector (knee)

WR Terry Glenn (knee scope)

DT Jason Hatcher (hamstring)

LB Greg Ellis (heel)

OT Doug Free (knee)

Returned to Practice:

(None)

Transactions:

P Sam Paulescu, signed (8/14)

G Steve Franklin, waived (8/9)

TE Andy Thorn, waived (8/8)

LB Khari Long, signed (8/3)

P Sam Paulescu, waived (8/3)

LT Pete Lougheed, signed (8/1)

RT Jim Molinaro, placed on IR (8/1)

QB Matt Baker, waived (7/26)

RT James Marten, signed (7/26)

LB Anthony Spencer, signed (7/26)

LT Flozell Adams, placed on active PUP (7/25)

RT Marc Colombo, placed on active PUP (7/25)

RB Alonzo Coleman, placed on active PUP (7/25)

WR Isaiah Stanback, placed on active/non-football injury (7/25)

WR Isaiah Stanback, signed (7/25)

G Doug Free, signed (7/25)

K Nick Folk, signed (7/25)

FB Deon Anderson, signed (7/25)

DB Courtney Brown, signed (7/25)

DB Alan Ball, signed (7/25)

Wade's Best:

"'I don't care what your contract says, if we don't win, we're getting fired.'" - Phillips recalling his first year in San Diego with his current defensive coordinator Brian Stewart and when the Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer told them in the very first meeting.

And the pukes revealed their new uniforms:

StarSkirt.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure no other NFL player with any other team would be uncomfortable with 103 degree heat beating down on you.

And lest you forget, this isn't a dry heat.

Right now at 7:30 pm it is 95 with 37 percent humidity.

37% it got up to 110 heat index with 60% humidity here. You don't know what humid is. And the Skins were practicing outside in it.

37% it got up to 110 heat index with 60% humidity here. You don't know what humid is. And the Skins were practicing outside in it.

Ashburn VA right?

Looking at weather.com

The last 7 days of weather

USVA0027?when=-7

Aug 9- 95 degrees

Aug 10- 92 degrees

Aug 11- 87 degrees

Aug 12- 92 degrees

Aug 13- 92 degrees

Aug 14- 88 degrees

Aug 15- 94 degrees

Today- 87 degrees

The next few days*

Aug 17- 91 degrees

Aug 18- 84 degrees

Aug 19 - 78 degrees

Aug 20- 84 degrees

Aug 21- 82 degrees

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVA0027?from=yest_topnav_undeclared

* projected

There has been 1 day opf over 100 degrees in Ashburn and that was over a week ago

Dallas on the other hand is 94 degrees today but the previous days

Since Dallas returned hom on the 10th

Aug 10- 100

Aug 11- 101

Aug 12- 103

Aug 13-104

Aug 14- 103

Aug 15- 102

Aug 16- 98

So as you can see the temps the 2 teams have been practicing in have quite a bit a difference between them.

As for where you came up with 110 I have no idea since there has not been a heat index that high in ashburn all summer

Ware scares the crap out of me...

Why? Because everyone claims he's a beast?

How many games against the Redskins has he been a dominant force? For that matter, how many games period?

Again, this guy gets all this hype, but I've yet to witness it with my own two eyes. :confused:

How many games against the Redskins has he been a dominant force? For that matter, how many games period?

Again, this guy gets all this hype, but I've yet to witness it with my own two eyes. :confused:

You'll see it this season. Mark it down!

Yeah, all hype.

Ware sucks.

Ashburn VA right?

Looking at weather.com

As for where you came up with 110 I have no idea since there has not been a heat index that high in ashburn all summer

Are you really going to argue what it's like here in the DC area when you live in Dallas? Are you serious? I live here. It's hot. It's humid as hell. Last week it was reported 110 head index. Until yesterday, it was hot, muggy, opressive conditions.

And weather.com sucks.

BTW Cowboys practice conditions were 76 degrees with 10% humidity all training camp :laugh:

Why is the weather relevant?

I mean, do you hear about the Broncos getting ripped on when Shannahan only does "one a days" or his players only practice in full pads "once a training camp?"

No.

If harsh practice conditions meant more wins, franchises with money (like both the Skins and the Cowboys) would hold training camp in Africa or South America.

Right... they had HIGHS of 88 and here in Dallas we had LOWS of 85.

Gimme a freakin break... acting like its unbearable for the Skins practice.

Temps dropping below 100 here because of the Tropical Storm coming from the Gulf.... it'll be back to over 100 again soon.

Right... they had HIGHS of 88 and here in Dallas we had LOWS of 85.

Gimme a freakin break... acting like its unbearable for the Skins practice.

Temps dropping below 100 here because of the Tropical Storm coming from the Gulf.... it'll be back to over 100 again soon.

have you ever been to DC in the summer? You know what it's like to breathe in 60% humidity?

Interesting you all are making a big deal about the weather now, instead of last week, when the Redskins were out in upper 90, humid, weather and you all were in your cushy little dome.

Are you really going to argue what it's like here in the DC area when you live in Dallas? Are you serious? I live here. It's hot. It's humid as hell. Last week it was reported 110 head index. Until yesterday, it was hot, muggy, opressive conditions.

And weather.com sucks.

BTW Cowboys practice conditions were 76 degrees with 10% humidity all training camp :laugh:

LMAO let me guess weather.com has a bias against the redskins?

I am not talking about the "DC area" I am talking about Ashburn VA where the redskins are practicing at. I posted ACTUAL temps, they can not be disputed. Well you can try but arguing against facts makes you look really silly

have you ever been to DC in the summer? You know what it's like to breathe in 60% humidity?

Interesting you all are making a big deal about the weather now, instead of last week, when the Redskins were out in upper 90, humid, weather and you all were in your cushy little dome.

Umm... yes... Yesterday

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/pastweather/hourly/USTX0646?stn=0&when=081507

8AM in the morning... 90 degress with 67% humidity.

You ever been to Dallas when its 105 out with no wind and no clouds in the sky?

Try being in Houston during the Summer... or Louisiana.

You act like you're the only person on the planet that knows anything about humidity and heat.

Get over yourself.

Many times. The humidity is very uncomfortable but it's not the same. In heat like they have in Dallas, you can drop dead. In DC during the summer, it's not great but it aint Texas in the summer.

Umm... yes... Yesterday

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/pastweather/hourly/USTX0646?stn=0&when=081507

8AM in the morning... 90 degress with 67% humidity.

You ever been to Dallas when its 105 out with no wind and no clouds in the sky?

Try being in Houston during the Summer... or Louisiana.

You act like you're the only person on the planet that knows anything about humidity and heat.

Get over yourself.

So what was it like in the Alamodome?

LMAO let me guess weather.com has a bias against the redskins?

I am not talking about the "DC area" I am talking about Ashburn VA where the redskins are practicing at. I posted ACTUAL temps, they can not be disputed. Well you can try but arguing against facts makes you look really silly

Let me know what weather.com says about the temperature inside the Alamodome.

Hypocrites.

I posted weather since both teams have been outdoors

I could go all the way back which includes another day in the high 80, some mid nineties and igh nineties to go along with the 102 day I mentioned before.

Now lets talk about humidity you do know tht the average humidity in Dallas is from 50 to high 60s right? The same as ashburn VA, so its hotter with the same humidity in Dallas

Archived