Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. to Ease Illegal Immigrants' Children's Access to Medicaid

Sarge

What the **** is wrong with George Bush? We have to borrow to fund Medicare as is is, and now we're adding illegals to the rolls? :doh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/20/AR2007032001254.html

In response to concerns that some babies may be missing out on essential health care, the Bush administration will issue a rule making it easier for the infants of noncitizens to gain access to services covered through Medicaid.

Typically, newborns of Medicaid beneficiaries are deemed automatically eligible for the health-care program during their first year as long as the mother remains eligible.

Last year, Medicaid officials said this automatic status would not extend to infants whose delivery was covered through emergency Medicaid. Such emergency care covers the labor and delivery expenses for many uninsured couples, including illegal immigrants.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services stated last year that the parents of babies whose care was covered through emergency Medicaid would have to abide by their state's requirements concerning proof of citizenship and identity.

The problem, health officials said, is that generating such documentation is time- consuming. Officials with the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities said they heard complaints from pediatricians that some babies released from the hospital had problems accessing follow-up care.

Ok, what isn't said in this article is how Bush's new rule will make it easier for illegal imigrants to get healthcare. Is the new rule designed to help those here legally, and as a side effect it would be helping illegal immigrants? Is it possible to be cheaper to give the early life care? I don't think it's a coincidence that most insurance covers early life care despite the fact that it may be "optional." It saves them money in the long run.

Is the new rule making things easier by not requiring a social security number? I have to say that while it seems reasonable on the face of things to require a social security number, in real life it is no where near that simple. My daughter was 18 months old before we had an SSN for her.

Is it going to be providing them with immunization shots? At some point, there is a trade off. Without the shots, a certain percentage of them end up in the ER (very expensive). How many shots can be provided for the cost of an ER visit? At some point, you give the early life care not just to spare the kids from getting sick, but also as a cost saver. The whole "ounce of prevention" saying didn't just spring out of mid air. There is some merit.

As much as many people on here desire it, we won't snap our fingers and have all illegal immigrants gone tomorrow. At some point, we need to minimize the costs of having them here. It's not just a question of personal fairness as some on here seem to look at all things. Some times, one should look at system wide workings when trying to determine the right way to go.

Helping INFANTS? What is George Bush thinking?!!!

Maybe he's thinking, I'm not going to do something that makes innocent infants die needlessly. Good for him. Last I checked the bible didn't say anything about only help those in your nation, screw everyone else. These are babies for crying out loud!

What gbear and dfitzo said.

You have to have like a check-up 1 months after birth. Most states aren't able to produce the birth certificate fast enough. I think this will allow parents to use those unofficial hospital birth certificates to qualify for Medicaid. Just my guess.

These kids are US Citizens anyway.

Why do you think we're seeing such pandering to Hispanics? Since 1986 they've been streaming over the border and having kids... and now those kids, US Citizens, can vote.... and since they've been coming increasingly more and more into the 90s and now, be prepared for more and more pandering to Hispanics in the future...

A great reason for the 14th Amendment to be repealed

Yes... caring for sick babies is a great reason to repeal the 14th Amendment. But you know what, even if these infants weren't US citizens I'd still fully and completely support them being granted access to medical care.

To some people "morality" is more then anti-gay bumper stickers.

Yes... caring for sick babies is a great reason to repeal the 14th Amendment. But you know what, even if these infants weren't US citizens I'd still fully and completely support them being granted access to medical care.

To some people "morality" is more then anti-gay bumper stickers.

And who else should we pay for, maybe the Canadians? I mean after all, they're our neighbors and people too, right?

Maybe we should pay for all the health needs of the Iraqis because we invaded theie country.

ANd maybe the Japanese too, considering we we did to them

I mean, just how much more can the government pay for?

And who else should we pay for...

How about we start with people in urgent need that are currently in our country and have no means of suddenly teleporting to different parts of the world when they get sick or injured? That's the thing with health care... it's not something you can just say "screw it, I'll wait". When you need it, you need it. That simple.

You might be cool running around ****ing about immoral liberals one day and then arguing that we should deny BABIES health care the next. I'm not. No way I could EVER argue for something so absolutely shameful and disgusting.

And who else should we pay for, maybe the Canadians? I mean after all, they're our neighbors and people too, right?

Maybe we should pay for all the health needs of the Iraqis because we invaded theie country.

ANd maybe the Japanese too, considering we we did to them

I mean, just how much more can the government pay for?

Supplementals are your friend.

How about we start with people in urgent need that are currently in our country and have no means of suddenly teleporting to different parts of the world when they get sick or injured? That's the thing with health care... it's not something you can just say "screw it, I'll wait". When you need it, you need it. That simple.

You might be cool running around ****ing about immoral liberals one day and then arguing that we should deny BABIES health care the next. I'm not. No way I could EVER argue for something so absolutely shameful and disgusting.

Would it be too much to ask the people that need to have health care to PAY FOR IT?

What a concept :doh:

Why does the government have to pay for everything?

You know what? **** it. I'm dropping my medical insurance. YOU can pay for it.

How's that?

Sarge refeses to acknowledge that simple cheap preventive health care in infancy, thing like baisc diagnostics and vaccines, will actually SAVE the Government a ton of money down the road.

but then he can't rant about the "turd world" foreigner scum anymore

Sarge refeses to acknowledge that simple cheap preventive health care in infancy, thing like baisc diagnostics and vaccines, will actually SAVE the Government a ton of money down the road.

but then he can't rant about the "turd world" foreigner scum anymore

It probably would. I simply prefer that the Turd World illegal refugees didn't come here and pop out 10-20 anchor babies for us to pay for.

We're the only country in the world that is stupid enough to allow that

It probably would. I simply prefer that the Turd World illegal refugees didn't come here and pop out 10-20 anchor babies for us to pay for.

We're the only country in the world that is stupid enough to allow that

Perhaps. We are also the only country in the world that was built on that very same principle, and rose to be the greatest power of all time by doing so.

You may be correct that it is time to change things, but there is a valid historical reason US citizenship operates the way it does.

And anyhow, this doesn't change the fact that the original subject of this thread, which YOU started, is a matter of access to health care in infancy that is a fiscally wise move, given the fact that our constitution says what it says, and isn't going to change overnight.

Perhaps. We are also the only country in the world that was built on that very same principle, and rose to be the greatest power of all time by doing so.

You may be correct that it is time to change things, but there is a valid historical reason US citizenship operates the way it does.

And anyhow, this doesn't change the fact that the original subject of this thread, which YOU started, is a matter of access to health care in infancy that is a fiscally wise move, given the fact that our constitution says what it says, and isn't going to change overnight.

An ever WISER fiscal move would be to say "If you were born to an illegal immigrant, pay for your own health care"

BTW, you do know this program won't be around for you and I?

Why expedite it's demise by adding un-necessary burdens?

Before you bash this you do understand it could bring down healthcare costs for young illegal children right??

Think about if they now have the ability then insurrance companies and hospitals do not have to start charging YOU for their care.

Interesting concept now isn't it :)

"Anchor babies?" I swear I learn something new every day I come to ES.

Anchor baby is a pejorative term[1][2] used to refer to a child born in the United States to illegal aliens or other non-citizens. The term refers to a resident alien's child's role in facilitating "chain migration" under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Services Act of 1965. Nativists claim that the baby would become the "anchor" of a chain by which its family may receive benefits from social programs, and by which the parents may themselves eventually become lawful permanent residents or citizens of the United States.

The term "anchor babies" is also used to refer to children born to women who are legally in the US on temporary visas (for example a visitor’s visa) when the child's birth is specifically intended[citation needed] to obtain citizenship for the child under US law; however, this is more precisely described as birth tourism. Sometimes the term jackpot baby is used interchangeably with the term anchor baby,. This use is also pejorative.

Would it be too much to ask the people that need to have health care to PAY FOR IT?

How exactly would an infant go about making certain that his/her parents are able to pay for it?

We are the richest nation in the world and we are actually fighting over allowing INFANTS access to basic health care. This is absurd. Aren't you a pro-lifer? Where is all the talk of right to life now eh?

Before you bash this you do understand it could bring down healthcare costs for young illegal children right??

Think about if they now have the ability then insurrance companies and hospitals do not have to start charging YOU for their care.

Interesting concept now isn't it :)

Again, I would prefer that no one here illegally recieve ANYTHING from the government. It wold be great if someone had some balls and amended the law that forces hospitals to give free health services to illegals

Archived