Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Redskins vs Cowboys (6:30PM Update)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE REDSKINS vs COWBOYS

Vincent_Block.JPG

VICTORY!!!!!!

Click to listen to Cornelius Griffin HERE

Click to listen to Joe Salave'a HERE

Click to listen to Clinton Portis HERE

Click to listen to Warrick Holdman HERE

Click to listen to Kenny Wright HERE

Click to listen to Carlos Rogers HERE

Click to listen to Rock Cartwright HERE

Click to listen to Andre Carter HERE

Click to listen to Brandon Lloyd HERE

Click to listen to Marcus Washington HERE

Click to listen to Khary Campbell HERE

Click to listen to Phillip Daniels HERE

Click to listen to Renaldo Wynn HERE

Click to listen to more Warrick Holdman HERE

Click to listen to Jason Campbell HERE

Click to listen to more Joe Salave'a HERE

murf's take:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178888

photos #1

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178869

photos #2

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178870

photos #3

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178871

photos #4

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178872

photos #5

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178873

photos #6

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178874

photos #7

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178876

photos #8

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178877

:helmet:

11:50AM

Howdy!

The Murf and I are here at FedEx, geared up and ready for action. I don't have to tell you that a win today could not be more important for the Redskins. The fans understand this as it was packed coming in, with most fans already here, the parking lots packed, and tailgating at full speed.

I did an informal count of Dallas fans, arrived at a percentage based on a scientific formula, and have concluded that there are TOO DAMN MANY! This means that if you are going to be here - get LOUD. If you know someone coming, call them and tell them to get loud.

I wonder how the rest of you are feeling today. At 3:30 AM I realized that I was having trouble getting to sleep and that the reason might be nerves about this game. No biggie, just the whole season resting on the outcome...

Ok, so I am set to wander a bit. More to follow...

12:30P

Brian is lurking on the sidelines. I remain here with my Kangaroo TV and queasiness...

Standing on the footbridge outside the press room that spans the main concourse I see more Dallas fans than I would like. Dallas fans are like roaches, coming out as the lights dim on our 2-5 season. I hope and pray we send the sniveling maggots packing…Oh, and one more thing – curse you fans who sold your tickets to these people.

But will we send them off losers? Speaking to Howard Bryant in the meal line (Beef Brisket, Salisbury Steak, Roast Turkey, Caesar salad) we both agree that this team needs to run the ball, throw over the middle, and create turnovers. The other thing we agree on is that we don’t really have a feel for what this team will do today. My sense is that this team is better than the record reflects, but it all depends on which team shows up.

I heard Bram and others on the radio commenting that this team is remarkably bland emotionally given where they sit. I walked the sidelines when I first arrived trying to get a sense of the players out there warming up. My meters registered zero one way or the other. Unlike the radio-guys, I am not ready to surmise that they are not motivated for this game based on comments made in the press.

In case any of you were wondering, it is white-on-white today.

Seen and Heard

“Honey, this is the greatest rivalry in professional sports.” – A mother with her son on the Redskins’ sideline

“Redskins fans take the elevators, Dallas fans walk yo' asses up the ramp” – Beer vendor directing traffic on the main concourse

At the Half

Redskins 12 – Dallas 12

Well, it’s been a crazy first half. I never thought I would see Gibbs go for it on a fourth and one in the first quarter. A safety against the Cowboys followed of course. We looked great our first couple of drives but then could not punch it in, and this may haunt us later. We saw a two point conversion attempt in the second quarter, not even close to halftime. And there was a muffed snap when we were near their red zone. We see that the Redskins defense still can’t stop the run and still cannot get off the field on 3rd down.

But oh Mr. Portis! What a great run. I loved the play as well. Did any of you notice that this was a play they ran regularly last year with the same result? Hmmmmm…

Ok, let’s see if we can stop this last drive of the half…uh, I guess not.

From here in the press box we’ve seen some hard-hitting already, eliciting ‘oohs’ here in the press box. Based on the intensity I’ve witnessed I think it is safe to say that this team understands how important this game is. I just hope they can get it done in the second half.

And how about James Thrash? He is having a good day and I am glad to see it. I didn’t wish to mention the Cooley drop, until he did it again. I hope he does better in the second half.

The crowd has been awesome. You are doing yourselves proud and the press box is rocking. Let's keep it up.

For those at home or like me, in the press box - I guess we will all sit back, relax, and watch the second half. Actually I am running to the can to throw up…again.

Brian and I just got back from speaking with players. We will have audio and the like up shortly. I will tell you that it was a happy locker room...

6:24P Wrap Up

Wow, what an ending. It was special from here in the press box and I can only imagine what it was like on the sidelines. Brian tells me he swarmed the field. If they didn’t have the glass up here in the box I may have jumped right on down and joined him.

Let me say up front that given the results today, Murf and I should be considered good luck and sent to every game moving forward :D .

It was a tough game to watch in spots, but there was a point when I looked up and was surprised to realize we were tied late in the game and had a chance to win. Of course all of that faded with the missed field goal and then the big pass to get Dallas into scoring position. At that point everyone one of us in the press box was packing up to head to the locker room in order to encounter once again the long faces of the Redskin players after a loss. When it was blocked I thought to myself “overtime.” With the penalty I almost dared to believe.

With the made field goal and the win all I could do was stand here in the box grinning like a damn fool.

The mood in the locker room was a good one, and my favorite interview was Marcus Washington, who came out of the shower with a shoulder-held boom box and touting a Staples “Easy Button.”

I usually have a theme question when I interview following a game. My theme this game was whether or not the defense and team had spoken about of getting tough in the second half when it was close. Only Rock Cartwright spoke to a special meeting the team had where some of the players spoke. I asked the defensive guys what they did to stiffen in the fourth quarter. They spoke of attitude and belief in the system.

One thing a few of the players I spoke to said was that they wanted to win this game for Coach Gibbs. They spoke with affection of Gibbs and what they think of him. Marcus said something I thought key when he mentioned that in the midst of recent losses this team has stayed together. I found that interesting when balanced against the lack of emotion-charge by the radio guys earlier today. I think the lesson is we should not mistake unity in front of the press with a lack of intensity as a team.

The best part for me covering this game here in the press box was an older gentleman seated to my left. He must have been almost ninety and was accompanied by a man in his 60’s. The old man had hearing aids, squinted a lot, and you almost wondered how much of the game he was aware of. For the first part of the game the old man watched the game as all of us did, commenting quietly in spots or asking the younger man about a play. By the fourth quarter when the Redskins’ rallied to tie however, the man became very animated. Obviously a fan of the ‘Skins, he exclaimed loudly following Cooley’s touchdown catch, “That’s my Boy! That’s my Boy!”

The rest of the game was spent with the old man clapping and cheering and the younger man trying to quiet him in the press box.

I’ve type enough for now, and I will see you tomorrow at the next day presser. Murf should have photos and more in a bit.

BTW – those of you here today, please tell me how quiet the Dallas fans were leaving the stadium. Spare me nothing…

Archived