Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A real DB solution....your thoughts?

sparkosaurus

First, I looked around for a thread that would be the same or that I thought I could post on to illicit the type of response I'm looking for and couldn't find one....if this has to be merged somewhere, sorry I missed where it should go but I think this is an original thread.

Obviously the whole Shawn Springs situation is a bummer and while he might be back in 4 weeks (we pray) he could be out weeks one and two...I'm not concerned about the Vikes but against the Cowboys could be real tough if 2 or all of their receivers actually play the game.

Likewise there has been all kinds of posting about the Rumph trade...that he's just a defensive Taylor Jacobs, that he's a first rounder looking to break out, you name it. While I certainly believe that anyone with talent who has struggled has the best possible opportunity to shine here under GW (look at all the unknowns he's turned into rock stars) I think it's important that we also think of other ways to be competitive while Springs is rehabilitating.

Here was my thought....I should preface by saying I've never been a football player so I really don't know if this is feasible or crazy talk....

How would our secondary look if we had Prioleau and Archuleta as our safeties and we moved Sean Taylor to cornerback??? He runs a sub 4.4, has great size and vertical leap...he does know coverage as a safety...would it be a giant stretch for him to play corner??

If this could work, I really don't see the Springs injury as a huge deal...Prioleau is a very competent and solid safety and with Archuleta back there with him, I think that's a very good tandem especially with Taylor still on the field in some fashion...

anyone have thoughts here? i'd love to hear them!

HTTR!

We had some discussions last year about this; however, Taylor is just to much of an asset to isolate and put on a corner. He is a play maker that another team can run deep every play and virtually keep him out of the game. He is versitile and could play OLB, SS, FS, or CB. I believe FS gives him the most freedom to use his play making abilities. GW's defenses will change the game and soon the FS will be one of the highest paid positions on the defensive side. My position is that he is to valuable to play CB!

We had some discussions last year about this; however, Taylor is just to much of an asset to isolate and put on a corner. He is a play maker that another team can run deep every play and virtually keep him out of the game. He is versitile and could play OLB, SS, FS, or CB. I believe FS gives him the most freedom to use his play making abilities. GW's defenses will change the game and soon the FS will be one of the highest paid positions on the defensive side. My position is that he is to valuable to play CB!

This makes sense to me now that I think of it..although someone else's comment about using Peirson as a possible CB might work too...with Shawn out and the jury very much out on Rumph I'd just like to know that with the talent we have, we should be able to maintain and win ball games (just talking about the defense right now, mind you) with the proven talent we have until Shawn gets back into the line up...

all in all, I feel really good.

thanks for sharing!

St needs to stay right where he is, the last line of defense, a monster FS. His intimidation factor goes away when you keep him one on one with a single reciever. As it is now he covers alot of space and any reciever on his side of the field has to be worried, lets keep it that way.

Greg Williams will have a suitable replacement IF Springs can't go, no worries there.

well, since Archuleta signed on, Taylor's role was going to be a rover, it seemed. I thought he wwas essentially given a role to "free lance" within the scheme, but definitely more in coverage. With that, he basically will be like a CB. I mean, if we line up with 5 DB's, well, Archuleta can try to blitz, and we man up on all the receivers with our 3 CB's, while Taylor provides support. Also, gotta figger, since Archuleta is a good blitzer, and Marshall has played safety before, Marshall can be dropped back over the middle as well.

Actually Pierson has played cornerback already. He can play either position.

Yes he did and it would make more sense using him in a minor CB role than ST. ST is much to valuable where he is, although will probably find himself covering from time to time due to CB blitzes.

If our pass rush is good, everything will be fine.

This is a huge point. With GW's pressure D and the new additions to his crew, they should make things much easier on the DB's.

Sean Taylor may continue to cover certain larger recievers, but he will never be a starting CB. He is too integral to our defensive scheme, it is all built around him playing every position - including CB, FS, SS and MLB in our nickel packages.

Other than a mega trade for a young CB like Dunta Robinson or Nate Clements or a 2nd tier young starter type CB like Oakland's Fabian Washington or Namdi Asomugha - the best team to cyphon some talent from right now is the Broncos.

2 years ago they drafted a speedster named Roc Alexander, he's had a few problems both injury and a few off field fights, but he has a lot of upside as a #3 CB if Wright was to play the #2 like he did last year in Jacksonville.

We all know about the 05 surprise Dominique Foxworth, but there were 2 other CBs who were drafted last year who also have starting CB potential

Any of those Denver CBs could be real possibilities

since the Broncos are beyond stacked at the position, I predict that Ashburn is calling them as we speak.

As of Rumph, he is no Taylor Jacobs, when Rumph was a rookie he Put up 43 tackles, as a sophmore he had around 56 and 2 sacks and 3 interceptions.

The last 2 years he's been hurt. He is a much more established player, however he is also a much better safety than a CB. Gibbs says he is slotted as a CB on our team though.

Pierson Prielou is NOT a cornerback, he played limited nickelback last year and struggled mightily. Pierson as a Nickel is palatable, as a CB on an outside starting reciever? We would go to Dimitri Patterson before him he is not even CLOSE to fast enough, they would just run a fly pattern right past him 3 downs in a row.

Other than a mega trade for a young CB like Dunta Robinson or Nate Clements or a 2nd tier young starter type CB like Oakland's Fabian Washington or Namdi Asomugha - the best team to cyphon some talent from right now is the Broncos.

2 years ago they drafted a speedster named Roc Alexander, he's had a few problems both injury and a few off field fights, but he has a lot of upside as a #3 CB if Wright was to play the #2 like he did last year in Jacksonville.

We all know about the 05 surprise Dominique Foxworth, but there were 2 other CBs who were drafted last year who also have starting CB potential

Any of those Denver CBs could be real possibilities

since the Broncos are beyond stacked at the position, I predict that Ashburn is calling them as we speak.

Nice job here! Clements far and a way makes the most sense, but won't happen. The only other CB That comes to mind is Jets-Derrick Strait who was almost traded today. He is full of potential. Also, people who are giving up on Wright are wrong.

Nice job here! Clements far and a way makes the most sense, but won't happen. The only other CB That comes to mind is Jets-Derrick Strait who was almost traded today. He is full of potential. Also, people who are giving up on Wright are wrong.

The only thing is we would have to give up Betts.I dont think that would be a good idea right now with CP getting hurt.People are going to give up on Wright if he does not prove himself.

Ade Jimoh is at best, for now, a #4 CB...i think adding Rumph was a good idea but based on what i've heard from a cousin of mine(who's a DIE HARD Niners fan) he wasn't that great but he was...KEY WORD: *SOLID*...right now that's all we need at the CB position...we really don't need a SHUT DOWN kind of guy at that position because of the way Coach Williams has our "D"...we need BIG HITTERS and CBs that have decent covering skills...also putting Reed Doughty in at CB maybe?...ive heard he has good covering skills so that would be a nice place to try him out during the preseason...and actually switching ST and Peirson P. around from safety and corner once and awhile isn't a bad thing...we did it a lot last year...going back to the Niners game, ST played cornerback and got an INT and almost returned it for a TD...but the thought of making him a CB is CRAZY...i wouldn't be too worried about our CBs...we're fine in that area...just get better soon Shawn :D

not in favor of the idea though it is servicable in a pinch

1) restricts your best defensive player to playing less than 1/2 the field

2) prioleau aint gonna make it through the season. you note how many times he leaves his feet when tackling and leads with his head? sooner or later he's gonna get his noggin busted.

wonder if the rumph trade was going to be made anyways based on wright's performance or whether it has been in the works for a longer period of time.

The only thing is we would have to give up Betts.I dont think that would be a good idea right now with CP getting hurt.People are going to give up on Wright if he does not prove himself.

We wouldn't have to give up Betts for a lesser CB like the later ones I listed from the broncos.

Why do people act like Wright isn't a 26 year old veteran with a proven track record? Prove himself? How about starting @ CB all 16 games on the #7 pass defense last year?

Archived