Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: U.N. condemns Iran Holocaust remarks

heyholetsgogrant

U.N. condemns Iran Holocaust remarks

Saturday, December 10, 2005; Posted: 4:51 a.m. EST (09:51 GMT)

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council on Friday condemned remarks by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad denying the Holocaust and suggesting Israel should be moved to Europe.

A statement issued by the 15-member Security Council said, "The members of the Security Council reaffirm the rights and obligations of the state of Israel as a full and long-standing member of the United Nations, and reaffirm that, under the United Nations Charter, all members have undertaken to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state."

On Thursday, a spokesman for U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Annan was "shocked" to see the remarks attributed to Ahmadinejad.

Annan urged U.N. member nations "to combat such denial, and to educate their populations about the well-established historical facts of the Holocaust, in which one-third of the Jewish people were murdered, along with countless members of other minorities."

The secretary-general had previously criticized Ahmadinejad when he said Israel should be "wiped off the map."

Just last month, the U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution rejecting "any denial of the Holocaust as a historical event, either in full or in part."

Mohammad Mirtajedini, a member of Iran's Parliament, said Saturday Ahmadinejad's remarks were not controversial. As far as exaggerated suffering on the part of Jews during the Holocaust, Mirtajedini said European social scientists have made similar suggestions.

He said he does not believe the remarks will damage negotiations on Iran's nuclear program because it is unrelated, adding the nuclear issue is a controversy created by Israel and the United States.

Journalist Shirzad Bozorgmehr contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/10/iran.israel/index.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn Bush, arent these statement similar to what Saddam said????, the problem is they actually have nuclear facilities....on top of that Iran is thinking of making another Nuke reactor, too bad we are tied down in Iraq.

-Grant

Yeah, damn Bush for this guy being Iran's president...and damn him for the guy being a nutcase, and damn him for Iran wanting Nukes...and why not, let's just damn him one more time for the hell of it, hmmm?

:rolleyes:

:doh:

Iran had a Nuke plant, way way before Mohammad Mirtajedinit was president (BTW the guy they had before was a nut as well), bottomline is Iran is way more of a theat Iraq will ever be....now we are strapped and we have a country that can potentially distablize the reigion, if they build nukes.

-Grant

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn Bush, arent these statement similar to what Saddam said????, the problem is they actually have nuclear facilities....on top of that Iran is thinking of making another Nuke reactor, too bad we are tied down in Iraq.

-Grant

Iran had a Nuke plant, way way before Mohammad Mirtajedinit was president (BTW the guy they had before was a nut as well), bottomline is Iran is way more of a theat Iraq will ever be....now we are strapped and we have a country that can potentially distablize the reigion, if they build nukes.

-Grant

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So what is the problem with having troops strapped down or tied down in Iraq then, in relation to Iran having Nukes? If as you imply in your last post (not qouted here) you don't think it's necessary to invade Iran.

If first off in those statements, I never said we should invade Iran or Iraq for that matter, second we have NO CREDIBILITY in the world now, even just to push for Sanctions, now we have to settle for a lousy Russian Plan that alows Iran to keep the plants.

-Grant

It is clear that you are a typical liberal who would never support war regardless of the cause. Thus your opinions have no credibility. I like the idea that we have 130+ thousand troops in the region. They are not being held down by hostilities in Iraq. If the situation were dire enough, they would already be in the theater.

If Iran does something like this again, the UN may actually have to take even more drastic measures like releasing another press statement... :laugh:

:laugh:

ya just ask hoywhateveritis, he will tell you that they have real credibility. Well for that matter every country has more credibility than us, cause @m3r!ka Sux0rS

It is clear that you are a typical liberal who would never support war regardless of the cause. Thus your opinions have no credibility. I like the idea that we have 130+ thousand troops in the region. They are not being held down by hostilities in Iraq. If the situation were dire enough, they would already be in the theater.

I never said I was a Pacifist... I just believe we can settle dusputes more often Diplomatically then by making false WMD claims and going to war(we know were they are...right)....its clear you are a conservative Warmonger.

-Grant

I never said I was a Pacifist... I just believe we can settle dusputes more often Diplomatically then by making false WMD claims and going to war(we know were they are...right)....its clear you are a conservative Warmonger.

-Grant

Well, WTF aren't you thrilled Bush is using international DIPLOMACY rather than invading? :rolleyes:

Can't win for Losing :laugh:

World Credibility?

Credibility among whom? The Europeans who can't keep their own houses clean? the Russsians who have had revolt after revolt after revolt in the ruins of their country? The Chinese? the Koreans? Third world? Muslim world? Even the UN can't stop from being a bunch of crooked embezzlers.

Just who's opinion are we so worried about?

Look, If others have it better or can do it better, than fine, thumb your noses, but all I see when I look at the rest of the supposed advanced nations is more of the same. Political unrest, rash decisions, terrorism within their borders, racism, rioting, genocidal wars, religious wars, imperialism, military actions in places they aren't welcome...

Yeah, I want credibility with THAT bunch of hypocrites.

F the rest of the world and their opinion. Let them clean up their own houses before pointing at ours.

~Bang

I don't disagree, but shouldn't we be heeding those words too?

Good point. I'm no Bush guy, but I do get tired of hearing how everything the US does is so terrible, and how much the whole world hates us and looks down at us. well F em. They have nothing to stand on to be looking down at ANYBODY.

In terms of how we handle ourselves with the major issues that confront human beings, issues of race, issues of poverty, hunger, equality, I would say that hardly any other nation on this Earth handles it as well as we do. We routinely live and work and love and co-exist among every culture on Earth. It's all here. You can't say that for other places. Other places don't have the sheer diversity of cultures we embrace. We may not be perfect, but we try to get along together, and within the context of the rest of the world and many of THEIR attitudes towards diversity and tolerance of differences, we do a TERRIFIC job of it.

I don't think there is a sane person on earth who thinks it's a good idea to allow Iran to have nuclear weapon capability. I believe (i don't know) that we were hoping that the climate of more moderate thinking that had existed in Iran would turn the tide away from the extremists without further action, but unfortunately, it seems in this last election, the strong-men have managed to take that away and may have to be dealt with eventually.

The theory seems to have been to install democracy in one place, get rid of a guy that even his muslim neighbors didn't like, and hope the spark of freedom would cause the other nations to follow suit, and to an extent it has somewhat worked. There have been loosenings of the grips of totalitarianism in many of the surrounding nations since we've begun this campaign. And I think the main proof of it all has been the fact that the Jihad that these lunatics had hoped to create hasn't materialized. The muslim world has not risen up en-masse as the fanatics had hoped, most of them seem to be taking a 'wait and see' posture. there is an insurgency, sure. but it's not even close to what they had hoped to create when the Great Satan came knocking on the door.

Sometimes world events force actions that you may not want or like to do. 9/11 is one. Pearl Harbor was another. And Iran attempting to enrich weapons grade uranium while loudly threatening another nation (Israel) is another. I don't doubt for a second that once they get ahold of a bomb that works, they'll use it.

As it is, the whole situation to this point has been handled diplomatically, albeit threats have been exchanged, some more subtle than others.

No matter if anyone is a conservative or a liberal or anything, the Iranian situation is a very dangerous thing, and no matter who the president is it should not be ignored or handled lightly.

~Bang

Good point. I'm no Bush guy, but I do get tired of hearing how everything the US does is so terrible, and how much the whole world hates us and looks down at us. well F em. They have nothing to stand on to be looking down at ANYBODY.

In terms of how we handle ourselves with the major issues that confront human beings, issues of race, issues of poverty, hunger, equality, I would say that hardly any other nation on this Earth handles it as well as we do. We routinely live and work and love and co-exist among every culture on Earth. It's all here. You can't say that for other places. Other places don't have the sheer diversity of cultures we embrace. We may not be perfect, but we try to get along together, and within the context of the rest of the world and many of THEIR attitudes towards diversity and tolerance of differences, we do a TERRIFIC job of it.

I don't think there is a sane person on earth who thinks it's a good idea to allow Iran to have nuclear weapon capability. I believe (i don't know) that we were hoping that the climate of more moderate thinking that had existed in Iran would turn the tide away from the extremists without further action, but unfortunately, it seems in this last election, the strong-men have managed to take that away and may have to be dealt with eventually.

The theory seems to have been to install democracy in one place, get rid of a guy that even his muslim neighbors didn't like, and hope the spark of freedom would cause the other nations to follow suit, and to an extent it has somewhat worked. There have been loosenings of the grips of totalitarianism in many of the surrounding nations since we've begun this campaign. And I think the main proof of it all has been the fact that the Jihad that these lunatics had hoped to create hasn't materialized. The muslim world has not risen up en-masse as the fanatics had hoped, most of them seem to be taking a 'wait and see' posture. there is an insurgency, sure. but it's not even close to what they had hoped to create when the Great Satan came knocking on the door.

Sometimes world events force actions that you may not want or like to do. 9/11 is one. Pearl Harbor was another. And Iran attempting to enrich weapons grade uranium while loudly threatening another nation (Israel) is another. I don't doubt for a second that once they get ahold of a bomb that works, they'll use it.

As it is, the whole situation to this point has been handled diplomatically, albeit threats have been exchanged, some more subtle than others.

No matter if anyone is a conservative or a liberal or anything, the Iranian situation is a very dangerous thing, and no matter who the president is it should not be ignored or handled lightly.

~Bang

I think you touched on something incredibly important. EVERYONE was expecting something to happen in Iran with the moderate youth. And by all means, something should have happened. Unfortunately, our current campaign has incitied the Islamic world enough for the radical leadership to still hold power. I don't think we're doing ourselves any good by pissing them off, because as I've said before, we're fighting an ideology, and it's just going to grow stronger the angrier they get. Radical Islam is like an oil fire; you can't beat it by just throwing water all over it. It'll just spread. You need to contain it and wait for it to burn itself out.

I think you touched on something incredibly important. EVERYONE was expecting something to happen in Iran with the moderate youth. And by all means, something should have happened. Unfortunately, our current campaign has incitied the Islamic world enough for the radical leadership to still hold power. I don't think we're doing ourselves any good by pissing them off, because as I've said before, we're fighting an ideology, and it's just going to grow stronger the angrier they get. Radical Islam is like an oil fire; you can't beat it by just throwing water all over it. It'll just spread. You need to contain it and wait for it to burn itself out.

You want to back that theory up with some facts. How do you know that our being in Iraq has allowed the radical leadership to remain in power? Enlighten us.

How do you know leaving Iraq now will/ or making a time table will embolden the ememy or cause them to wait us out?... like Dick Chaney likes to say..

-Grant

Leaving Iraq now would be a victory for the insurgency/terrorists. How could it not embolden them. Even the Dems are backpedaling on this point. It is common sense.

Archived