Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington Comments

Reaganaut

Arrington is becoming my favorite Redskin. He commented on WTEM that at FedEx Field Spurrier had the defense running all over the field. He called Spurrier a "brain" who is going to give defensive coordinators in the NFC a lot of problems.

I also like the fact that there is comraderie appearing between the linebackers now. I was skeptical about Arrington his first year, but if he hasn't already he owns this town. He "gets it" as far as the fans of the team are concerned.

You couldn't be more right. In my opinion, Arrington will follow in Darrell's footsteps as "Mr. Redskin". This guy has it all, the personality, the game, and the right attitude.

As for his comments about Spurrier's system, wow. Arrington is a smart defensive player and for him to compliment Spurrier like that means he has seen promise of our offensive system in practice and knows it will work. I really like the way this offseason is going.

Arrington will own the city, because he plays with extreme passion and seems like an all around likeable guy. He seems to have some personality and a sense of humor, but on the field he's a tough warrior.

We now have three warrior, never quite, aggressive, ball-hawking LB's now. I can't wait to see how they perform together...

I am so completely bummed. Back in LaVar's rookie season, someone started a thread around Week 4 making the case that he was a "bust," and would go down as one of the "busts" of all time, based on the fact that he was a head case (remember Jerseygate?), and that he had had the nerve to come to camp out of shape, and was slow to learn the playbook and looked lost on the field, and that he had come from PSU where the LB's never amount to much once they get to the big leagues, and that he hadn't even been able to beat out whatever stiff was starting at SSLB that year. Remarkably, several of our brothers agreed – though I'm sure none will admit to it now. :)

At any rate, I recall writing an impassioned plea for sanity and patience on LaVar's behalf that day, that I would just LOVE to be able to pull up (a la Brother Mick) right about now for some love.

Bummed, I tell you.

I remember that too, Om. My God, those few souls didn't want to give him ANY time to adjust to the NFL. They bought into the notion that he would come out of the gates playing like LT, which was impossible. He's coming around just fine, thank you very much.

Now, if he would just stop knocking himself silly every other game. :)

Yeah, "I love LA". In the last 2 years Arrington has given me great hope that the Redskins will once again be a great team. He just shows tremendous heart and seems to have that attitude that no matter the situation, he's going to keep trying and will not be satisfied with mediocrity. I think that had been missing from the Redskins for a while, once the Norv thing wasn't quite working and Norv never seemed to light a fire under the team and the players didn't step up and do it on their own.

And then there's that awesome feeling that even if you saw it from across the room from the TV, when you see that huge hit on even a normal play you just know it's Arrington.

i like arrington also....but let's be real about this fellas....the man is shrewd: he knows first and foremost that the NFL is a business; he knows he has a limitted time on stage; he knows that one of the avenues to riches is appealing to the fans (advertsiing contracts, business ctcs, etc., quickly follow). he's a pleasure to watch and his growing maturity is reasssuring. but make no mistake.......lavar is playing the angles and working his image as a marketable product. and there aint anything wrong with that!!!! btw, anyone heard anything about his kid? he never appears with his child in news clips or at the stadium......

Fansince62, You are right about the marketing side of it, he does know how to work that angle. HOWEVER, I have been to the last two training camps where he was so nice, he talked to fans, signed for little kids, gave away gloves and was just an overall great guy.....with no cameras recording it, and without getting paid for it. I don't think we should try to assume that his charisma is a complete facade.

Regarding marketing:

I remember an interview with Glenn Brenner, where he was of the opinion that free agancy wouldn't appreciably hurt teams like the Redskins. His reasoning was: there are a lot of players on the Redskins who make (at least at that time) more money from activities around town than they do from the Skins directly.

Washington is a town where any player (and many former players) can at least draw a crowd to an autograph signing at, say, a car lot. And that kind of fan support can make a career in Washington more desirable than other places.

As to LaVarr's marketing:

I've often thought that, if I were an agent for some trash-talking kid who thought the world revolved around him, I'd point out that Michael Jordon makes more money from endorsements than he does from playing basketball, and one reason he gets that money is because he is (or at least looks to the public like) a nice guy.

Theory: when you want endorsement money, nice guys get paid more.

one reason he gets that money is because he is (or at least looks to the public like) a nice guy.

I don't think that's universally true. Look at Allen Iverson. He's sitting pretty with his thug persona. Same with Mike Tyson. He is a money making machine, and nobody has ever accused him of being squeaky clean.

I like what I have seen in LaVar, I hope he is in D.C. for a while, hopefully a few years down the road he will not be a June 1st Salary Cap Causality or not show up for mini-camp due to contract extension negations like a big named LB in Baltimore.

My lurking led to curiousity and here I am ;)

I just had to add this gem to thread and it is very relevant and shows how history can repeat itself. Yes it will have Gibbs name in it.

In 1983 sometime in the summer, Joe Theismann was asked what he thought of Joe Gibbs system. Well this was fresh off the Superbowl win over Miami and even though the Skins would lose to the Raiders after the 1983 season, something was apparent.

Theismann said "he's an offensive genious!". Many thought, well he did take you guys to the SB and all, but genious is stretching it a little. There were so many negative comments and teams with players like Ronnie Lott, thought little of Gibbs and the Skins. There was laughter before the 1983 season started and albeit off the comment from JoeyT.

Well 1983 was the year the Skins set the NFL record for points scored, the boasted a 14-2 record, had one of the highest plus to minus turnover ratios, led in time of possession, and led most teams at halftime by at least 14 to 20 points!

As for the SF49ers and Ronnie Lott, well, he and his teammates were invited to RFK for the NFC Championship and they lost to us 24-21. Lott complained the ball was uncatchable, but the replay showed that Art Monk or with his ability to leap and stretch could have easily caught it for 6 leaving Lott, who was the fastest Safety in all of football, in the dust! After all, it was supposed to be a rout for the 49ers, why were they shut down and giving up so many points??? :silly:

Om,

FWIW, about the time you were bummed about Jerseygate I participated on the alt....redskins board on the Usenet and the same types of thread appeared there.

Someone jumped in and said he was Lavar's brother and told everyone that Lavar "gets it" and understands what is happening. I exchanged a couple messages with his and told him in no uncertain terms that Lavar is following three high draft picks who held out and were driven out of town by fans.

I also mentioned that Lavar could go down with Art Monk, John Riggins, Wilbur Marshall or Joe Jacoby if he played his cards right. His brother insisted on his honor that Lavar understood this completely and was nothing at all like the media portrayed him.

(BTW, I didn't really know this was his brother, but I ran his email address through google and this guy had sold quite a few sets of four tickets to skins games in other forums.)

Archived