Extremeskins

Coach Walker presser.

Art

DeWayne Walker

Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach

Carlos Rogers/Jason Campbell Press Conference

April 25, 2005

On 2005 first-round draft pick cornerback Carlos Rogers:

"Carlos is a very good athlete. He has good size and good speed. He's aggressive. His style of play really fits in our division going against Dallas, Philly and New York. So we're really happy to have his attributes with us on defense. There's a definite need at the position and obviously he was one of the top three corners in the draft. I feel fortunate to have a chance to coach him and keep him going."

On Fred Smoot leaving and the void left in the secondary:

"It's always tough losing a player like Fred. He's in the prime of his career right now. But due to free agency and the style of the NFL right now sometimes those things are unavoidable. We knew we had to replace him because he was one of the better players on our defense last season."

On comparing the cornerbacks available in the 2005 draft:

“We liked all three of them. You could say we liked Carlos more or (Antrel) Rolle or Pacman (Adam Jones) but all three of them are very good college corners and we liked all three. On draft day anything can happen so we just needed to see how it was going to develop. We're happy Carlos fell to us. Obviously, we knew there was a good chance that at the 9th pick, two of those guys would be gone."

On the possibility of Rogers being a starter in 2005:

"If you look at Gregg Williams' history as a coordinator, none of his first rounders came in as a starter. Even though we drafted him for a reason -- with Shawn (Springs) and Walt (Harris) you have two veterans and two thirty-year olds -- we're going to be patient with him and when the time is right he'll get in there. For Carlos it's a pretty good situation for him comparatively speaking to maybe Rolle or Pacman that he has two veteran corners that have started a lot of games in the league. It gives us a chance on defense to really develop him. May the best man win."

On USC wide receiver Mike Williams also being available at the 9th pick:

"Gregg Williams is the voice of the defense. Between Gregg, Coach Gibbs, Vinny Cerrato and Mr. Snyder they pretty much made the decision. I know Mike Williams was also still on the board but defensively we're real happy Mr. Snyder decided to take Carlos."

On if picking a defensive player over an offensive player with the 1st pick was a testament to what the defensive coaching staff accomplished in 2004:

"In this league you need corners. And Fred Smoot did a lot of good things for us. To leave a void at that position, especially in the league, it was an obvious choice to replace Fred with a talent like Carlos Rogers."

On if the coaching staff conveys the legacy of being a Redskins' cornerback (Darrell Green, Champ Bailey...) to the younger players:

"These guys, they know that already coming in. We want to try and keep that tradition going. We're fortunate to have Shawn and Walt and now Carlos."

On Rogers' versatility:

"When you break it down, in the NFC East there are big, physical receivers. He's fast, he's physical and he's athletic. He's been well-coached. He can also play in the slot which is an added dimension. He brings a lot to the table."

"Gregg Williams is the voice of the defense. Between Gregg, Coach Gibbs, Vinny Cerrato and Mr. Snyder they pretty much made the decision. I know Mike Williams was also still on the board but defensively we're real happy Mr. Snyder decided to take Carlos."

WTF??!!!!! I thought Gibbs was calling the shots.

Originally posted by stburn

Que? Snyder? Que?

Originally posted by TheLongshot

See, I was right, Rogers probably won't start from day one. People think we draft a guy, and he's going to start immediately, but it takes time to get up to speed in the NFL game.

Jason

He is a very good player. I am convinced if he comes into camp on time he will be our starter against the Bears.

People, settle down.

As Walker said, Williams voices the thoughts of the defensive staff. They aren't even there in the room. Williams is and he pings his guys. Gibbs makes the ultimate decisions. Snyder signs the checks and technically, each NFL owner ultimately allows each pick, so, Walker was simply thanking the owner.

It happens all the time.

I'm really surprised there aren't more people jumping on the quote about Snyder picking Rogers. Probably just a slip of the tongue but it IS a quote from one of our coaches implying that Snyder has the final say in draft decisions.

Originally posted by Hooper

If Snyder was making the picks, there's no way in hell we would have taken Rogers at nine.

Agreed. Would have Been Aaron Rodgers, Mike Williams, Shawne Merriman or Troy Williamson.

Glad it wasnt/isnt ultimately up to Dan anymore.

Originally posted by mookie0720

You're reading way too much into that quote.

How can you read to much into that quote. He said it. He slipped. If Gibbs really was making the decision then he would have said Gibbs. It means that personel wise or money wise Danny is making the final call. All of the crap floating around today about how ex players are ashamed. We should be ashamed. We are the die hard fans of the biggest laughing stock in professional sports right now. Our savior is in full damage control mode. I want Gibbs to be drawing up new schemes to beat NFC East opponents. I don't want him out a Fedex on draft day. We need a GM and we need a new owner. I used to defend Snyder but I can't do it anymore. We shouldn't see his face or hear his name anywhere in the media until we start winning. Just own. Owners own, players play and coaches coach. :puke:

Archived