Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- Modern Art?

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

This $hit is ridiculous. I hate is the frickin' morons who make a sculpture of Jesus with no arms out of cow $hit, and then pass it off as art and say we're all too dumb to understand it. Everytime I walk into an art gallery and I see people marveling over $hit like that, I want to punch every single quote, unquote "ar-tist" who thinks up ludacris ideas with the sole intent being to look smarter than everybody else.

They sit in their studios all day and act like they have all the answers, acting like soldiers who are fighting for their freedom are scum because they're not drinking espresso and talking about the hypocrisy of organized religion or the beauty in a pile of $hit. I'd like to equip every single one of them with a flamethrower and drop them into a tribal region of Pakistan. Then I'd come back to America and sit in a New York coffee house three blocks from Ground Zero and talk about how the architecture on the wtc was all wrong. :soapbox:

This $hit isn't art. It's $hit created purely to receive government funding because we feel the need to appeal to this "artsy"-fartsy bull$hit.

Eff em all...jerkoffs. :jerkoff:

Of course...what everyone failed to read in that original article was this line...

It's an interesting idea -- inventive enough to warrant a $10,000 grant from the private, nonprofit Public Art Fund

So again, how is my tax money funding this particular so-called art?

Now if we are on the subject of not wanting the taxpayers money going to something...lets talk about Star Wars (no not Attack of the Clones) or welfare to people who simply have kids to gain more $.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Of course...what everyone failed to read in that original article was this line...

It's an interesting idea -- inventive enough to warrant a $10,000 grant from the private, nonprofit Public Art Fund

So again, how is my tax money funding this particular so-called art?

Now if we are on the subject of not wanting the taxpayers money going to something...lets talk about Star Wars (no not Attack of the Clones) or welfare to people who simply have kids to gain more $.

Not everyone missed it and the indications are that the assumption is probably wrong that the others did.

Wait a minute,

If Norman Rockwell paints a scene of robust, homespun, Americana, with a freshly baked pie in the window of a cosy cottage, and a couple of young rascals ready to grab it, then it's art.

But is someone sets up the scene and acts it out as sort of a living painting, it isn't?

What's the diff? And why are you guys so uptight about it?

I can almost understand why this would appeal to a certain group of people. I don't give a damn who did it. Jackson Pollack has a "painting" up in the National Art Gallery of a piece of canvas with a ****roach that got stuck in the paint and just stayed there. There is another piece, I have no idea who it's by, and it's just a big sheet of paper that he did calculations on. This is NOT art. This is stuff that dumb people use to elevate themselves above everyone else.

Yea. i know. I've said this a few times already. Can't resist it. Some people can look at Picasso and see brilliance. Some can look at Picasso and ask; "Who spilled the paint?" :cheers:

Oh. And what OPM said. :D

I find some of the highly hostile reactions here to Anissa Mack's Pies for a Passerby really perplexing. The linkage that has been drawn by some here between this piece and Robert Mapplethorpe's clearly controversial work is so off-base that it's downright laughable. The reality is that Pies for a Passerby is about as innocuous as modern art gets, folks.

If you dislike or disagree with what Mack is doing, fine. Don't go see it. Nobody is forcing anyone here to view her work or foot the bill for it. She's doing Pies for a Passerby with private funding, which is how art should be paid for, in my opinion.

Much of what goes on in modern art today does little for me. However, I have no problem with modern art that opts for an aggressive and in-your-face style. For me, painting, sculpture and still photography are at such a pronounced disadvantage in terms of being able to provide an arresting, visceral and immersive experience for their audience when compared against the pervasive, full-on, sensorial power of the mass media (namely modern hi-tech moviemaking, high-definition, 500-channels-plus TV programming and internet-based fare) that I have no problem with artists in these fields doing what they must in order to create a stir and garner some attention for their work.

Which isn't to say that I necessarily like or agree with the lengths to which some artists go to in order to get that attention. But when I stroll into a gallery or museum, I much prefer to see something by, say, Andy Warhol, Barbara Krueger or Cindy Sherman (whose Untitled Film Stills series from the late 1970s contains some of the best, most evocative still images ever committed to celluloid), something big, bold and colorful that really jumps out at me, as opposed to some Classical piece of art that drably and stodgily sits there on its pedestal or in its frame, silently begging appreciation and adoration from me. If I wanted to subject myself to something staid, static and thoroughly dull, I'd save myself the trek to a gallery or museum and go down to my local video store and rent a Merchant/Ivory flick.

Originally posted by OPM

What highly hostile reactions are your talking about?

Mainly OS's. And the e-man seconded his angry sentiments. So that makes two, which technically (albeit narrowly) constitutes a plurality of opinion, hence my aforementioned reference to "reactions." :)

Originally posted by OPM

Unless he told you different, IT would refer to the art I mentioned, not the specific piece the article mentioned.

No, I haven't talked to OS about this. Have you? If not, you do realize that it could be argued that you are being as equally presumptuous as myself on this minutely specific matter here, correct? ;)
Originally posted by OPM

You do realize this is all about football addiction? Have you ever seen an addict not get his fix? Not a pretty sight :high:

I feel your pain, OPM. I can't wait till the season finally gets here. In the meantime, though, as much as I enjoy debating modern art, I'd much rather spend my offseason downtime posting cheesecake pics in the Babe Alert thread over at Tailgate. :D

Well, I guess I should specify my intentions. I wasn't referring specifically specifically to that piece of art (I hope you're not as confused as I am by that sentence). I was just using it as an example for other pieces of crap. Well, now that that's cleared up, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :cheers:

Archived