Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"FEAR THA D!" (What to do w/our 2 firsts...)

jtyler42

(warning long thread)

After reading the interview w/Doc Walker I sat and thought about what I think we should do in this draft and it came to me!

"FEAR THA D"

What I mean by this is that I believe we should go D w/our 2 first round picks...We have many holes to fill on both sides of the ball and a limited amount of picks to fill them with...

In looking at our team the D is farther ahead than our O in it's development under this coaching staff and w/the addition of a few playmakers has the potential to be a dominate D in the NFL...Can we say the same for our offense, even w/the addition of a top offensive player from this yr's draft will that push us into the top echelon of offenses in the NFL? The answer is NO...We simply have too many question marks on that side of the ball to think that 1 player will make that great a difference...

Therefore w/pick #9 we draft DE Shawne Merriman : he will provide us w/a dynamic edge rusher that will consistenly pressure the QB and make plays in the backfield + give us versatility in our zone blitz scheme w/his ability to drop back...

W/pick #25 we draft CB Marlin Jackson : He is an ideal Greg Williams CB he is big 6'0 198lbs and runs a 4.45...He would provide us w/another physical presence at CB that can support the run, blitz, and cover + he has sound technique for the position which should allow him to come in and start right away...

Potential starting D:

LE Daniels

DT Griffin

DT Salave'a/Noble

RE Merriman

WLB Arrington

MLB Barrow/Marshall

SLB Washington

CB Springs

CB Jackson

FS Taylor

SS Bowen

I can hear it now: "Our D is fine they finished #3 last yr" or "We need to address our O the real weakness of the team" valid points but we can all agree that our D overachieved last yr so why not add more to it to make it dominate... W/a dominate D and average O that equals perennial playoff contender, if you dont believe it look to our neighbors to the north "The Ratbirds" they are perennially in the playoff hunt and won a SB w/this formula so did Tampa Bay...

W/so many needs to fill on both sides of the ball and so few picks I think going D will allow the team as constituted to make an immediate playoff push...Just my :2cents: .....:logo:

Ps: this will all be moot if we make any trades on draft day! :doh:

I totally agree with Merriman at No. 9!

I think that our D was good last year, but we did lose two top performers.

We have neglected out D-Line for so long here in DC.

We have a chance (if things shake down right) to get the premier DE in the draft (something a bunch of us ES'ers wanted last year, but it wasn't the right tiime)

I truly hope all of this talk of receivers and conerbacks are a smokescreen so that teams won't try to jump in front of us and nab Merriman, because that's a real possiblity.

Merriman will give us a beast on the line to got with our beasts @ LB (Arrington/Washington) and our beasts in the defensive backfield (Taylor/Bowen).

Just thinking about that, I'm loving that defense, even moreso than last years!

Only a few more hours (actually a day) to go!

another reason that i like going after d with both of those picks is that i don't think people are giving enough respect to the casey raback pick up. all the reporters want to bash our o, but if jansen is back to form and raback plays to his level, then that settles a thousand offensive questions. funny how the press bashes us for always going after the flashy playmaker, but don't give us respect for solidifying a line in the offseason. i don't care how many people are in the box next year, the health of jansen and pick up of raback adds 10 points a game for our offense.

Originally posted by big#44

One quick point about Tampa having an average Offense. Didnt Brad Johnson got to the Pro Bowl that year?

Yes he did. He made the Pro bowl being the QB for an average offense. The leading receiver barely got 1K yards and had only 5 TD's. Its not like the NFC had many Qb's that year to challenge him in making the pro bowl though. 2 of the Qbs who made it had fewer than 20 TD passes.

The Bucs offense still didnt score many points and they rode the defense to a championship that year.

I totally agree on going defense with this draft. We already did enough with the receiving corps by trading Coles for Moss and by adding Patten. If that doesn't work out then enough is said by those moves already without using 2 drafts worth of picks on one more of the same.

I mean, is Braylon Edwards or Milke Williams really worth 2 (or 3) 1sts a 3rd a 4th and Smoot and Pierce? Because that is what it amonts to when you look at the moves already made.

Originally posted by SkinsFTW

I totally agree on going defense with this draft. We already did enough with the receiving corps by trading Coles for Moss and by adding Patten. If that doesn't work out then enough is said by those moves already without using 2 drafts worth of picks on one more of the same.

I mean, is Braylon Edwards or Milke Williams really worth 2 (or 3) 1sts a 3rd a 4th and Smoot and Pierce? Because that is what it amonts to when you look at the moves already made.

What I'm hoping for is that the skins will keep the #9 (or trade down a few spots) and get Rogers then at #25 get a DE or WR (If we trade down and get a 2nd round pick-get matt jones).

I think Rogers at 9 and Matt Roth at 25 is more likely. This would be great, the defense could always be better. THe offense will peform a hundard times better with Ramsey starting 16 games, Jansen and Rabach on the O-Line, and Patten and Moss starting at the wideout spot. I hope we go defense, WR are better bought in free agency than developed from a draft anyway.

I want redskins players... If that means

Merriman/Washington

Rogers/Roth

James/jackson

I don't care. I want our staff to find more Chris Coolies and less Santana Mosses.

We need guys that play for the Redskins, not guys that think the staff in Ashburn work for them.

We need passion, loyalty and selflessness.

We no longer have a third so that is out. But have any of you guys watched Marlin. He is so good that they made him a safety his junior year! He got beat at least 5 times in the 10 Mich. games I watched this year and was lit up like a torch against state. This kid is 2-3 years from NFL starting CB at best IMHO. Sometimes I think people here just look at their stats to decide who is good or who fits:rolleyes:

I don't agree with this:

W/pick #25 we draft CB Marlin Jackson : He is an ideal Greg Williams CB he is big 6'0 198lbs and runs a 4.45...He would provide us w/another physical presence at CB that can support the run, blitz, and cover + he has sound technique for the position which should allow him to come in and start right away...

He's a zone corner. He's not nearly quick enough to man up in our scheme. Pass.

Archived