Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i can see clearly now

ohioskinfan

All the smoke screens and what ifs are driving everyone crazy. My vision of the move to 25 is different. I believe the #9 pick is the trade pick for a veteran. I see a straight trade for Clement at this pick. Why you ask-history JG wants veterans and will use the money needed for the #9 pick to offset the cost of signing him. The 25 pick is the bpa for the offense, probally Miller.

Now some thoughts on our trade. As a GM, would you value the number of picks, the quality of picks, or the cap as your priority?

1.We can argue that draft picks builds the team of the future, but as everyone knows, its a crap shoot. Having 12 picks is great if you get starters or role players, but 7-10 probally wont make the team, or package picks for a higher draft, or trade.

2.Quality of picks? the #1 can be a bust, and #180 could be a gem, crap shoot again.

3.Cap space is the most criticle to me. The ability to resign players, bid for free agents, and take hits as players now seem to dictate when the teams or players situation changes. To go along these lines, lets take Ramsey for example. If he is our future as JG described, This is the year to sign the long term contract, and because of our cap, we cant even negotiate at this time. We have to wait till after June to sign Moss, with cap space this would have been worked out before the trade. Gardener would generate the 3rd round pick we deserve, but every team in the league knows we need the 2 million for our cap, and will wait for his release, or steal him for a 4th or 5th rounder.

Next years 1st rd pick (crap shoot), Brunnels june 1st cut, possible Arrington trade, and fiscle management all of the sudden might get us back in posistion to be competative, and start recieving extra picks instead of giving them up every year.

Originally posted by ohioskinfan

My vision of the move to 25 is different. I believe the #9 pick is the trade pick for a veteran. I see a straight trade for Clement at this pick.

This would mean we gave up a 1st, 3rd & 4th to aquire the rights to Clements who still needs to get a contract because he's a free agent next year 2006 and we know how uys are about changing team the year before their contract is due. (cough, moss cough)

:doh:

Originally posted by Blue Collar Skins

...the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way....

...gone is the smoke screen that had me blind--it's gonna be a bright, bright, sun shining day...

EDIT: Gothimus beat me by mere seconds. Damn you Gothimus. :)

Originally posted by SkinsRback04

He is a pro bowl player who fits Williams system to a tee. Doesn't hurt that he is young.

Go here and check his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235204

The guy is a natural ballhawk.

I see now.. Didn't know he went to the pro bowl last year. Even if he was a 2nd injury replacement pro bowler his stats speak for themself. Doesn't hurt that Williams drafted him either.

Originally posted by TaylorGreedy

I see now.. Didn't know he went to the pro bowl last year. Even if he was a 2nd injury replacement pro bowler his stats speak for themself. Doesn't hurt that Williams drafted him either.

It just wouldn't get much better than Springs and Clements on the corners.

If you compare their stats last year they are just about identical except for the sacks.

We would be set for a long time.

Getting that #25 has to have been as a result of trying to secure a vet on another team. I, too, believe it's Clements, but strange things can happen on draft day.

I'd say that if it is Clements, we've already have secured permission to talk to him by Buffalo.

Buffalo is hot for a #1 pick, and they haven't been able to do anything with Clements.

And did anyone figure out where Gibbs was on Tuesday? Other than in Alabama.

I would love Clements too BUT

how can all you Clements entusiasts continue to ignore the fact that like Moss he is scheduled to be a FA after next season? This is not a minor BUT considering the fact that Clements would likely command a contract similar to Smoot. Yes, the same Smoot who we couldnt afford to keep around.

So, please tell me....where does this plan fit into reality?

Anyone?

Originally posted by jpark

I would love Clements too BUT

how can all you Clements entusiasts continue to ignore the fact that like Moss he is scheduled to be a FA after next season? This is not a minor BUT considering the fact that Clements would likely command a contract similar to Smoot. Yes, the same Smoot who we couldnt afford to keep around.

So, please tell me....where does this plan fit into reality?

Anyone?

Clements is much better than Smoot...

Precisely...and that is just a part of the considerations that go into personnel decisions of the new NFL. Clements may have been targeted as a possible long ago with a salary projection larger than Smoot. Smoot simply exceeded what we wanted to pay for him and forget the other possibilities.

If Clements or whichever Vet comes in and signs for something close to Springs money, it's a deal. But Smoot wanted more. If a Clements or Surtain can't be signed for reasonable money then we go draft one.

Archived