Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

..talked to a guy who golfed w/Greg Williams and...

Skinsfan1311

...we had an interesting conversation last night. Please take it for what it's worth, as I have no way of checking the credibility of his story..but he does own a store, here in Glen Burnie and he's a hard-core Skins fan. I shop there because he has the best inventory of Skins stuff, right in the middle of Ratbird territory.... and he worked hard with my wife to get me an authentic Riggo jersey a few years ago. I'm not sure of the guidelines, so I'll leave the name out...if it's cool to post...I'll put out there later today, in this thread.... He said that they golfed last Thursday, (I think)Anyway the gist of the conversation was about the "D". He's very happy with how things are progressing right now, and confident.....until the subject of Sean Taylor came up. He told him that Taylor really needs to be here, (I know...old news), but the interesting thing, to me, is that Williams called Taylor, a few times, and he didn't return his phone calls! He also said, "that doesn't go over well with me at all and when he does return, his ass won't be practicing with the 1st team!" If the guy wasn't BS me, I hope that's exactly what he does...not that it'll have much affect given ST's punk-ass me-first attitude,(IMHO .;) ) If he does indeed, have Taylor practice with the 2nd teamers, then the info I got from the guy would prove legit...if not, what the hell it ain't earth-shattering stuff, but hey, we're all starved for some Skins news! Have a great weekend!

well the not returning calls was known from Gibbs already. However, Taylor practicing with the 2nd team, Id like to see them try, it would be pretty funny. However, it could backfire, itd be meant to instill discipline, but he may just take it as a sign that the coaches dont want him here.

Originally posted by section 226

Wow, that is a 180 degree turn from what I heard from Coach Williams Wednesday night. Then again I only talked to him for a few minutes and your friend talked to him for 18 holes.:D

We'll see! Williams is definitely a class act....I hope it's true and that it proves the point to ST, that no one is bigger than the team..:helmet:

I hope this is the approach that our staff takes with these players.

The atmosphere needs to change from a star-friendly place to a equal organization. For too long we had players in the ear of Danny Snyder and owner-favorites getting a free ride. That has to change.

If Sean Taylor wants to play his hand, then he can see if he likes the cards that GW is holding. Taylor has to realize that he signed a 7-year contract. If we want to play hardball, he could sit the bench until he's in his late 20s (I realize it would never get this far, but I don't think modern-day players realize that the staff has ALL the leverage when it comes right down to it).

I think a coaches job is to reward players who bust their asses. If Taylor comes back on the 2nd team it is no big deal. If anything it is a reward for the players who have been around working with the team, rather than a disciplinary measure against ST. I mean, it is only fair to the other guys.

I am sure ST will work his way back up to first team rather quickly.

I guess this what you get when you draft a Miami player. They have a tradition. I thought about this, and talked to some of my Giants freindly fans (don't hold it against them, they are menatlly challenged) and after giving it some thought it is a positive thing. The players from UM take incredible pride in their play as professionals. They always rep UM, and see it as a fratenity of some sort. I can't hold it against a guy if he's striving for excellence, and feels that the players from UM gives him the best chance at reaching that level. Atleast he's not sitting at home.

Originally posted by boobiemiles

I guess this what you get when you draft a Miami player. They have a tradition. I thought about this, and talked to some of my Giants freindly fans (don't hold it against them, they are menatlly challenged) and after giving it some thought it is a positive thing. The players from UM take incredible pride in their play as professionals. They always rep UM, and see it as a fratenity of some sort. I can't hold it against a guy if he's striving for excellence, and feels that the players from UM gives him the best chance at reaching that level. Atleast he's not sitting at home.

So you're saying we have it all wrong, that Santana Moss and Sean Taylor are "striving for excellence" and not avoiding a mini-camp?

Originally posted by smashmowf

VOLUNTARY workouts......VOLUNTARY workouts.

this is less about the workouts and more about not returning phone calls. if my boss is leaving me messages, i'm returning them. definitely a slap in the face to gibbs and williams.

Originally posted by smashmowf

VOLUNTARY workouts......VOLUNTARY workouts.

I think everyone in this era of the NFL understands that word should be in quotes when referring to these workouts.

Regardless, what's to keep the guy from returning a phone call?

Nick

Originally posted by dchogs

this is less about the workouts and more about not returning phone calls. if my boss is leaving me messages, i'm returning them. definitely a slap in the face to gibbs and williams.

some people don't like talking on the phone unless its important. i hardly bother answering my phone or check my voice messages, it took a while but most of my friends and family learned not to call me in an emergency. lol

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

some people don't like talking on the phone unless its important. i hardly bother answering my phone or check my voice messages, it took a while but most of my friends and family learned not to call me in an emergency. lol

Would you give Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams the wrong phone number or not return their calls?

Nick

Sit the punk...I don't care if he sits for the whole length of his contract.....he'll learn that he needs to respect the coaches and bust his a** for them....I was all for drafting him and I still think he was a good choice but he needs to learn that a contract is contract and that he ain't doing sh*t for the next 7 years until his contract is up......the redskins shouldn't renegotiate because it sets a precedence that we don't want set....additionally the skins have been pampering the stars for too long on our team and I think that is a big reason for why our teams that had a great line-up on paper never seemed to produce the results that we were looking for....the redskins and Gibbs should be hard a**es on this and stick it to Taylor....make him an example.....and if Moss continues his BS we shouldn't negotiate a contract and just trade his a**...

Originally posted by Sebowski

Aren't there rules against teams punishing players for missing voluntery work? They shouldn't be allowed to do this. Make these things mandatory, or don't make a bog deal about it. This is stupid.

These workouts are voluntary in name only, because the CBA will only allow teams to have X number of mandatory workouts. They technically can't punish a player for missing it, but you can do things when they finally do show which will basically make them reconsider doing it again in the future, such as not playing them with the first-team, etcetera.

Nick

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

doesn't sound much like a punishment to me. i feel bad for the second team offense.

HAHA, yeah, that's what I was thinking. Practicing with the 2nd team won't be a punishment for ST. It's more like easy practices for ST and punishment for the 2nd team offense.

Originally posted by boobiemiles

No offense, but that has got to be one of the most idiotic justifications I've read about this. :rolleyes:

I think someone earlier mentioned that the Skins can't punish Taylor for skipping these which is probably a good point. However, the league wouldn't be able to prove that his practicing with the second team was due to his missing the workouts.

I think that players now (TO is a great example) feel as if they hold all the cards. Listen, ST signed a contract less than one year ago, and now wants more money...TOUGH! We own his rights and, at some point, he'll have to play by our rules.

:logo:

Archived