Extremeskins

ST:Sweet middle looking tasty for Cowboys

denverdan

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/11391622.htm

Posted on Thu, Apr. 14, 2005

Sweet middle looking tasty for Cowboys

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - The Cowboys' 2005 schedule is a lot like a jelly doughnut: somewhat tougher on the ends and squishy in the middle.

They open their season with three of four games away from Texas Stadium and close with three of five away from home. But what that means is the grind of the schedule, the middle months leading up to Thanksgiving, when the playoff battles are really fought, will mostly take place with the Cowboys barely earning a frequent flier mile.

They have five of their seven games in the middle months at home and, as an added bonus, the schedule maker has not loaded the Cowboys down with a bunch of unwinnable games. About the only real monster on their schedule is the Philadelphia Eagles.

Here is a look at the schedule and how the Cowboys might fare:

SUNDAY, SEPT. 11

at San Diego, 3:15 p.m.

After upgrading the defense at considerable expense this off-season, the Cowboys will find out early if they are new and improved or just new. Much like being pounded by Minnesota on opening day in 2004 was a foretaste of the defensive disaster that followed, how the Cowboys fare against LaDainian Tomlinson and Co. should be a good barometer for what lies ahead.

MONDAY, SEPT. 19

vs. Washington, 8 p.m.

The John Madden cruiser, with the rest of the Monday Night Football crew in tow, pulls into Texas Stadium for its only visit. And while the rivalry is unparalleled, they might have picked a better game. The Cowboys have won 14 of their last 15 against the Redskins. They need this one, too, considering it is the only time they are home in September.

SUNDAY, SEPT. 25

at San Francisco, 3:05 p.m.

The good news is the 49ers have not defeated a team not named the Cardinals since 2003. The bad news is they have a new coach (who appears to know what he is doing) and will have a new quarterback (assuming they use the No. 1 pick in the draft a week from Saturday to take Aaron Rodgers). Of course, if he is already being thrown to the wolves in Week 3, that is very good news for the Cowboys.

SUNDAY, OCT. 2

at Oakland, 3:15 p.m.

Don't be surprised if owner Jerry Jones, always the marketing genius, starts selling California Cowboys jerseys. Jones said the schedule presents "some challenges," which is more than the Raiders could say last year when they finished 5-11 and ranked 30th in defense under former Cowboys assistant Norv Turner. They did trade for receiver Randy Moss, a notorious Cowboys killer.

SUNDAY, OCT. 9

vs. Philadelphia, 3:15 p.m.

All might not be right in Eagles-ville, what with Terrell Owens taking pot shots at Donovan McNabb this week, but look for the Eagles to be the cream of the East and probably the whole NFC again.

SUNDAY, OCT. 16

vs. NY Giants, noon

Here is where the real clawing and scratching of the schedule begins. As evidenced by the Cowboys' last-second loss to the Giants in the season finale in 2004, these teams are about at the same spot. Whichever team finds a way to win these games is likely going to hoist themselves into the wild-card battle.

SUNDAY, OCT. 23

at Seattle, 3:05 p.m.

The Cowboys needed Keyshawn Johnson's acrobatics and a last-second comeback to beat the Seahawks in 2004. It probably won't be any easier this season.

SUNDAY, OCT. 30

vs. Arizona, noon

Welcome to the game in shared season ticket packages that everybody is going to try to palm off on somebody else. While the Cardinals are getting better under coach Denny Green, they are still a long way from respectability. Can an NFL game be a must-win in April? If so, this is it.

SUNDAY, NOV. 6

Bye

The bye might be a breather to prepare for a playoff run or a chance to regroup after a rough start.

MONDAY, NOV. 14

at Philadelphia, 8 p.m.

The Eagles are the big, bad wolf of the schedule. They are even better in Philly. The best news for the Cowboys is they will have two weeks to try to find a way to stop them and score against them.

SUNDAY, NOV. 20

vs. Detroit, noon

Unlike the Cowboys, the Lions have not addressed their questionable quarterback situation in the off-season, making former UT receiver Roy Williams a little less dangerous.

THURSDAY, NOV. 24

vs. Denver, 3:15 p.m.

These Broncos do not scare you. They didn't look very good in making the playoffs last season, and they signed former Cowboys defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban to help their pass rush. Things can change and usually do in the NFL, but this is a winnable Thanksgiving game.

SUNDAY, DEC. 4

at NY Giants, noon

Their trip to the suburb by the city that never sleeps kicks off what can best be described as a difficult December for the Cowboys. They play three of four away from Texas Stadium, including two division games.

SUNDAY, DEC. 11

vs. Kansas City, 3:15 p.m.

There is, of course, the question of which Chiefs team is going to take the field in 2005. Is it the 2003 group able to overcome their sorry defense? Or the sorry 7-9 bunch from a year ago that could not? Of course, the same question could be asked about the Cowboys.

SUNDAY, DEC. 18

at Washington, noon

You have to believe that if the Redskins did not find a way to finally beat the Cowboys in September, coach Joe Gibbs is going to be beside himself to get a victory in this one.

SATURDAY, DEC. 24

at Carolina, noon

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue obviously thinks the world could not survive a weekend without the NFL, so he has nearly a full slate of games on Christmas Eve and two on Christmas Day. The Cowboys' gift for going to Charlotte isn't so great, as the Panthers are expected to be a bounce-back team after missing the playoffs in 2004.

SUNDAY, JAN. 1

vs. St. Louis, 7:30 p.m.

This game might decide whether the Cowboys make the playoffs. If the answer is already no, fans should come to see what very well could be coach Bill Parcells' last game with the Cowboys.

Tickets: Call (972) 785-4800 or (972) 785-5000

The Cowboys have won 14 of their last 15 against the Redskins.

Why does that keep tormenting me? Damns it, this better be the year, no more stupid penalties and freak passes (Patrick Crayton shall forever be etched in my mind). This has got to be the year, and the players better have this same drive that we all have.

Originally posted by Mr. S

The Cowboys have won 14 of their last 15 against the Redskins.

Why does that keep tormenting me? Damns it, this better be the year, no more stupid penalties and freak passes (Patrick Crayton shall forever be etched in my mind). This has got to be the year, and the players better have this same drive that we all have.

And I don't want them to eek out wins. I want two games of complete domination. :mad:

Originally posted by PleaseBlitz

At least the paper said there schedule was tougher at the ends. We are their 2nd and 3rd-to-last game.

If we lose twice to Dallas again, i may just join a monestary.

OOOOOHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM................

We can't lose twice to dallas.. not anymore. I've gone through enough big screen TV's the wife is going to kill me..

Beating the snot out of the Cowboys on national television would go a long way towards repairing this organization's bruised confidence and set the tone for the rest of the year.

They absolutely HAVE TO get the monkey off the back. It'll do wonders.

The problem is this monkey is bigger than one game. If we split with them this year the line next year will read "the Cowboys have won 15 of the last 17" which is almost as bad. We need a two or three year run where we go 3-1 or 5-1 (4-2 might work as well) against these guys for the media to stop talking about it every time this game comes up.

Originally posted by dfbovey

Beating the snot out of the Cowboys on national television would go a long way towards repairing this organization's bruised confidence and set the tone for the rest of the year.

They absolutely HAVE TO get the monkey off the back. It'll do wonders.

Bingo! I couldn't agree more.

It worked for the eagles a few years back when they beat the Giants on Monday Night, and haven't looked back. Eagles could never beat the Giants.

Its a perfect stage to break the curse!

Go gettem fellas!

:wewantd:

But what that means is the grind of the schedule, the middle months leading up to Thanksgiving, when the playoff battles are really fought, will mostly take place with the Cowboys barely earning a frequent flier mile.
Funny, but I thought the late-season games were the ones that determined the playoffs and seeding. I have a feeling that if their late season schedule was soft these homers would be saying that. :rolleyes:

Do you guys honestly beleive you can win the Cowboys home opener on a Monday night?

a) The Cowboys have played well in home openers under Parcells. Campo couldn't win one, but the Cowboys have won the last 2 (although the Titans and the Browns weren't exactly world beaters).

B) The Redskins suck against the Cowboys.

c) The Redskins are particulary heinous against the Cowboys on Monday night, and

d) The Redskins are even worse in Texas Stadium.

C'mon. The Cowboys beat you twice last year, and they've gotten better while you've gotten worse. The Redskins have a better chance at FedEx in December, but I just don't see it in week 2.

Originally posted by flashback

Do you guys honestly beleive you can win the Cowboys home opener on a Monday night?

a) The Cowboys have played well in home openers under Parcells. Campo couldn't win one, but the Cowboys have won the last 2 (although the Titans and the Browns weren't exactly world beaters).

c) The Redskins are particulary heinous against the Cowboys on Monday night, and

C'mon. The Cowboys beat you twice last year, and they've gotten better while you've gotten worse. The Redskins have a better chance at FedEx in December, but I just don't see it in week 2.

:blahblah: I'm pretty sure this thread is full of people hoping we beat Dallas. But thanks for your brilliant insight.

Originally posted by flashback

Technically you are correct... Just because the NFL came to the Redskins the following day and apologized for giving you the one game does not mean you didnt get the "W"...

Originally posted by Neophyte

The problem is this monkey is bigger than one game. If we split with them this year the line next year will read "the Cowboys have won 15 of the last 17" which is almost as bad. We need a two or three year run where we go 3-1 or 5-1 (4-2 might work as well) against these guys for the media to stop talking about it every time this game comes up.

You've gotta start with one win. If they don't win it then the mentality remains engrained. Once you get that win, the stigma is significantly weakened and you can go into the next game saying we know we can beat you guys.

Archived