Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

best boxer?

PokerPacker

Originally posted by The Chief

It's true that Ali worshipped Jack Johnson. But Ali (circa 1967) was faster with his hands, just as skillfull, and MUCH faster with his feet than Johnson.

This is why every boxing magazine I've read has Ali rated #1 among heavyweights.

How many of those in boxing magazine have seen Johnson fight? Your probably right that Ali was faster w/his hands. But, he would have never been able to get to the best defensive fighter of all time.

Steven Davis.

Actually, I'd vote for Ali, simply because I've heard so many things about him. (Not really a boxing fan).

But, I also remember, when Sugar Ray was getting his title shot, somebody mentioned some things about his resume. Aparantly, one of his early jobs was working in Ali's training camp.

Supposedly he was fired from Ali's camp, because Ali couldn't hit him.

Sounded like a pretty good reference to me.

Originally posted by DUSTINMFOX

How many of those in boxing magazine have seen Johnson fight? Your probably right that Ali was faster w/his hands. But, he would have never been able to get to the best defensive fighter of all time.

I've seen footage of Jack Johnson, so I assume that professional boxing writers have seen it as well. You can see it too, if you go to the Library of Congress. Cus D'Amato owned footage of Johnson, so I guess it's available to the public somehow.

I agree that Johnson was an awesome fighter. Was he better than Ali? I guess we'll never really know.

But the thing that made (the young) Ali unique was his ability to fight from the outside, then step inside and hit you from any angle before you could blink. Like Jack Johnson, he finished many fights without a mark on his face.

Based on that ability and others, boxing experts (not just writers) pick Ali almost unanimously.

Archived