Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could change ONE Thing this Off-Season....

Originally posted by LightenupSandyBaby

What would you do with ONE Mulligan this Off-Season?

I would have somehow kept Smoot...That's only because I still have his useless Jersey!!!:cuss:

Haha, me too. About the jersey, that is.

I would keep Antonio Pierce, the QB of our defense. Although I feel comfy with Marshall in there, we may find out that AP's football intelligence and understanding of our system will be sorely missed.

As much as I loved (notice the past tense) Smoot, this is a great year to replace a CB.

Originally posted by VaSkinsNut

I'd have kept Pierce...let Smoot walk.

We'll see how Marshall works out though. I have an odd Gut feeling that Marshall may actually be an upgrade to Pierce.

As long as he can stay healthy, you made just be right.

Marshall is a former DB and knows the position well and has played alittle line.

I would have kept Pierce. I believe he was a big reason behind the success of the scheme last year. Remember, without Smoot in that final game we were able to make the second-most potent offense in the league look like a sandlot team. I think Pierce will be missed in this system. How he'll do with the Giants, however, is anyone's guess.

I would have put a one year suspension on the salary cap so that Dan would have full freedom and we could have kept both smoot and pierce, jettisoned Brunnell and Coles and made a real effort to resigning long term our high potential guys.

I, too, bought the Smoot jersey, but he was one of my favorites, so I'd have to say him. I thought he was key to the success of the defense, as well as someone who was established in the locker room. We'll miss him.

Pierce will be tough to replace, but good linebackers are easier to find that good corners.

Pierce. It's hard to find LBs that fit within a system. Corners aren't made for systems. I hope Pierce does well (but not well enough to make the Giants do well), because I don't like hating on former Skins, but I don't think he will.

Smoot.

I've never understood this argument:

They made the right move, not to pay Smoot more than Springs.

The market changes -- salaries go up as time goes on (and they go up proportionately to the salary cap rising, which is more rapid than inflation); the market for cb may vary year to year (depending who is a FA and who's in the draft).

Williams, et al., are better talent evaluators than I, and even though I thought Smoot worth what he got from NY, they apparently didn't. So be it (and I like the newfound salary cap caution). But if we didn't match the Smoot offer b/c we didn't want to exceed Springs's salary -- and some statements from coaches suggest just that -- that's just plain silly and counterproductive. (Same reasoning applies to Pierce/Washington.)

I suppose maybe it's rational if we actually secretly recognize that this principle is irrational, but we purport to follow it to try to induce future Skins FA's to stick around for less than market value b/c they have internalized the idea that it's unfair to pay them more than a teammate who is in some sense better.

Originally posted by Romberjo

Williams, et al., are better talent evaluators than I, and even though I thought Smoot worth what he got from NY, they apparently didn't. So be it (and I like the newfound salary cap caution). But if we didn't match the Smoot offer b/c we didn't want to exceed Springs's salary -- and some statements from coaches suggest just that -- that's just plain silly and counterproductive. (Same reasoning applies to Pierce/Washington.)

I suppose maybe it's rational if we actually secretly recognize that this principle is irrational, but we purport to follow it to try to induce future Skins FA's to stick around for less than market value b/c they have internalized the idea that it's unfair to pay them more than a teammate who is in some sense better.

While I understand anyone's reluctance to understand this rationale, I urge everyone to realize that following it is not only smart, but imperitive. That is the way the NFL works. If we were to pay Smoot more than Springs or Pierce more than Washington, we would be saying something that the latter (Springs, Washington) would not want to hear. Who is to say how it would hurt us directly, but I think it is safe to say that it would certainly have an impact on player's loyalty, future contract negotiations, avoided hold outs, bruised egos, etc. Whether or not it makes sense to us is irrelevant, but I personally have come to the understanding that this rationale is the status quo around the league.

As lame as it may seem to us, players take offense when other players whom they consider to be inferior are paid more money. But its not only about who is better than who. I would'nt rule out the possibility that in signing Springs we may have told him he would be the highest paid CB on the team. And if we did, I would imagine that such a practice is common around the league.

Its hard for me to argue how ignoring this rationale would have a direct impact on the team, but I do believe that for whatever reasons, it is simply how things work in today's NFL.

I would love for somebody more familiar with the process to chime in.

The only problem with not paying Smoot more than they paid Springs is that they lowballed Springs last year based on his past injuries. Basing Smoots contract on that isn't right but I think Smoot was overrated by the fans anyway so my Mulligan would be letting Coles go for almost nothing while costing us megabucks this year. At least trade sooner and get a good draft pick out of it.

Smoot! Pierce was smart but slow. We'll be lucky if any of the "big 3" cbs in this draft are as good, should we draft them. Really lucky. I would like to blame Brunell for eating up waaaay to much cap space, but now there's Coles the ingrate to blame for that. I liked Coles but I'm hoping that toe goes Bob Marley on him. Ok, not really. I'd settle for a forced amputation. Ok, not really that either.

Smoot will be a wonderful pickup for the Vikes. Heck, should they make it into the playoffs and the Skins don't, I'd root for 'em all the way.

G

And let me add about the "not paying Smoot more than Springs" thing: there's a concept being ignored here called inflation. Springs signed last year. The cap is larger this year. If we signed Portis this year, he'd have a bigger signing bonus. What's going on here is a rationale for saying "um, we've burned a lot of money on winners like Brunell, so we really can't pay you more even if we wanted to, which in fact we really do, so basically it's out of our control".

I think Snyder is one of the best owners in the league, I really do. I just think he has been getting worked negotiating contracts against professional agents (it looks like he's getting better though).

G

Archived