Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Brown spends most of the day at Redskin's Park

RWJ

Brown Spends the Day at Redskins Park

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 18, 2005; Page D02

Free agent defensive end Courtney Brown spent most of the day yesterday at Redskins Park as his visit with the Redskins ended.

Brown, a 6-foot-4, 290-pounder who has missed 33 games over the past four seasons, took a physical, which was expected to determine whether Washington would offer him a contract.

"We're [still] interested," Coach Joe Gibbs said at the team's facility, "so we'll see."

Gibbs declined to provide further details, except to say that Washington wouldn't announce a signing last night.

"The best way for me to say it is we just had a good visit," Gibbs said, "and [he] took a physical, and kind of went through a process there. We'll just work through the rest of it. I don't think there's anything imminent."

Brown -- who according to sources planned to visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks -- was to leave Washington today. He did not return a call seeking comment last night.

Brown met some Redskins players and had lunch with defensive tackle Brandon Noble, who played with Brown at Penn State in 1996. Noble, who was a fifth-year senior when Brown was a freshman, appeared at Redskins Park yesterday only to help court Brown. The defensive linemen spent about 30 minutes talking in the facility's cafeteria.

"I came by to say hi," Noble said. "I know Courtney. He's a standup guy. He'd fit in well in this locker room. He's had some bad luck with some injuries. I can appreciate that. He's had more than most people deserve. And I think a fresh start would be good. And I'd love to have him do it here.

"I told him that this is a team going in the right direction, and it's a good group of guys. It's fun to come to work. . . . I tried to sell him a little bit on it. We'll see what happens."

Brown also spoke for several minutes with defensive end Phillip Daniels when their paths crossed in the trainer's room. Daniels, who started five games last season because of a broken wrist and groin pull, expressed excitement that Washington was pursuing Brown. Although Brown has been a starter when healthy, Daniels noted that Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach-defense, heavily rotates linemen to keep them fresh. Daniels said he told Brown that the Redskins had the best defensive coaches in the NFL.

"He needed to hear those things," Daniels said. "He's trying to resurrect his career. The best place to be is here with coaches like Greg Blache [defensive coordinator-defensive line] and Gregg Williams."

Brown, the top overall pick in the 2000 draft, played all 16 games in his rookie season. However, Brown has finished every year since on the injured reserve list, and has had four operations. Last year, in Week 2 at the Dallas Cowboys, Brown tore a Lisfranc ligament in his left foot. Screws recently were removed from the foot, although he has not yet fully recovered from the injury. After the initial surgery last fall, Brown was projected to be healthy by April.

Cleveland released Brown, 27, on Monday after he declined a substantial pay cut and the Browns' medical staff reportedly informed the NFL that Brown had failed a season-ending physical. Still, Gibbs and Blache flew into Cleveland to meet with Brown and his wife, Candace, only hours after his release.

Although Cleveland has said that it would like to re-sign him, sources familiar with the situation said Brown intends to find a new team.

Brown made his first visit with the Denver Broncos on Tuesday and Wednesday. According to a source, Denver -- which has about $1 million under the cap compared with Washington's roughly $2 million -- didn't make a firm offer.

Redskins guard Randy Thomas said he understands Washington's enthusiasm for Brown, and believes that his talent is worth the risk.

"Injuries are unpredictable," Thomas said. "Some guys can start a string of being injury-prone this year. And he may not be hurt seriously for the next five years. He's still young. And it would be nice to have him on the team."

rown Spends the Day at Redskins Park

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 18, 2005; Page D02

Free agent defensive end Courtney Brown spent most of the day yesterday at Redskins Park as his visit with the Redskins ended.

Brown, a 6-foot-4, 290-pounder who has missed 33 games over the past four seasons, took a physical, which was expected to determine whether Washington would offer him a contract.

"We're [still] interested," Coach Joe Gibbs said at the team's facility, "so we'll see."

Gibbs declined to provide further details, except to say that Washington wouldn't announce a signing last night.

"The best way for me to say it is we just had a good visit," Gibbs said, "and [he] took a physical, and kind of went through a process there. We'll just work through the rest of it. I don't think there's anything imminent."

Brown -- who according to sources planned to visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks -- was to leave Washington today. He did not return a call seeking comment last night.

Brown met some Redskins players and had lunch with defensive tackle Brandon Noble, who played with Brown at Penn State in 1996. Noble, who was a fifth-year senior when Brown was a freshman, appeared at Redskins Park yesterday only to help court Brown. The defensive linemen spent about 30 minutes talking in the facility's cafeteria.

"I came by to say hi," Noble said. "I know Courtney. He's a standup guy. He'd fit in well in this locker room. He's had some bad luck with some injuries. I can appreciate that. He's had more than most people deserve. And I think a fresh start would be good. And I'd love to have him do it here.

"I told him that this is a team going in the right direction, and it's a good group of guys. It's fun to come to work. . . . I tried to sell him a little bit on it. We'll see what happens."

Brown also spoke for several minutes with defensive end Phillip Daniels when their paths crossed in the trainer's room. Daniels, who started five games last season because of a broken wrist and groin pull, expressed excitement that Washington was pursuing Brown. Although Brown has been a starter when healthy, Daniels noted that Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach-defense, heavily rotates linemen to keep them fresh. Daniels said he told Brown that the Redskins had the best defensive coaches in the NFL.

"He needed to hear those things," Daniels said. "He's trying to resurrect his career. The best place to be is here with coaches like Greg Blache [defensive coordinator-defensive line] and Gregg Williams."

Brown, the top overall pick in the 2000 draft, played all 16 games in his rookie season. However, Brown has finished every year since on the injured reserve list, and has had four operations. Last year, in Week 2 at the Dallas Cowboys, Brown tore a Lisfranc ligament in his left foot. Screws recently were removed from the foot, although he has not yet fully recovered from the injury. After the initial surgery last fall, Brown was projected to be healthy by April.

Cleveland released Brown, 27, on Monday after he declined a substantial pay cut and the Browns' medical staff reportedly informed the NFL that Brown had failed a season-ending physical. Still, Gibbs and Blache flew into Cleveland to meet with Brown and his wife, Candace, only hours after his release.

Although Cleveland has said that it would like to re-sign him, sources familiar with the situation said Brown intends to find a new team.

Brown made his first visit with the Denver Broncos on Tuesday and Wednesday. According to a source, Denver -- which has about $1 million under the cap compared with Washington's roughly $2 million -- didn't make a firm offer.

Redskins guard Randy Thomas said he understands Washington's enthusiasm for Brown, and believes that his talent is worth the risk.

"Injuries are unpredictable," Thomas said. "Some guys can start a string of being injury-prone this year. And he may not be hurt seriously for the next five years. He's still young. And it would be nice to have him on the team."

Daryl Gardener left without a contract and was still signed a little while later. Unless he's offered "stupid" money elsewhere, this is the place to be. LaVar is here. His cousin is here. We have the finest Defensive coaches in the league.

I have a feeling once he looks around, he'll realize this is the place to be and we give him the best chance to reach his potential.

I can't get a read on what's going on. Seems to me that you guys slammed on the emergency brake. Must have been something in his physical. I know he failed our physical, but that was the routine season ending physical back in January. He had surgery in September and wasn't expected to be cleared until April, so I don't know how much failing that physical meant. I'm sure General Winslow failed his. Prob doesn't mean too much.

But, it looks like you guys definitely didn't like what you saw. Gibbs went from flying into town just hours after his release to "The best way for me to say it is we just had a good visit," Gibbs said, "and [he] took a physical, and kind of went through a process there. We'll just work through the rest of it. I don't think there's anything imminent."

Are you guys cooling on Court or is it Courtney playing games?

I think the selling points that the Redskins are pushing are more about the environment than the money as it has been in the past. Clearly by Gibbs going to him immediately it must show him how much the Redskins are interested. However, Brown sounds like he is intent on checking everything out perhaps taking a very analytical approach.

Typically though the deal goes down quickly when the player feels he's in the right place. If he's not feelin' it now, my guess he's not gonna be here later.

It definitely sounds like Gibbs was not impressed with the physical. He plays his cards fairly close to the chest, but you can hear that he isn't very happy with something. Perhaps Brown told the Skins his offer from Denver and we can't match, so he's working on getting some leverage from the injury and letting the vibes play out at Redskins Park. Great to see Noble and Daniels saying good things about the team.

Seriously, listening to Gibbs quotes are kind of pointless IMO. He really never says anything of significance. He'll say things after the fact, but he never shows his hand at all beforehand. I'm not saying it isn't smart, but it is frustrating because you really never get anything out of what he says.

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

Seriously, listening to Gibbs quotes are kind of pointless IMO. He really never says anything of significance. He'll say things after the fact, but he never shows his hand at all beforehand. I'm not saying it isn't smart, but it is frustrating because you really never get anything out of what he says.

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

Is it me, or is everything with Gibbs always "kind of a process there"?

I think pointing this out makes me "super smart" :silly:

Yeah, you guys are right. Sometimes it's absolutlely like pulling teeth to understand these vague comments by Gibbs. Gibbs won't say anything after the fact as Jeff pointed out.

However, I vehemently say we DON'T SIGN THIS GUY! :mad: League minimum or otherwise, I think it is too much of a risk to sign Brown. The guy's been on injured reserve for a total of 33 games which equates to just OVER TWO SEASONS WORTH OF GAMES!

I say we save our $2M under the cap money, unless another player is released by another team that the "Skins are looking at like we did with Pierson Prioleau; also, shop Gardner somewhere to free up another $2M and then use this projected $4M to sign whatever players we get in the draft. And don't forget that we need to sign Santana Moss after June 1st. FURTHER, DON'T FORGET THAT SEAN TAYLOR WASN'T HAPPY WITH HIS CONTRACT AFTER HE SIGNED IT BECAUSE SOMEBODY ELSE LAST YEAR GOT MORE AND HE FELT CHEATED. League rules prohibit a rookie from renogotiating a contract until after a year has passed; so there's that potential drama to put up with, too!!!

And lastly, I say we look for a defensive end in the middle to lower rounds of the draft and get a corner with our #9 first rounder.

ROD

I can't believe some of you who think Gibbs is no longer interested in Brown. He flew to Cleveland with Blache to make it very clear in person how much the Skins were interested. He made sure Brandon Noble traveled from PA to Skins Park to convince Brown to sign with the Skins. You think bumping into Daniels was an accident? If Lavar wasn't on his honeymoon, he would have been there....and I'd bet good money, Lavar has already called Brown about playing for the Skins.

Good God guys.....there's "We want you bad" written all over what the Redskins did.

Of course, Brown is not going to pass a physical at this stage of rehab. The Skins can't shower Brown with lots money because of the cap tightness.....But they can convince him this is the right place to rebuild his career.

IF Gibbs did not want to sign Brown, he would have said so. He would have said he has too many concerns about Brown's health to make an offer. Instead he is playing coy like he always does. Joe Gibbs NEVER gives information away in an interview unless he wants it known.

The Skins want him bad. They probably don't want to offer a lot of money so they are offering Brown what Gibbs thinks is a perfect opportunity for Brown to make a comeback.

Denver and Tampa Bay have less money to offer than we do. Not sure about Seattle. Cleveland probably has more on the table than anyone. But does Courtney really want to return to Cleveland? I doubt it.

He may not be signed, but for those who believe Gibbs is not interested are wearing blindfolds.

After the DUI snaffoo that Taylor had I am not expecting any issues from him this season, not to mention the spitting incident.

As far as Brown goes. IF healthy he would be a solid pick up. Fred Taylor has been solid for a few years now and he has much more opportunities to get injured. Although I would really love to see Merriman in the B&G.

Gotta give the props to Noble and Daniels. Good "Gibbs type of" stuff.

What I like is that a lot of Redskin players were there in the process to try and persuade CB to come to Washington. I'm trying to think when the last time I heard something like that in the offseason prior to Gibbs becoming coach and in the past 5-10 years. I cannot think of one, other than what's happened this offseason. What that is saying to me is the players really are really liking it in Washington and are positive on the outlook of the Skins. Especially with comments like "He's trying to resurrect his career. The best place to be is here with coaches like Greg Blache [defensive coordinator-defensive line] and Gregg Williams."

The other thing I come away with is he was fine with the Physical, and we made him a modest not outrageous offer, but CB wants to gauge his value with all the teams looking at him. With Arrington, Prioleau, Noble, and Daniels all giving CB a great impression of Washington, I think they are really pushing environment and team before money for two reasons. One to see if CB values environment and team over money, which will speak a lot about character, and the other reason is we are not going to break the bank on any player, anymore. :2cents:

Archived