WP: Arrington's Learning Curve

Hauss

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47352-2002May20.html

V

Arrington's Learning Curve to Swerve Into Backfield

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 21, 2002; Page D3

Last season, linebacker LaVar Arrington became one of the Washington Redskins' leaders and one of the NFL's best defensive players, reaching the Pro Bowl in his second professional season. But he and his new coaches are convinced he can improve.

Defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis has Arrington rushing the passer more, resembling what the linebacker did at Penn State. Arrington seems delighted, and said following yesterday's practice at Redskins Park that one of his goals for next season is to win the NFL's defensive player of the year award.

"I'm going all out for it," Arrington said. "I'm not afraid to admit that. That's a personal goal of mine, and I think it's a realistic one. If I do that, then we're doing something right and that will help us get back to the playoffs. That's the first goal, to get back to the postseason."

Lewis has said he may use Arrington as a pass-rushing defensive end at times next season. Arrington had only half a sack last season, more often dropping into coverage on passes.

"It's very similar to what he did in college," said Lewis, who is Arrington's third defensive coordinator in three years with the Redskins.

Said Arrington: "It worked for me in college. We'll see what happens. I have confidence Coach Lewis is going to put me in positions to make some plays. . . . I know for a fact everyone will see a difference in my game this year."

Arrington said that, for the first time, he has an older, accomplished teammate at his position to serve as a mentor, with the Redskins having signed veteran outside linebacker Jessie Armstead as a free agent. He also speaks more frequently these days to veteran defensive end Bruce Smith, he said, and feels far more accepted than he did as a high-priced rookie two years ago.

"It's obvious I went through a scrubbing year," Arrington said. "It's so different how my interaction is with all the guys. They just didn't talk to us. I really realize that now. . . . There's a nice chemistry among the players. I haven't noticed that since I've been here. That's only been two years, but I don't notice the rookies going through what I had to go through."

The downside to the annual roster turnover is that Arrington has seen some friends depart. Linebacker Shawn Barber signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent. Defensive end Marco Coleman said late last week he would like to remain with the Redskins but is prepared to be released after June 1 for salary cap reasons.

"It feels like having a death in the family," Arrington said. "Who knows why it happens, but you have to move on. . . . [Coleman is] not only a good player and a leader on the field, but he's also a pillar in the locker room. If he gets cut, it hurts. But you always understand this is a business first. It's going to be conducted as a business. I'm sure Marco is going to do what's best for Marco, and the Redskins are going to do what's best for the Redskins."

Redskins Notes: Quarterback Patrick Ramsey and running back Ladell Betts attended a function for selected NFL rookies in Southern California over the weekend and did not attend yesterday's practice. Coach Steve Spurrier said he hopes Ramsey and Betts practice today. Four of the Redskins' 10 draft choices – safety Andre Lott, tight end Robert Royal, tackle Reggie Coleman and fullback Rock Cartwright – practiced yesterday. . . .

Spurrier said he has been impressed by fullback Bryan Johnson. "He's a very talented player," Spurrier said. "He could play tailback. He can catch, run and block. He should get the ball quite a bit more than some fullbacks have in the past."

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

Spurrier said he has been impressed by fullback Bryan Johnson. "He's a very talented player," Spurrier said. "He could play tailback. He can catch, run and block. He should get the ball quite a bit more than some fullbacks have in the past."

I'm not sure why, but I find this to be a VERY interesting quote from Spurrier. More options if the team and Davis part ways, perhaps? Maybe it'll open new corridors in Spurrier's fertile offensive mind? You think Marty/Raye ever thought this?

One of the things I love so much about Arrington is his desire to win and the pain with which each loss gives him. Remember him crying after the first Dallas game last year? I think that was the moment when he became my favorite player.

I "hear" the maturity, while we as fans and the organization also get to see it. Man what a treat!!!

Check out the writeup on Bryan Johnson.

No I don't think he's the second coming of Riggo, but my goodness, when Gibbs took over the team and checked the film of Riggins, he saw the same thing in him. He was no longer primarily splitting time and blocking, but became the featured back.

Spurrier immeiately knows exactly when to be flexible, whil Lewis does what a DC is supposed to do - give his players the best possible position to be able to make the play. Not wait for the play to come to you.

LaVar's language is even improving on how to address things with the media.

Outstanding article.

Man, I love the fact that LaVar is our boy each and every time I wake up in the morning. What a stud . . . it's so nice to see that he's been able to make the transition to the pros so quickly. Never mind the fact that he ended Aikman's career. Is Emmitt's next? How 'bout Quincy?

OK, I take that stuff back, because it's bad for team karma to joke about injuries. But damn, I'm so glad our D Co is a man who won't try to fit a round peg in whatever square peg system he advocates (Rhodes, K Schotty) and will let him play to the number he wears LT style. I could go on forever. So pumped for our D!

WRArrington2.jpg

Last year, when Lavar said he didn't totally enjoy like rushing the passer and enjoyed doing the coverage linebacker thing... I wonder if that was really true or if he was giving a spin to defend how his coaches were using him. Reports early anyway seem to say he is happy and excited about how Lewis plans to use him and what he is practicing and all we hear about in his practices is how he is blitzing and being used to attack the quaterbacks.

Originally posted by Burgold

Last year, when Lavar said he didn't totally enjoy like rushing the passer and enjoyed doing the coverage linebacker thing... I wonder if that was really true or if he was giving a spin to defend how his coaches were using him. Reports early anyway seem to say he is happy and excited about how Lewis plans to use him and what he is practicing and all we hear about in his practices is how he is blitzing and being used to attack the quaterbacks.

I think that Mr. Lewis has convinced Mr. Arrington that this type of activity will best help Mr. Arrington reach his personal (defensive player of the year) and team goals this year. In that case, I would think he be amenable to whatever Mr. Lewis asks him to do. In the best case, Mr. Arrington may be indicating complete trust in Mr. Lewis.

I may be in the minority here but I am not thrilled with the new role.

Arrington's only weakness is his (in)ability to take on blocks -- that is something you kind of have to do if you're at the DE position. I just don't know if he has the lower body strength/explosion to excell at this new role. Rushing the passer is a combination of "butt strength" (sounds funny i know), hand strength, and quickness. His Lacking of these qualities (except for quickness) is the primary reason he doesnt take on blocks well.

If you watch him play, he tends to "run around" rather than "take on" blocks. Now, put some tape on of Seau and Ray Lewis and you will see how to blow up FB or lineman. Arrington does some things better than these guys but I just don't see him excelling at his new role. I think the old regime had him playing where he'd be most effective -- 5 yards off the ball with his first step going back.

But, on the contrary I think it's worth a shot. And I hope I'm wrong. Because I view our lack of pass rush as the single biggest deficiency for this team right now. Ahead of QB and run defense.

I thought Arrington was more of a blitzer than a pass rusher at PSU.

I don't know if I see Arington in the down DE role that Harvey used to play for us.

But as a stand up DE, or better yet a free-lancing rusher from any position, especially where he can use his atheleticism to evade the blockers, he might be really good.

I know he took the LT's number, and that's where the comparisons will be drawn, but I think that Derrick Thomas is the better model for Arrington. Before the Chiefs went to that 'Falcon' defense, Thomas got all his sacks from a base OLB position.

Diggler- I think you make a good point about our lack of a pass rush last year. On 3rd and longs, almost every time I'd see a hard-fighting Bruce Smith going outside and getting pushed just a little too deep and not getting to the QB, and nobody else getting even close very often. It's arguable, but I think I agree that no pass rush was our most glaring weakness last year.

But I think Terry makes a good point about the right way to use Lavar, and I think that will help the pass rush significantly. I think Marvin Lewis will probably blitz more in general, and also if we do get Sam Adams I think that will help in the sense that other teams will more often be left with 3rd and long after being unable to run, instead of 3rd and 5 or less.

Also, although I haven't seen what Wynn can do yet, I definitely think in the next year or so we will need to be looking to draft good DEs that can really get after the QB (or get good young ones some other way). It was nice back in the Manley/Mann days.

Terry, you got that right.

Arrington is most likely to be in the stand up position, because Lewis will not let teams gain an advantage on a player's weakness, if any.

Marty had him off the line, but when the play developed, blockers were assigned in angles at LaVar from the captain of the offensive line and virtue of the play.

Consider this. Arrington though keyed on, was still making the plays and disrupting the short passing game. That's why teams kept going downfield against Shade, especially when Coleman wasn't there and the play action was more spontaneous against the defense. Coleman, though noted for his run stopping, could at least occupy the blocker enough for the LB's to be more effective. Result was the Skins finished stronger on Coleman's return and Arrington increasing his presence.

This year, Arrington will be charged with "destroying" pass plays, from his position (which can come from anywhere) and when the opponent tries a double team, the DE's and DT's should be all over their QB, FB and RB.

I'm more than happy to make Lavar a stand-up DE in the most obvious of passing situations. Go ahead and send him. But I hope the coaches don't put him there on 2nd and long, or 3rd and 5.

The one problem about making a LB of Lavar's caliber a pure stand-up DE is that you take them out of the position to make tackles on draws, screens, scrambles, and runs.

Lavar is fercious hitter with a nose for the ball, so I am a big fan of leaving Lavar in space, off-the-ball, on all other (non- 3rd & 10) downs. The threat of him blitzing, blowing up a draw, shadowing a QB, or killing a WR that ventrues over the middle is very real. And I'd like to keep that in place.

Archived