Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA, Jansen and Samuels kept their words

What a good draft that turned out to be when we got Samuels and LA.

Those are the only three guys that have kept their word and said they wanted to be here when the winning started.

You have to appreciate a guy putting his money where his mouth is. None of them have let us even have the opportunity of testing FA.

I truly hope we get back to winning so that those guys can get a much deserved reward.

Yeah, gotta love true skins...it's ultra rare in the modern game to have loyalty to a team.

LaVar seems genuine when he speaks on it, and loving what he sees..and being here for that day when it all gets turned around after enduring the tough years.

Yea, tough year last year for Jansen and Lavar but both should be healthy this year and I look forward to seeing them play. Hell, getting them two back is like drafting another two people this year or getting two good players from FA :)

Arrington and Samuels got big money contracts and Jansens' wasn't bad at the time of the deal. Yes they resigned, but they signed big money deals. Now, I am not saying that they aren't core players and didn't want to be here, I am just saying you can't compare them because they signed for market value and didn't sign a below market value contract to remain with the team.

Was LaVar being true to his word when he claimed he was going to drop his suit against the FO and then he didn't?

He's done nothing to help this team turn around, IMO. He's a selfish blockhead.

Jansen seems like a genuinely good guy though.

Jansen is purely loyal to our organization. His contract extension was not the largest when it happened, and he re-structured a little just now as well. Lavar, he did his extension right at the end of the 2003 season, and he is vocal about playing here. Samuels, ehh, took him a while to restructure, then he got a deal just as good as Walter Jones, w/o playing at his level. Oh well, Im glad we have all 3 still.

Originally posted by McMetal

Was LaVar being true to his word when he claimed he was going to drop his suit against the FO and then he didn't?

He's done nothing to help this team turn around, IMO. He's a selfish blockhead.

Jansen seems like a genuinely good guy though.

Come on, he plays his heart out on every play. He has made two pro bowls and he was the guy who turned Marty's season around. Remember that pick against Carolina. They were 0-5 at the time and down 14-0 late in the fourth. He just hasn't been Ray Lewis like YOU want him to.

Yeah, I'm not going to be comparing these guys to Mother Theresa anytime soon.

Both LA and Samuels got PAID. It's not like they were giving us a hometown discount.

And LaVar really should drop this suit against the FO already. It's an absolute joke, and legally he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

This whole loyalty is garbage. Dont you think anyone is loyal to their families and maximize their once in a lifetime opportunity to make money. This is a free market society. I am sick of everyone talking about this loyalty garbage when if they were faced with same opportunity would sell out to the highest bidder. You create loyalty and money has a lot to do with it. The people who left obviously for whatever reason did not think the Redskins Park was not the greatest work environment. Thats their prerogative... This whole holier than thou mentality is so juvenile. Lets stop trashing players that are no longer here and just move on and make the best of what we have.

I dont care and I still love Smooty: He got there and said he Loved us so I'm still a supporter.. He said he would accept 2mill less and got 13millish in the first 3 years more.... that a 11ish more than stated.

I see no clouds on the horizon... i think we will be 15/15 at the end of the year and our 1st receiver will be 11 spots above LC in Minny based on the last couple years stats...

I am not pretending to know what their intentions are. Each of these guys have said they want to retire a Skin, and not any of them have ever tasted FA.

LA has repeatedly said he would retire before playing elsewhere. I don't know if he means it, but I can appreciate it since he hasn't been untrue to his word thus far.

yeah, these guys got big money extensions but each was a starter for at least 3-4 seasons for the team and were each close to or at pro bowl level during that time :)

Neither Pierce nor Smoot has made a pro bowl or all-pro team. Pierce has only started one season in the NFL. Smoot in 2004 was still considered by many to be the team's #2 corner to Springs.

I just don't see where Pierce or Smoot has PROVEN they are worth top money.

Yes, they are worth decent dollars. Smoot has proven more than Pierce.

But there were corners out there like Rolle and Surtain that have done more in the NFL than Smoot.

the one thing I don't like to see is a team sign a guy after ONE solid season as a starter in the NFL.

so many times that turns out to be a mistake.

Archived