Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

do the math

ohioskinfan

her we go, all the gms on this board (you make the call)

2 free agents pierce and washington offered at the same price

who do you take???

this is what im getting at, we had good players to determin the price were willing to pay pierce and smoot, thier value is = to the sum, and i am not so sure we are not overpaying them compared to their counter parts.

this is a new redskins direction that im thrilled about, we talk about value-and fail to realize some things are black and white.

this has nothing to do with coles(as much as we like to think) and we cant even blame this on brunnell as much as we would like to. this is how you build a finacially sound team in the cap era = pay for worth not big names or fan favorites, and promote your players as they progress and mature.

love you smoot and pierce, wish you were here- i will have to find a new hero to root for next year and i will truely miss ya

You are on the mark ohioskinfan.

I would definitely rather have Springs than Smoot and Washington than Pierce. Gibbs won't pay Smoot/Pierce more than he already paid Springs/Washington. Clear cut and simple.

I love Smoot as much as the next guy, but when push comes to shove he is still our 2nd CB. We can't pay him more than our #1 CB.

This is totally the opposite of previous years when we paid what we were willing, market value or not. I think people are mainly upset because these are guys who came up as Redskins, and the negotiations are so public. Never the less, I think they are doing a good job of building a nucleus of guys that will be here for a little while.

exactly, unlike the niners in the 80's and early 90's we can't afford to start Montana and keep Young on the bench. The team must find a value for a player that best benefits the team as a whole. They are doing it with Pierce and with Smoot, its not always great for the fans, but that is the free market system.

Originally posted by fansince62

ohio...I agree....although one could argue that Smoot is making a statement: you aren't paying me what I'm worth.

The market will decide that. If no one else wants to offer him more, then apparently he isn't worth as much as he thinks.

Nick

i'm just curious does anyone feel Smoot is worth more then Rolle who just signed with B-more with an $11 mil. SB !!!

Rolle was the top rated CB on the FA market .

Take a good long hard look Smootie and sign the dotted line while you still can .................. :2cents:

No way Smoot is worth more than Rolle.

And Pierce is going to end up regretting going to the Giants for the money. He will be playing on a bad defense for an ass of a coach for about 1/2 a mil a year more than he would have gotten here.

Oh and, Redskins > Giants.

Originally posted by red zone

The only reason losing Pierce is getting any dialogue around the league is because it's the 'Skins. Anyone else loses a Pierce and it barely makes a ripple.

I have to disagree with this statement. Pierce had a breakthrough season last year and was one of if not the top middle linebacker out there in free agency. It is probably more that we notice every time it is talked about because it is of interest to us, or was.

Originally posted by Mr. S

i just cant wait for Lavar to come back next season, we'll have 2 stud LB's patrolling the field, with Springs and Taylor still deep to cover, it will be intense!!!

But without Pierce telling them where to be each play I wonder.

Williams put a bunch of nobodies on the field and came out ranked 2nd in the league. Skins lose two players on that same defense which will not make any differance. They were constantly plugging people in last year and never missed a beat.

Training camp, same group as last year, plus preseason will have this defense even better than last year. We will not miss Smoot or Pierce at all.

Great post ohioskinsfan. You have describe the situation perfectly.

I love Smoot and Pierce for their always giving the maximum effort on the field. I remember Smoot playing injured and still trying to make the best of it.

However he is not better than Springs, and I'll take Washington over Pierce any day.

I like this change of attitude by the Skins.

Archived