Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coles Conundrum: Eat the cap or no compensation?

TODD

If Lav is really gone, it's going to come down to this: Take the cap hit and get compensation (lets call it a high/mid-#1 pick for the sake of argument) or just release him with no compensation but get a significantly smaller cap hit.

My vote goes to the latter. We have two key free agents and another void on the offensive side of the ball to fill and we need all of the money we can get at this point to resign Pierce and maybe Smoot.

If the man wants out, he needs to give us his SB. All of it. We don't owe him a damn thing. He doesn't want to be here, he doesn't like the offense, tell him to pay up and then he can dip. If not, shut up and suit up. He'll pay, we trade, and we start winning football games. Screw you Coles, pay up and work out a trade.

How about this?

If worst comes to worst, just sit him. The cost for cutting him or cap hit for trading him will be much more prohibitive than if we let him ride the pine. It's not the ideal situation, but what leverage does he have then?

Thus, here's the scenario:

Release: no compensation and mabye some cap hit

Trade: $9M cap hit and another contract to pay for

Bench: $3.357 cap hit and still on the team.

Right now, I'm liking option number three.

A little harsh Renegage, but I agree with you. Coles needs to return the remainder of his signing bonus and get traded. That way the skins don't have a cap hit and get a draft choice in return.

Reference Lavar, where is Lavar going? He is not leaving the skins. On a side note, his rehabmedical sources at work is coming along fine and his knee is looking good according to my medical sources.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

A little harsh Renegage, but I agree with you. Coles needs to return the remainder of his signing bonus and get traded. That way the skins don't have a cap hit and get a draft choice in return.

Reference Lavar, where is Lavar going? He is not leaving the skins. On a side note, his rehabmedical sources at work is coming along fine and his knee is looking good according to my medical sources.

You want harsh? :laugh: I spent $70 (about half my paycheck) to get his jersey the other week. Wore it three times that week, took the ridicule of the skins haters, all that jazz. He's my favorite player right behind Lavar. He's a warrior, and redskin. Now he doesn't want to be here anymore. In short, I'm dissapointed. :mad:

i agree renegade , i was SO close to buying his jersey a few times since last year but never did , guess it was something telling me not too ..... i also liked him a lot if hes upset with the lack of deep plays he needs to consider that he MIGHT be part of that problem ...altho gibbs does need to open it up some more

It's a free country. If he wants out then let him go. He should flat be released. No compensation necessary. He only had 1 TD anyway. His toe is an issue he should have handled before the 2004 season. Maybe Joe G. would have gone deep a bit more. Goodbye L.C., you are still a talented WR and I wish you luck in your next endeavor.

Originally posted by SkinFaninOKC

It's a free country. If he wants out then let him go. He should flat be released. No compensation necessary. He only had 1 TD anyway. His toe is an issue he should have handled before the 2004 season. Maybe Joe G. would have gone deep a bit more. Goodbye L.C., you are still a talented WR and I wish you luck in your next endeavor.

You're right. This is a free country we live in. But this is a multi-billion dollar business Coles works for.

Originally posted by jbooma

The problem Gibbs is in is you can't let one of your best players stay unhappy, if he doesn't want to be here he can't keep him here :(

I disagree. While you're correct that Gibbs is not in an very enviable situation he is by no means required to cut or trade Coles. We are under the cap taking into consideration Coles' current salary figures and if we're not able to arrange a deal to move him that fits within the cap then he's just going to have to deal with it. Handcuffing our own ability to address other needs simply to facilitate the departure of a disgruntled player makes no sense whatsoever.

If a deal that is mutually beneficial cannot be arranged then the skins should attempt to mend the relationship so as to avoid a distraction during the season. If Coles refuses to cooperate then he'll most likely hold out, which although not ideal would not be the worst situation in the world.

Think about it, what's worse not having Coles and being over the cap? Or not having Coles and being under the cap? And who knows, perhaps Coles will have a change of heart and wish to play ball. After all, Ty Law returned to the Pats after calling Belichick a liar. And personally I think the skins FO should handle this situation exactly the same way the Pats FO did the Law fiasco.

Originally posted by galentjm

I disagree. While you're correct that Gibbs is not in an very enviable situation he is by no means required to cut or trade Coles. We are under the cap taking into consideration Coles' current salary figures and if we're not able to arrange a deal to move him that fits within the cap then he's just going to have to deal with it. Handcuffing our own ability to address other needs simply to facilitate the departure of a disgruntled player makes no sense whatsoever.

If a deal that is mutually beneficial cannot be arranged then the skins should attempt to mend the relationship so as to avoid a distraction during the season. If Coles refuses to cooperate then he'll most likely hold out, which although not ideal would not be the worst situation in the world.

Think about it, what's worse not having Coles and being over the cap? Or not having Coles and being under the cap? And who knows, perhaps Coles will have a change of heart and wish to play ball. After all, Ty Law returned to the Pats after calling Belichick a liar. And personally I think the skins FO should handle this situation exactly the same way the Pats FO did the Law fiasco.

Good point!

Archived