Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork

Dan T.

We're having a going away party at work tomorrow and as usual I've been tapped to be the chef. As we speak I've got about 25lbs of pork butt on the smoker. I'm in for a long night but seeing everyone sucking the sauce off their fingers makes it worth while. Not to mention I got out of work half a day to prepare it. :applause:

WARNING! SACRILIGE IN THE COMMITTING HERE !!! I have a Brinkman electric water smoker that does a good job on all I have cooked. I add soaked chunks of wood every hour or so, and I have never had any problems with it cooking the meat too long or drying out the meat(water pan can be used with juice/wine/water mixtures too).

I can hear the scoffing now! I know what great BBQ is, try Allen and Son's near Durham NC. I just prefer to let General Electric do my cooking while I putz around on all the other projects I have outside!

Smoke and Spice by Jamison & Jamison is a good book to own too.

Again ...my apologies to all the purists out there.!

Well, my 1st smoke on my new WSM was a great success. I did a 5lb pork shoulder and 3 racks of ribs. I used the BRITU method for the ribs and they are they best ribs I've ever had.

I only used hickory wood. I need to find some cherry and apple; those two seem to be pretty popular for pork.

Warning . . .the below pictures will cause you to drool

more . . .

Now that is some good looking stuff there....I'm just getting into the barbecuing. Got a little vertical water smoker to learn on, then I hope to get one of the big boys once I learn a little more!

This may be blasphemy to some, but I've learned how to do a great deal on a gas grill. (Yes, smoking and all) But, I can't wait to get into the "low and slow" all day part of barbecuing.

My plan is to "start" by smoking some ribs....then I might try out a pork butt....does anyone have any ideas on something that isn't too hard to screw up on that will help me in this learning process??

Oh yeah....

Smoke on the Mountain State Barbecue Championship

This is a link for the Virginia's First Official State Barbecue Competition....it is down my way in Galax, VA on July 14th and 15th. Check out the website....

The butt's I smoked last week were phenominal! All in all it made about 20 pounds of pulled. We have a Memphis BBQ right outside the base and people kept going on and on about how I'd put them out of business. My Chief even wants me to cater a summer party for him. Don't know if he can afford it. :D

I do want to tell you guy's that this was by far my best batch of BBQ. I made my own sauce using a variation of Arts Carolina recipe and it was amazing, vinegar is where it's at baby. :applause: I basted with redwine vinegar and water and I can assure you that's the ticket, moist, moist, moist. I took some of the burned ends and the garlic I had stuffed inside the butt and added it to my baked beans, wow what a treat. All in all I'm now the king chef of the 820th Red Horse Squadrons Structures shop. It's not easy being king. :notworthy

I wish I would have taken pictures like bpoch but I'll definitely get them some on here soon, some step by step pics. I think this would be the perfect thread in which to that, show us your meat! Happy smoking boys and girls.

Another great tip for corn on the cob. Get your corn with the shucks on, soak them in cold water for an hour or so then slap them baby's husks and all right over the hot coals. Rotate them a little at a time until the husks are good and brown/black all the way around. WARNING don't leave unattended when the water is gone the husks will light the hell up. What you have left is an easy to shuck ear of corn that hasn't lost all of it's flavor in a boiling pan of water. Give her a try.

Another great tip for corn on the cob. Get your corn with the shucks on, soak them in cold water for an hour or so then slap them baby's husks and all right over the hot coals. Rotate them a little at a time until the husks are good and brown/black all the way around. WARNING don't leave unattended when the water is gone the husks will light the hell up. What you have left is an easy to shuck ear of corn that hasn't lost all of it's flavor in a boiling pan of water. Give her a try.

Funny you say that....One thing I have PERFECTED and ecourage others to try is this way to grill corn.

Shuck corn completely

Melt butter and mix in garlic (and anything other spice you might like) to taste.

Brush butter onto corn and put on grill.

Grill over high heat, brushing the melted butter onto the corn and turning the corn as it grills.

Grill approx. 10 mins. It will be some of the BEST corn you have ever eaten!

• 5 weeks later...

i found the answer...

Glenn wants to feed 40 people. 40 people x 4 oz = 160 oz divided by 16 oz to a pound. Therefore, Glenn needs 10 pounds of finished product...so he would need to start with 20 pounds.

last question. I have always used kingsford, should i use lump charcoal for this project? anyone?

Archived