Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork

Dan T.

Originally posted by Art

Chewy,

Those cheap Brinkman's are garbage if you're interested in a serious cook. If you were in a hot climate and kept it out of rain you'd probably get a couple of years of fair use out of it. But, this is thin metal. It doesn't season well, so you get no improvement over time as you do with a rolled steel.

My pit will last a lifetime -- though I will be trading it in for a bigger model soon. In fact, THIS ONE HERE:)

I do love the Predator. This one here is a different one I hadn't seen before :).

Anyway, mine is quarter-inch rolled steel. You have to season it and the more you cook the better things taste JUST from sticking meat in. I would NOT recommend the Brinkman for anyone who wants a true pit. Use the Weber Smokey Mountain, and when you're ready, upgrade to the big stuff :)

Agreed. Brinkman's are for noobies, and are pretty worthless if your gong to cook for more than 5 to 7 people.

On a side note, I am now going to the store this afternoon to get some ribs, briskett, and maybe 6 chickens or so. And yeah, they will all be cooking at the same time.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Sigh. Now I'm getting hungry. ;)

I agree. Think will call my buddy and see what kind of fresh

seafood he has. Some grilled Tuna, Salmon, or Swordfish would

be good tonight. Always grill some shrimp and have some steamed clams. What the he11...if he has it, will do a little of

each and have a buffet!

Originally posted by riggins44

Art, what is the name of your BBQ sauce book?

I have a couple, and I haven't looked yet. I'll track them down at some point today and put up the names. One is a true smoking book -- Smoke and Spice -- with LOTS of interesting sauces. The other is by that guy who does master's work on the Weber Kettle, Steve Raischin (spelling is WAY wrong).

I'll get that up for you today I hope.

Man, you guys are about to make me go buy a new grill

(my old one is shot after ten and a half years.)

One nice thing about living here in NC is the BBQ.

Art is correct that different regions do it differently, though it's all pretty good.

Lexington style is wetter, mushier. Popular around here but not my favorite.

Eastern style is a truer BBQ. Straight pulled pork. LOT'S of places to get it done very well in this area.

The best I've had is in the little town of Blowing Rock, NC. Place called "Woodlands."

I went to school about 8 miles away and would hit it regularly. I can make myself sick in there.

I actually ate some BBQ for dinner last night, but after reading this thread

damned if I don't have a hankering for some more!

Quick update. My flannel shirt smells like pure hickory smoke. The butt's been on for 3 hours, and it's starting to get that "look". I got a fairly steady heat with the coals, adding a handful every 30 minutes or so, along with more hickory chips.

Guests due around 3:30.

Got the slaw in the fridge, and two types of sauce ready in squeeze bottles:

"Fellas" - a homemade sauce from a friend of Extremeskiner JKAM who is a caterer up in Martha's Vineyard.

and

"TJ's" Kansas City Style Sauce, which supposedly wins Trader Joe's blind taste test every year.

Webers ROCK.

Originally posted by stevenaa

Art,

So aside from the WSM, what else will I need to get started? I've always wanted to learn how to smoke, so why not now. I'd like to do pork, brisket and chicken.

Steve,

Buy the WSM. The Big Green Egg is probably BETTER, as it's ceramic and keeps incredible even temps, but, for $800 or so, you are into a pretty nice Texas pit range. The WSM to me kills all other uprights and most cheap pits.

Once you get that, you go to www.virtualweberbullet.com and learn all you can. They have message boards to ask questions. They have GREAT recipes you can copy and you won't believe the product. They have firing methods that are made for Kingsford and the Weber Smokey Mountain that are sure fire.

The biggest problem new smokers have is they oversmoke stuff. At the Virtual Weber Bullet they actually have the RIGHT amount of wood for the cook to taste great. I actually up it from what they have, but NOT too much.

You also need to understand what your woods are good for. You can hickory smoke chicken, but, if you put the same amount of hickory in as you would cherry or apple wood, it'll taste awful. Mesquite is ULTRA potent. That site teaches you the basics of wood and how it marries with certain meats.

The biggest mistake I made early on was I was temperature crazed. I had thermometers all over the place. All you really need is the temperature at the top of the WSM and the lower grate (stick a normal candy therm through a potato to get this) and you're good.

And, I can't stress enough, the importance of this lovely beast.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_white_hiacc.html

This pen only tells you the temp to 199.99 degrees, but it's accurate as hell, and tells it to you in a couple of seconds. You use this for quick pokes when you baste/mob and rotate and that's all you need for the meat. It's the greatest thermometer I've ever found for cooking.

I spent like $1,000 on various thermometers too. I had all the polder stuff, wireless transmitters, warning buzzers. All cr@p :). Know your top temp and have this pen and you'll never go wrong.

Virtual Weber Bullet has good links to cooking resources and various things. It's even got a sweet modification page so you can fancy up your WSM if you are good at using tools. By the time you don't need the Virtual Weber Bullet page, you will be ready for something bigger :).

May that time NEVER come for you, as it's HARD damn work :).

You will also find you will never cook things the same way again. If you have meat loaf, you'll do it in the WSM for a couple of hours and be amazed. You'll stick a couple of beer butt chickens on there and be ready to eat in two hours. Ribs take a little longer, but come out great. You'll be using this for things just to add smoke taste :).

It's a beautiful thing :).

Oh, and Steve.

You'll KNOW you're in trouble when you are looking for suppliers of lump coal, and you upgrade to all natural brickettes :).

It is now fairly routine for me to smoke up $50 worth of food at the cost of $100 worth of coal :).

Kingsford is ALL you ever want or need for the WSM though. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Originally posted by Dan T.

Quick update. My flannel shirt smells like pure hickory smoke. The butt's been on for 3 hours, and it's starting to get that "look". I got a fairly steady heat with the coals, adding a handful every 30 minutes or so, along with more hickory chips.

Guests due around 3:30.

Got the slaw in the fridge, and two types of sauce ready in squeeze bottles:

"Fellas" - a homemade sauce from a friend of Extremeskiner JKAM who is a caterer up in Martha's Vineyard.

and

"TJ's" Kansas City Style Sauce, which supposedly wins Trader Joe's blind taste test every year.

Webers ROCK.

Dan,

Keep it up.

Go as LONG as you can on the smoker before transferring to the oven. That kettle is a versatile creature. You are now along the path of destruction :).

My wife HATES my smoker because it's 1,000 pounds and massive and RIGHT in front of the back door :). I'm going to need a bigger back yard for the next one :).

Originally posted by Art

Oh, and Steve.

You'll KNOW you're in trouble when you are looking for suppliers of lump coal, and you upgrade to all natural brickettes :).

It is now fairly routine for me to smoke up $50 worth of food at the cost of $100 worth of coal :).

Kingsford is ALL you ever want or need for the WSM though. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Or you drive apple to various farms asking for full logs of applewood :D

Thanks Art. The website is great.

I see we share a similar disfunction. Anything worth doing, is worth doing expensively. That is why I hesitate to start new hobbies. However, I loves me some smoked food, so I think I'll be starting with the Weber. The instructions at the site will help to shorten the learning curve considerably, before I make the plunge to a pit.

I've got a question,

I'm currently in the market for a grill with smoker option. I'd like to keep it around $700 bucks.

Any of you have experience with this Weber grill or something similar. . .

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_gc.aspx

It's the Weber Genesis Gold C, and they sell a smoker add-in basket.

Keep in mind I won't be cooking for more than myself and wife on most occasions, other than the summer time party’s w/friends. I do love to cook, so I'm sure it will be used 2-3 times a week.

I'm pretty much looking for a good enough grill with a smoker option that I won't have to buy one every 3 or 4 years because it gets old.

I imagine I'll end up with a smoker at some point down the road.

There is some great info in this tread, you guys rock!!!

Originally posted by stevenaa

Thanks Art. The website is great.

I see we share a similar disfunction. Anything worth doing, is worth doing expensively. That is why I hesitate to start new hobbies. However, I loves me some smoked food, so I think I'll be starting with the Weber. The instructions at the site will help to shorten the learning curve considerably, before I make the plunge to a pit.

You are in Texas so the pit is easy for you. Klose is probably rated the best. I happen to really like Gator Pits. But, in either case, if you upgrade to the pit you can probably do so easier than I can. I had to go with a good, but not great pit, called Lyfe Tyme because it was local and I didn't want to spend $1,000 on shipping :).

The NEXT pit WILL be shipped.

Originally posted by bpoch

I've got a question,

I'm currently in the market for a grill with smoker option. I'd like to keep it around $700 bucks.

Any of you have experience with this Weber grill or something similar. . .

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_gc.aspx

It's the Weber Genesis Gold C, and they sell a smoker add-in basket.

Keep in mind I won't be cooking for more than myself and wife on most occasions, other than the summer time party’s w/friends. I do love to cook, so I'm sure it will be used 2-3 times a week.

I'm pretty much looking for a good enough grill with a smoker option that I won't have to buy one every 3 or 4 years because it gets old.

I imagine I'll end up with a smoker at some point down the road.

There is some great info in this tread, you guys rock!!!

Bpoch,

You are talking to people in this thread with a SERIOUS bias toward charcoal and wood. You might be beaten with wet reeds for even DARING to mention a gas grill in THIS thread :). I am a purest. I HATE gas grills.

Weber gas grills are NOT good. There are only two flavor bars in most models. Flavor bars are placed deep in to let grease drip and create a charcoal taste. A GOOD gas grill will have half a dozen flavor bars and almost match coal for taste.

Gas is easier, there's no doubt, but I think you'd be better served buying a Weber Kettle with propane starter. Add a chimney starter and you don't need any fluid, just 20 minutes and a grocery bag. It's THAT easy.

I have never tried smoking with gas. I know they sell smoking add ons, but, I really think you'd be running a terrible risk doing this. With coal, you just add more. With gas, if you run out in a long cook, you're ruined.

If I were you, I'd spend my $700 on a Weber Kettle with a couple of add ons and the Weber Smokey Mountain and really make food people will want to have again :). But, I'm a gas bigot, so, you'd have to ask a gas guy.

Well, there's not a shread of the pork left. People inhaled the stuff. The meat fell off the bone so easy, the bone was so superclean, I felt guilty giving it to my dog. The meat was moist, totally infused with hickory flavor, finger-licking good. The "Felllas" sauce from Martha's Vineyard was the best to finish off the sandwiches.

MMMMM, good.

I may have to smoke butts more often.

Thanks Pez, Art, and others for all the good advice.

Riggins,

One book is Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces. Forgot I had that one. It's got a couple of NC recipes.

A Lexington sauce (I like the ketchup and brown sugar mix better):

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

The Eastern style is:

2 cups cider vinegar

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

2 tablespoons sea salt

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon cayenne

These are the BASICS for any good North Carolina sauce.

I like the Eastern recipe with SOME ketchup.

The other book I have is Barbecue Sauces, Rubs and Marinades by Steven Raichlen. His Grilling book for the Weber Kettle is top notch and also includes a LOT of stuff.

Originally posted by Dan T.

Well, there's not a shread of the pork left. People inhaled the stuff. The meat fell off the bone so easy, the bone was so superclean, I felt guilty giving it to my dog. The meat was moist, totally infused with hickory flavor, finger-licking good. The "Felllas" sauce from Martha's Vineyard was the best to finish off the sandwiches.

MMMMM, good.

I may have to smoke butts more often.

Thanks Pez, Art, and others for all the good advice.

Glad it went well for you Dan.

Now, Kurp will yell at you for giving a cooked bone to your dog. But other than that, it was a successful day :).

Archived