Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork

Dan T.

Okay, I got a nine and a quarter pound Pork Shoulder, and I'm going to try to smoke the hell out of it to make pulled pork for a birthday party.

I got a Weber Charcoal Grill with a rotisserie insert. Hickory chips. I got the rub on the meat now.

Here's one question. Do I rotisserie this hunk of meat? With the big old joint in the middle it might be tough to skewer it right. But if I can, I think I'd get better results.

Advice? Any other hints? Art, I recall you've got some experience in this. . .

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Dan T.

Okay, I got a nine and a quarter pound Pork Shoulder, and I'm going to try to smoke the hell out of it to make pulled pork for a birthday party.

I got a Weber Charcoal Grill with a rotisserie insert. Hickory chips. I got the rub on the meat now.

Here's one question. Do I rotisserie this hunk of meat? With the big old joint in the middle it might be tough to skewer it right. But if I can, I think I'd get better results.

Advice? Any other hints? Art, I recall you've got some experience in this. . .

Thanks guys.

NO!! if you are planning on smoking that sucker for a while, do not put it on a rotisserie, or you will have a nice mess at the bottom of your grill, because once the meat starts becoming tender, it will not take the strain of a skewer, and will fall apart all over your grill. I would put it on a grate above a drip pan...

BTW: call it what it is...... a pork butt!!

Originally posted by Dan T.

Okay, no rotisserie, thanks Pez. I've smoke lots of Ribs before, but never a butt.

What about sauce? Only after pulling?

what you want to do is (I assume you are doing pulled pork) after you are done smoking. take out the butt, remove excess fat/etc and kinda break it into chunks (it will pretty much do that on its own if smoked properly) take the chunks, and take 2 forks and just start shredding the meat. when you are done, I would suggest that you offer the sauces as a side, but if you want to, add a small amount of your sauce after shredding.

I am partial to South Carolina style sauce (the mustardy kind), but I like the pepper/vinegar of the North Carolina style as well.

what size butt did you get, and are you using a wet rub or a dry rub?

While a Webber will do the job, if your in to smoking meat, you would be better off with something like this:

61635.jpg

or even this:

624-778-00.jpg

The key to smoking meat, and doing it right, is to slowly smoke it at around 200 degrees. A Butt of that size I would do for around 13 hours.

Also a tip for smoking is no Never Ever put anything other than a dry rub on your meat while smoking. In the future if you want a very good rub, check out U.S. Foods Tri Tip rub. It's a very good, and a hidden secret of some of the best BarBQue places in Texas.

I lived in Texas for 8 years, and worked at a BarBQue place for three of those years for a second job.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

The key to smoking meat, and doing it right, is to slowly smoke it at around 200 degrees. A Butt of that size I would do for around 13 hours.

Also a tip for smoking is no Never Ever put anything other than a dry rub on your meat while smoking. In the future if you want a very good rub, check out U.S. Foods Tri Tip rub. It's a very good, and a hidden secret of some of the best BarBQue places in Texas.

I lived in Texas for 8 years, and worked at a BarBQue place for three of those years for a second job.

CHUBAKAH, I have done a wet rub before (for a south carolina style pulled pork) and it came out perfect... not all wet rubs will "seal" your meat

Originally posted by pez

nah, some of the stores carry... what is it.... bessinger's ?

Yes it is called Bessingers, but it was removed from all grocery stores (including those in SC). Some places might carry a similar thing but I can not guarantee its quality.

That is why I get it when I go home or Mom and Dad bring it up.

Originally posted by halter91

Do you know how bad that sounded?

I like the NC style sauce. My uncles makes some stuff with French Dressing...it's out of this world.

Chewey...how much are one of them smokers?

LOL I didn't even pay attention to that... the smoker will range based upon size, brands, etc.... what are you looking for?

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE, STOP!!!!!!

Leave this thread to the EXPERTS baby. That would be me. I'm glad I just got back from the doctor's with the wife to help you out here Dan.

My hobby, aside from the Redskins and Extremeskins, is true smoked barbeque. My pulled pork is SOOOOOO good, I've been paid $1,000 to make 50 pounds of it for a party after a guy had some :).

Let me digest this thread and reply as I go :).

Good stuff guys, thanks. Pez, I got a 9 1/2 pounder. I mixed up a dry rub adapted from a recipe from this guy, dang, I can't remember his name, but he's won all kinds of barbecue prizes.

I got two kinds of sauces for folks to squirt on after they build their sammiches. Cole slaw will be optional.

I'll only have about 6 hours cook time, so I may have to cheat. A couple recipes talked about finishing off in the oven, sealed in foil.

Archived