Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot to the Ravens?

Chrisbob74

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=33

CB Gary Baxter, who will become a free agent, apparently has turned down a $10 million signing bonus to re-join the Ravens. It seems likely he will hit the free agent market even though the Ravens have zeroed in on him as a priority. The Ravens would like to move Baxter to safety because they believe he is too mechanical and rigid to play cornerback. With Baxter at safety, the Ravens have an eye on Washington's Fred Smoot as a possible starter to replace Baxter at cornerback. . . .

----------------------------------------------------

Looks like a lot of guys are thinking they are worth more than their teams would like to pay. Baxters a solid player but $10M??

Baxter was offered $10 mil sb by the Crows and turned it down ,

Smoot was offered $10 mil sb by the Redskins and turned it down ,didn't he ?

i don't see either of these players deserving of this kind of money . i could care less about baxter and the crows but, Fred !!! whatever happened to playing for the love of the game . this is not a true REDSKIN , :mad: BYE,BYE !!:cuss:

Originally posted by mark327

whatever happened to playing for the love of the game . this is not a true REDSKIN , :mad: BYE,BYE !!:cuss:

I feel like that, too. The thing I realized, though, especially after watching lavar, is that some guys do play for the love of the game, but when you're put in that position, where you also can get paid to do what you love, why not try to maximize your value now, becasue your value will not always be there. Get as much bank while you can.

Here's an analogy. I work in radio, so this is what I know. People who work in radio do it becasue they love it, most of us make almost no money. When you are a radio talent coming out of college, you sign a contract with a station , its usually for about 13-17k/year, no matter what you did in college. That's the average "rookie" salary. After your 2 or 3 year "rookie contract", hopefully you've got some good ratings(stats) under your belt, because then you can negotiate for a better contract. You've got the opportunity to get paid more to do what you love, you're not going to turn around and say, "well, that's nice, but I do this because I love it. Just photocopy that one I signed 3 years ago and I'll sign it again." You'd be an idiot to not upgrade your contract. But, let's say before you sign that new contract your agent calls and says, "Wait, don't re-sign with those guys yet, I might be able to get you a bigger bonus with Q101." You think to yourself that Q101 must really like what it is you do. And its not like you can't go do what it is you love at Q101 instead of Rock104.

How much loyalty do you have to the guys that gave you a shot coming out of college? To a Fred Smoot, probably not too much, because there were plenty of other teams that would have given him the same shot. And not given him 46 different coaches.

Fred Smoot has no great allegiance to the Redskins organization, he isn't a die-hard. We're just another radio station where he can go to do his show. We traded his friend away, and didn't offer up what another team is willing to.

I love Fred Smoot, please stay Fred. <---In a purely football sense.

Originally posted by kingdaddy

Little kids play for the love of the game, not pro's. The way the NFL is set up, when you get a chance for a big payday, you better take advantage of it. I gotta believe Smoot will go to the highest bidder.

What $10mil , isn't a big payday? plus the couple mil he'll get paid per yr. of a multi-year contract he'll sign . any player that can't live happily off of that to play a game is greedy .

hey , i believe get all you can get . but at some point it's gonna back-fire on the league itself IMO Where's Hockey at this year

:2cents:

Originally posted by skinsfan83

10mil might be big to the average joe but these players spend money like it's nothing.

true.

Also, for a lot of players it will be pretty much the only money they'll be making. Quite a few football players didn't really do much in college and other than football don't possess any skills.

Even if you love playing for a team it's pretty hard to turn down millions more playing for another team.

Uh, Baxter isn't worth 10 million. And the team wants to move him to Safety because he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH at Cornerback.

And he turns it down. LOL

As for all the talk about "make the money while you can" that's fine. But more than one FA has found out he should have resigned with his old team because he got a lot less on the market than he thought he was worth.

Again, Gary BAXTER?!

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

]As for all the talk about "make the money while you can" that's fine. But more than one FA has found out he should have resigned with his old team because he got a lot less on the market than he thought he was worth.

Same will happen with Fredrick Smoot. Bank it.

Let's assume Smoot is flat busted right now and he pissed away all the money he had on his "horrbly low contract" the past few seasons.

Just on rough math....If Smooty got a signing bonus of $10 Mil.....he puts $5 Million in the bank and spent the other $5Mil on taxes, agent, a house...some cars...me....etc

Then over the next 6 years he puts 1/2 of his $2Million salary into the bank....this gives him "throw around money" of about $300-400K each year after taxes.

Now, he retires at age 31....and the money he has been putting in the bank.....(not into the stock market - which would be much better)...has been getting a paultry 7% interest. Smooty is sitting pretty good.

He's got $16.6 Million in the bank.

He leaves that $16.6 in the bank and draws $750K per year from the interest to live on for the next 50 years. Smooty will still have over $10 mil to leave to his heirs.....

...plus he gets the NFL pension....endorsements....and anything else.

Don't give me the whole....he'll only play for a few years - and that is all the money he'll ever make.....woe is him.

Do I send bitter and jealous?....you bet your ass.

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

Let's assume Smoot is flat busted right now and he pissed away all the money he had on his "horrbly low contract" the past few seasons.

Just on rough math....If Smooty got a signing bonus of $10 Mil.....he puts $5 Million in the bank and spent the other $5Mil on taxes, agent, a house...some cars...me....etc

Then over the next 6 years he puts 1/2 of his $2Million salary into the bank....this gives him "throw around money" of about $300-400K each year after taxes.

Now, he retires at age 31....and the money he has been putting in the bank.....(not into the stock market - which would be much better)...has been getting a paultry 7% interest. Smooty is sitting pretty good.

He's got $16.6 Million in the bank.

He leaves that $16.6 in the bank and draws $750K per year from the interest to live on for the next 50 years. Smooty will still have over $10 mil to leave to his heirs.....

...plus he gets the NFL pension....endorsements....and anything else.

Don't give me the whole....he'll only play for a few years - and that is all the money he'll ever make.....woe is him.

Do I send bitter and jealous?....you bet your ass.

:thumbsup: GV :cheers:

Originally posted by H@iL2Gibb$

The Ravens should be more concerned about upgrading their WR corps rather than their defense. :2cents:

You got that right, of course to get Randy Moss (as they seem to be interested in) they will have to part with at least one defensive starter. But you're right...the WR corps is not making many people nervous.

Archived