Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot to the Ravens?

Chrisbob74

Originally posted by panel

why should a player not try to get the maximum amount of money for doing what he will do?

why should a guy accept 10 mill, when someone esle wants to give him 11?

Dunno, why don't you ask Bruschi who took 2 million a year to play for the Pats. It's greed pure and simple, I'm sick of players saying it's all about the team not wanting to pay them what they are worth, if these guys want to get paid fine, come out and say that, but don't give us this crap about it's all on the team or it's about putting food on the table, cause there are people putting food on the table for a hell of alot less than 10 milliion.

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

Now, he retires at age 31....and the money he has been putting in the bank.....(not into the stock market - which would be much better)...has been getting a paultry 7% interest. Smooty is sitting pretty good.

Can I have the phone number of your bank?

Better yet, can I have the phone number of your stock broker?

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Can I have the phone number of your bank?

Better yet, can I have the phone number of your stock broker?

Ok...Ok...I'm not a banker - you caught me. I was making a point. My crummy CDs pull in about 3% but they are only for a couple grand. Not 11 Million.

Now....you cannot tell me if someone comes to a financial planner or broker and says here is a check for $5 Mil - and I'll add another $6 Mil to it over the next six years he is gonna get only 3%.

I stand by my example.....you diversify that portfoli0 w/ some mixed asset and mixed risk mutual funds, some varied approach stocks, real estate investment......if Smooty don't get 7% - He should pay Sean Taylor to go visit his "money Man".

My bank # is: 1-800-231-3373

I don't have a stock broker but if I needed one - I'd probably go w/ the Postons.

Ahhh yes the Postons the guys who tried to get Lavar to fight the Skins over his contract. The ones who gave a contract figure to the Rams for Orlando Pace, which their G.M. called a "ransom note"...Not to mention Troy Aikman said, "I don't think the Postons always have the best interests of their clients in mind."

Originally posted by pr11fan

Dunno, why don't you ask Bruschi who took 2 million a year to play for the Pats. It's greed pure and simple, I'm sick of players saying it's all about the team not wanting to pay them what they are worth, if these guys want to get paid fine, come out and say that, but don't give us this crap about it's all on the team or it's about putting food on the table, cause there are people putting food on the table for a hell of alot less than 10 milliion.

Main man I understand your point from a fan point of view but the bottom line is that this is about business 1st and the team 2nd. Players in pro sports won't really say it but the obect of the game is to get as much as you can while you can because once you reach a certain age, teams are gonna hold it against you. This in all likely hood will be the last time Smoot can command 10 mill or more. So he's probably asking for more knowing he'll get less but this is the business. The Skins haven't made things any easier over paying for players. We over pay players to come here all the time and our own players see it. So rightfully or wrongly they want a piece of the pie too.

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

Ok...Ok...I'm not a banker - you caught me. I was making a point. My crummy CDs pull in about 3% but they are only for a couple grand. Not 11 Million.

Now....you cannot tell me if someone comes to a financial planner or broker and says here is a check for $5 Mil - and I'll add another $6 Mil to it over the next six years he is gonna get only 3%.

I stand by my example.....you diversify that portfoli0 w/ some mixed asset and mixed risk mutual funds, some varied approach stocks, real estate investment......if Smooty don't get 7% - He should pay Sean Taylor to go visit his "money Man".

I'm not going to nitpick your numbers. I get your basic point.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

I'm not going to nitpick your numbers. I get your basic point.

Thank you.....you truly are Mr. Happy. After the day I had today....you've made me happy. I've thought after dealing w/ all my employees today I had been speaking Swahili.

Main man I understand your point from a fan point of view but the bottom line is that this is about business 1st and the team 2nd. Players in pro sports won't really say it but the object of the game is to get as much as you can while you can because once you reach a certain age, teams are gonna hold it against you. This in all likely hood will be the last time Smoot can command 10 mill or more. So he's probably asking for more knowing he'll get less but this is the business. The Skins haven't made things any easier over paying for players. We over pay players to come here all the time and our own players see it. So rightfully or wrongly they want a piece of the pie too.

Whenever I construct an argument or a point to post here, I always do my best to look at the topic/issues from an impartial or objective standpoint as much as possible. If one looks at these issues from a fan standpoint then one wil continue to be disappointed.

So, DCMONEY, you are absolutely correct with your points. This is a business 1st and the team is 2nd. When a player comes into the NFL from the draft or is undrafted he'll get what he can at that point in time. However, when that contract comes close to its expiration or does expire then the player should be coming into his prime or in his prime [after, let's say 4 years], then this 2nd contract is when he MUST get what he can get after showing off his skills on the gridiron since being selected by his team; otherwise as he gets older he can't command a higher salary because as DCMONEY said, "teams hold it against you."

The next thing is that we [the Washington Redskins] have really made things worse, as DCMONEY, points out by overpaying players. So do you really expect players on the team to sit back and not get what they can get when the opportunity presents itself???!! I perosnally miss the old days of no salary cap and "Plan B" which the Skins rocked so well, but our team has always had generous owners since the old Gibbs days and that old model had to be eliminated to make all NFL teams on an even playing field. The point is we have this new salary cap model and I don't think we utilize it very well.

Additionally, it is my belief, and I love the Skins' to death as a fan for 22 years, that over the years we have systematically increased the pay of certain positions in the NFL because we have overpaid players and other teams have had to compensate by upping the ante by offering more money as well. I think what we need to do is take a page out of New England's book and other teams that manage the cap very, very well and with younger players and emulate that process. In this salary cap era I am not so sure that we can keep a Darell Green type player for 10+ years anymore unless that player thinks of himself as a real core Redskin and may take a salary cut to remain with the team. VERY FEW PEOPLE WILL THINK THIS WAY!

Anyway, we're about to see how all this pans out in the coming weeks and months before the 2005 draft.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

Main man I understand your point from a fan point of view but the bottom line is that this is about business 1st and the team 2nd. Players in pro sports won't really say it but the obect of the game is to get as much as you can while you can because once you reach a certain age, teams are gonna hold it against you. This in all likely hood will be the last time Smoot can command 10 mill or more. So he's probably asking for more knowing he'll get less but this is the business. The Skins haven't made things any easier over paying for players. We over pay players to come here all the time and our own players see it. So rightfully or wrongly they want a piece of the pie too.

I certainly can understand that is how some players probably even most view it, however, my problem is more with this woe is me, I can't feed my kids attitude that you get from some players when they turn down an 8 digit signing bonus that could last any rational person 2 lifetimes. I have more respect for somebody like Milloy who is man enough to come out and say it's about getting his while he can than I do for Smoot right now and the tired old act of I want to be here, but it's all about if the team still wants me here. I hope this makes my point clear.

Originally posted by mark327

Baxter was offered $10 mil sb by the Crows and turned it down ,

Smoot was offered $10 mil sb by the Redskins and turned it down ,didn't he ?

i don't see either of these players deserving of this kind of money . i could care less about baxter and the crows but, Fred !!! whatever happened to playing for the love of the game . this is not a true REDSKIN , :mad: BYE,BYE !!:cuss:

Agreed on both counts.

Since when do #2 CBs starts getting paid money like that?

Archived