Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Andy Reid... Brian Westbrook added to Pro Bowl roster.

jakehunter

by Andy Schwartz

ComcastSportsNet.com

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=3703

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Make it an even 10.

Upon arriving in Jacksonville Sunday for the official start of Super Bowl week, the Eagles received some good news. Running back Brian Westbrook became the 10th Eagle to be named to the 2005 Pro Bowl, tying the franchise’s single-season record.

Westbrook replaces the Seahawks’ Shaun Alexander, who was named to the NFC squad along with Giants running back Tiki Barber and Packers back Ahman Green. Clinton Portis was the first alternate but has also dropped out.

Alexander, Barber, and Portis each rushed for over 1,300 yards this season, and Green had 1,163. Though Westbrook rushed for only 812 yards, he also racked up 703 receiving yards, easily the most of the four, and more than Barber and Alexander combined. Though he finished fourth in the conference in total yards from scrimmage, Westbrook also led the foursome by gaining 6.1 yards per touch.

“My reaction initially was that I understood why people wouldn’t vote me on because of my rushing yards, and being a running back, it’s tough to get voted on if you don’t have a lot of rushing yards,” Westbrook said. “But now I’m happy. I think I did a lot of good things to get to this point. I think catching the ball out of the backfield is very important. Making plays is very important, and some people looked at that. I have the opportunity to go, so I’m very happy.”

Westbrook had only 177 rushing attempts and 250 touches, by far the fewest of the four. However, Westbrook is the only one who's season has yet to end.

“It’s frustrating when you’re not getting the touches and carries that other running backs are,” he said. “But as a team player, you are winning games, and you can’t argue with the philosophy that allows you to win 13, 14 games every season and gets you to the Super Bowl. You can’t argue with that philosophy.”

This will be the first trip to the Pro Bowl for Westbrook, a three-year veteran. He admitted it was difficult to accept his role immediately, but winning a combined 37 games in the last three seasons helped.

“It’s something that develops,” Westbrook said. “You always want to win games. That’s your No. 1 focus, no matter how you do it. You want to win games if you’re rushing only three times a game, you want to win games. That’s just part of being a team player.”

On this team, with quarterback Donovan McNabb and receiver Terrell Owens sharing the spotlight, that’s no simple task. Westbrook not only deserves credit for his accomplishments on the field but also for his attitude off of it.

“I think sometimes little guys get overlooked – I don’t mean that by his size,” McNabb said. “People fail to realize we kind of go deeper than that. With the success that I’ve had, with the success that T.O.’s had – is a tribute to Brian. Brian’s played a major part in this. With him running the ball and catching the ball out of the backfield, it opens up a lot opportunities for other guys. People began to realize that later in the season when T.O. went down. They should have been talking about him earlier.”

McNabb is happy they finally are.

“I’m truly excited. It’s well deserved. He should have been a guy that’s selected from the very beginning,” McNabb said. “I told him I was going to fly him out so he can get a chance to get the feeling of what it’s like to be in Hawaii at the Pro Bowl. Now I don’t have to fly him out. I can save my money. I’m excited to see that finally he gets rewarded the things he’s been able to do.”

The Pro Bowl takes place Feb. 13 in Honolulu.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

You are all proud Portis dropped out? Interesting.

How did you come to that conclusion? I think it's merely being pointed out by some that Portis was, in fact, the first alternate to the pro bowl over Westbrook.

Originally posted by soljaofjesus

I sure hope CP and Washington declined adn told teh press.. "We had the 3rd best defense and a great RB this year and you are telling me we only had 1 player to play? and the eagles got 10 players to play? .. The ProBwol is just a popularity contest and the eagels players just pay their way to the ProBowl

I was referring to this statement.

Archived