Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot21 needs your help!

Absolutely not. The most elusive move Stephen Davis has in his repertoire is the cutback. Davis can't cut on a dime or change direction at top speed. However, for a man his size, he has quick acceleration out of his cuts... but he doesn't make them very often. Davis is a pure North-South runner.

40 to go....

Ya SMooty I wouldn't call him elusive either. When I think of an elusive back I think of someone that can leave someone holding their jock like Sanders could. Davis is speedy for his size, but he doesn't leave people standing in their tracks grabbing for air with regularity. He bowls people over, he doesn't fake em out.

:cuss: Inmate! Had to go and do that didn't ya? See what happens when you sneak out every now and then? :D That is tough to argue there and it is an attempt to assist the lad. With that said, sorry smoot. Just don't see the guy as being percieved ,(how's that? :) ), as elusive. Besides, with a nickname like "Big Country", would you want to be? Oh he is fast, for a big guy,, with quick acceleration and fairly quick cut-back move, but not elusive. Elusive running back brings to mind Barry Sanders,(obviously), Joe Washington, Eric Metcalf at his best, and so forth. :) (I actually almost dated myself by suggesting Mercury Morris, Chuck "spin move" Foreman, ect.. )

There is a standard 3 part test for determining "elusiveness." When opposing teams' fans are watching this RB shred their defenses, do they shout out any one of the following statements?

1. "WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE BREAK THAT LITTLE MOTHER F*CKER'S LEGS OFF?!?!?!?!?"

2. "JUST WAIT UNTIL [insert star defender's name] GETS A GOOD LICK ON THAT LITTLE MOTHER F*CKER CUZ HE WON'T BE GETTING BACK UP AFTER IT!!!"

3. "GOD D@MNIT! GIMME MY PADS AND HELMET AND I'LL KNOCK THE LIVING SH!T OUT OF THAT LITTLE MOTHER F*CKER MYSELF!!!"

When you are dealing with a power runner, the reaction is completely different. More humiliation of having their defenders run over than faked out of their jocks. And thankfulness that they weren't the ones out there getting dragged down the field. Not the rampant anger and resentment bred by the "elusive" RB.

Elusive=Annoying. Elusive=Donovan McNabb, Randall Cunningham, Barry Sanders, Michael Vick, etc.

Elusive players are the ones you just want to smack, because they're so damn annoying. You think you have them, and then BAM! They're gone. That Eagles game a couple years ago where McNabb beat us single handedly is a perfect example.

While he can make the 1st defender miss (sometimes), elusive in my mind is making the 2nd and 3rd defender miss. It's a big thing to be elusive, and only a handful of RB's in the league are right now: Faulk, Holmes, Martin, etc. Davis isn't elusive, no, but he's still an elite back.

That is a hard question to answer because everyone has a different mental picture of an ellusive back.

Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders are ellusive backs.

Stephen Davis is a POWER running back, with a taste, all be it small, of speed.

So, maybe you can tell your friend that Emmitt and Barry are move/speedy ellusive backs.

But Davis is a POWER ellusive back. :)

(You and your friend are actually arguing over wether he is ellusive? Geez) :)

Stephen Davis runs like a bowling ball. He hits something, then moves on his way. I haven't seen him juke someone out his jockstrap in a long time. Barry Sanders was more then elusive, he was a freak of nature. Marshall Faulk is the best blend of power of elusiveness. What makes him good is his ability to make people miss and at the same time not lose any speed. Stephen Davis cannot do that. Once the big rig is moving, it's tough to put on the brakes and head another direction. Wouldn't have it any other way :)

Yeah Orange, I'll give you the fact that Donovan McNabb is elusive, but ITS EASY TO BE ELUSIVE WHEN YOU HAVE THE WORST TACKLING SAFETY IN THE GAME (Matt Stevens) TRYING TO TACKLE YOU!!! UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!

That guy seriously made me crazy. Him and "The Sheriff". These are the players who contribute to the overall elusiveness of mcnabb, sanders, etc.

Within the context of football skills Stephen Davis is Hardly elusive.

An elusive football player is one that never takes a direct hit. One that uses multiple cuts when legging out a run. An elusive runner makes use of plenty of Ab-libbing (sometimes to his own detriment).

Stephen Davis is a ONE CUT RUNNER, with tremendous size and speed. He also takes alot of hits. Terry Allen with size and faster would be the best analogy. Terry Allen was hardly elusive, but, Had a knack for avoiding full on collisions.

examples of elusive runners: Barry Sanders(poster child), Charlie Garner, Ricky Watters, Edgerrin James, Joe Washington, etc etc.

I would just add that in addition to being a power runner, Davis does a very good job of finding the hole and hitting it at the right time. But no, he's not elusive. When he gets past the line of scrimmage and into the secondary, he's much more likely to use the stiff arm rather than just juke the hell out of somebody, like Sanders or Faulk would. And he's also generally not able to make any crazy move to get around someone who gets into the backfield early like elusive backs sometimes can.

"Stephen Davis is a terd with legs". Whoa! It would appear rat, that someone is not real happy with old #48. I would second your answer with the additon of having a :pint: to along with :high: . pound, what is that all about ?

Archived