Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rohan Davey...I know I sound Crazy

jRight

Originally posted by bubba9497

:doh: eh, no

PR is 3x the qb Davey will ever be

I would Disagree Bubba

Since PR's first game I have noticed he locks on to the 1 Wr. He continue to do it this pass season, and for some reason I feel he will not change.

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

:doh: I don't think so!!

Has Davey even seen the field!!

I've seen him in preseason action. Davey was in NFL Europe over the summer, some personnel men over there said he was the best QB they had ever seen come through there. Oh and by the way, Brady was sitting on the bench before he got any action and that seemed to turn out pretty well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/05/07/mmqb/

Remember Rohan Davey? Big man on LSU campus earlier this century. Daunte Culpepper reincarnated. Big kid, mobile, terrific arm, better leader. New England snuck the QB out of Baton Rouge in the fourth round of the 2002 draft, Nick Saban's gift to old friend Bill Belichick, and he's been hibernating ever since.

The Patriots will visit the White House Monday. They'll be honored by President Bush for winning Super Bowl XXXVIII. One of the bench warmers on that team, Davey, won't be there. He'll be in Germany, resting up after another NFL Europe game, and thinking, I presume, about backing up Tom Brady this year.

Davey's is not really a sexy story, but it's an interesting one. In the last three years, Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson and Jake Delhomme -- all NFL Europe alums -- have quarterbacked in the Super Bowl. I'm no soothsayer (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night), but my money is on Davey someday following in their footsteps. He has a long way to go, but his first taste of pro football is giving him the confidence that one day he will play on the big stage. Davey has led the Berlin Thunder to a 5-0 record, and he's been the best player in the league -- 76 for 126, 1,028 yards, 12 touchdowns, three interceptions and a passer rating of 108.2.

I phoned Davey the other day. The kid makes a great impression. The book on him is a player who teammates like and trust, and a loyal guy to the starter -- Brady, in this case. But Davey hadn't played, really, since the fall of 2001 with LSU, so the Patriots urged him to take a turn at Europe. Ten starts plus the playoffs at something a smidge higher than SEC-level of competition, with weekly calls to Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to talk to analyze his game on film. The Patriots thought there would be very few negatives to this plan. And they're right, so far. There has been zero downside. With New England looking for a backup quarterback -- it had jettisoned Damon Huard and been rebuffed in a waiver-claim for Kurt Kittner, having been trumped by lower-in-the-standings Cincinnati for the former Falcons backup -- Davey is playing well enough to be one Brady injury away from playing for the Super Bowl champs.

"My career so far has definitely been weird, coming from playing a lot to sitting,'' Davey told me. "But now playing again, it's like I'm reborn. It's a time to learn. I've had a good coaching staff and a great player to learn from. Tom and Damon Huard have been great to me, and it's been good seeing how coach Belichick and coach Weis work. I know it's only a matter of time before I get my chance, and that's what I'm working toward now. When this opportunity came up, I thought about it for a couple of days, but then I knew I wanted to come. It's been a great experience, a little better than college ball but obviously not the NFL. But they've made it so that the competition is very, very even. And guys who play here all know that coaches around the league are going to watch every film, so they've been playing really hard every week. They all want to catch someone's eye."

Scouts who've watched tape of Davey in NFL Europe games say he's been cool in the pocket, moving well when needed but establishing a good presence. His gaudy 8.9-yards-per-attempt average means he's doing a good job of getting the ball downfield too. "Every quarterback likes to throw the long ball,'' he said. "But it's not how many times you throw it. It's how many times you hit it. It's a credit to them. Our coaches preach explosion plays, so they're letting me throw the deep ones.

"If I was in Foxboro right now, there's no way I'd be getting this kind of work. By coming over here, after not playing for two years, I get the reps with the first unit, get the two-minute drill, get out and compete with people in your face. It's great. I know it's making me a better player. There's no substitute for that in camp, or a preseason game, nothing. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. There's no doubt I'm doing what's best for me and the New England Patriots.''

I asked Davey if he'd miss being in Rose Garden Monday with his Patriots teammates.

"Yes,'' he said. "It'd be great to be there. But hopefully someday I get to meet the President -- when I'm celebrating a Super Bowl that I played in.''

Originally posted by jRight

I would Disagree Bubba

Since PR's first game I have noticed he locks on to the 1 Wr. He continue to do it this pass season, and for some reason I feel he will not change.

:laugh: Davey is a stiff,

PR locks into one receiver :rolleyes: I guess that's why he threw so many dump off passes :laugh: don't believe everything you read. PR has progressed in his short time under Gibbs.... next season will be even more progression

I have watched Davey since LSU... and he will never be more than a backup. he's big and rigid, arm strength questionable and other than 1 good season in NFLE very inconsistant.

I'd say he's still an unknown at this point. He did have a great summer in NFLE, but he didn't look so hot in preseason. Then again, I'd like to see what he could do if he was playing with the starters (but not this year!).

The guy is huge and has a cannon for an arm. Supposedly, in practice, he kneels on the 50 yard line and tosses it through the end zone. That strength may have hurt him though since he didn't need good mechanics to toss it a mile. He just sort of flicks the ball, and the limited time we have seen him, alot of his passes fly high.

I'd say you guys should stick with Ramsey.

Davey's arm strength questionable, bubba? Hardly. Maybe you didn't notice his arm because ya'll knocked him out in the SECCG. :) Oh but you did see him two other times, the OT game at Death Valley, and the win by ya'll at Neyland earlier in 2001 season. I loved Davey at LSU and wish him all the best, but he won't be a better QB than Ramsey. I pray he doesn't go to Dallas though...ahhhh.

I've noticed Ramsey still staring down receivers a lot this year, but hopefully our new QB coach will be teaching him some new habits.

I'm not sure why the QB talk around here - we can't get rid of Brunell as the #2 for a while and Hass is a nice #3.

That really isn't true. I've seen him look off many receivers this year. Bum rap, I say. I think Ramsey is a better QB than Davey, but I liked Davey coming out of LSU and still like him. I'd be all for having him as a potential #2.

Originally posted by Pats42

I'd say he's still an unknown at this point. He did have a great summer in NFLE, but he didn't look so hot in preseason. Then again, I'd like to see what he could do if he was playing with the starters (but not this year!).

The guy is huge and has a cannon for an arm. Supposedly, in practice, he kneels on the 50 yard line and tosses it through the end zone. That strength may have hurt him though since he didn't need good mechanics to toss it a mile. He just sort of flicks the ball, and the limited time we have seen him, alot of his passes fly high.

I'd say you guys should stick with Ramsey.

yeah aj feeley can toss it through the goal posts too:rolleyes:

no really, he can im not kidding

Davey is money. If Miami had any brains they'd try and pry him out of NE for a 3rd rounder and spend their 1st on Benson.

I see no reason to think he'd be any better than Ramsey, but I do think he'll be a really good QB if he gets the chance, which he won't in NE...

Archived