Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Merged) Jonathan Vilma wins defensive rookie of the year

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1961442

NEW YORK -- Jonathan Vilma brought exactly what the New York Jets needed on defense with a performance so brilliant he won The Associated Press 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Defensive Rookie of the Year voting

Player, team Votes

Jonathan Vilma, NY Jets 21

Dunta Robinson, Houston 12

D.J. Williams, Denver 7

Sean Taylor, Washington 3

Jared Allen, Kansas City 2

Karlos Dansby, Arizona 1

Tommie Harris, Chicago 1

Michael Boulware, Seattle 1

Vilma, the 12th pick in last year's draft, did it with the speed and exuberance that convinced New York to make him the first linebacker chosen. A terror at the University of Miami, Vilma moved into the starting lineup in Game 3 and led a defensive revival that lifted the Jets (10-6) into the playoffs.

No longer did the Jets lack the quickness and aggressiveness so desperately desired at linebacker. Vilma even made those around him better, and not many rookies manage to do that.

"I know our draft class was really loaded with a lot of good talented defensive players, so it would mean a lot to me," Vilma said after earning 21 votes from a national panel of 48 writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. "When I first came here, I told a lot of the media that I'd prepare and play as if I'm a starter. When I got my opportunity, I got my chance, so it was just a matter of getting the experience. I didn't have to change any of my ways or my habits."

Lucky for the Jets he didn't. Vilma took over in the middle, an even bigger challenge because he was required to call signals. Coincidentally, this year's top offensive rookie, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, played the most difficult position on that side of the ball.

"It's something that he can cherish a long time," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said of Vilma. "He's been with a defense that has allowed him to make some plays, he's capitalized on what we've asked him to do."

The Jets asked Vilma to do just about everything. He began the season behind Sam Cowart, but the veteran was sidelined in the second game by a sprained left knee. That was all the opening Vilma needed as he went from part-timer to star.

Vilma was at his best in a 13-3 victory at Arizona. He had 10 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery. The interception came early in the fourth quarter with the Cardinals driving. The fumble recovery came on Arizona's next drive.

He scored on a 38-yard interception return in the finale, giving the Jets a lead they couldn't protect. He was the first Jets rookie to return an interception for a TD since safety Erik McMillan in 1988. McMillan also was Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Jonathan Vilma

Linebacker

New York Jets

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

105 80 25 0 2 3

Vilma had six tackles in that game, giving him 116 for the season. He had two sacks, three interceptions, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

And a huge impact.

"I'm definitely excited about whoever is taking notice of how I play," Vilma said. "Roman Phifer of the Patriots told me he likes the way I play. That means a lot being a rookie. Kevin Faulk came up to me, said he liked the way I played. Whenever veterans come up to you and tell you that, it's always very flattering and makes you feel good. If they say I'm doing good, then I must be doing something right."

Houston cornerback Dunta Robinson was second with 12 votes, followed by Denver LB D.J. Williams with seven and Washington safety Sean Taylor with 3. Williams and Taylor also played at Miami.

"Playing next to a guy like that, you know how tough he is, and I'm sure he would say likewise," Williams said of Vilma. "I knew when he got to the NFL, he would make an impact."

Kansas City end Jared Allen got two votes. Receiving one each were Arizona LB Karlos Dansby, Chicago tackle Tommie Harris and Seattle safety Michael Boulware.

Vilma is the third Jets player to win the award, following McMillan and end Hugh Douglas (1995). Last year's winner was Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs.

3/4 of the voting was ALL ABOUT THE U BABY!!!

All 3 of the players in front of Taylor started from day 1, I believe. Otherwise he got completely disrespected. Of course, those 3 or 4 TDs he gave up in the last few games didn't help him (granted there isn't a player in the league who could've prevented Moss from making that TD catch). That's something the national media would take in a heartbeat to use against a Skin.

oh well, not surprising I spose. I think Taylor was a longshot as he has not created as many game changing plays compared to Vilma or Robinson. All you heard on sportscenter and other NFL highlights of the Jets was Vilma or Martin doing something.

Vilma wins, followed by Houston's Dunta Robinson, and Denver's DJ Williams, then Taylor.

[EDIT: Old News, mods please merge or delete while I self flagellate.]

Vilma wins top defensive rookie honors

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

January 7, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jonathan Vilma brought exactly what the New York Jets needed on defense with a performance so brilliant he won The Associated Press 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Vilma, the 12th pick in last year's draft, did it with the speed and exuberance that convinced New York to make him the first linebacker chosen. A terror at the University of Miami, Vilma moved into the starting lineup in Game 3 and led a defensive revival that lifted the Jets (10-6) into the playoffs.

No longer did the Jets lack the quickness and aggressiveness so desperately desired at linebacker. Vilma even made those around him better, and not many rookies manage to do that.

``I know our draft class was really loaded with a lot of good talented defensive players, so it would mean a lot to me,'' Vilma said after earning 21 votes from a national panel of 48 writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. ``When I first came here I told a lot of the media that I'd prepare and play as if I'm a starter. When I got my opportunity, I got my chance, so it was just a matter of getting the experience. I didn't have to change any of my ways or my habits.''

Lucky for the Jets he didn't. Vilma took over in the middle, an even bigger challenge because he was required to call signals. Coincidentally, this year's top offensive rookie, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, played the most difficult position on that side of the ball.

``It's something that he can cherish a long time,'' defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said of Vilma. ``He's been with a defense that has allowed him to make some plays, he's capitalized on what we've asked him to do.''

The Jets asked Vilma to do just about everything. He began the season behind Sam Cowart, but the veteran was sidelined in the second game by a sprained left knee. That was all the opening Vilma needed as he went from part-timer to star.

Vilma was at his best in a 13-3 victory at Arizona. He had 10 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery. The interception came early in the fourth quarter with the Cardinals driving. The fumble recovery came on Arizona's next drive.

He scored on a 38-yard interception return in the finale, giving the Jets a lead they couldn't protect. He was the first Jets rookie to return an interception for a TD since safety Erik McMillan in 1988. McMillan also was Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Vilma had six tackles in that game, giving him 116 for the season. He had two sacks, three interceptions, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

And a huge impact.

``I'm definitely excited about whoever is taking notice of how I play,'' Vilma said. ``Roman Phifer of the Patriots told me he likes the way I play. That means a lot being a rookie. Kevin Faulk came up to me, said he liked the way I played. Whenever veterans come up to you and tell you that, it's always very flattering and makes you feel good. If they say I'm doing good then I must be doing something right.''

Houston cornerback Dunta Robinson was second with 12 votes, followed by Denver LB D.J. Williams with seven and Washington safety Sean Taylor with 3. Williams and Taylor also played at Miami.

``Playing next to a guy like that, you know how tough he is and I'm sure he would say likewise,'' Williams said of Vilma. ``I knew when he got to the NFL, he would make an impact.''

Kansas City end Jared Allen got two votes. Receiving one each were Arizona LB Karlos Dansby, Chicago tackle Tommie Harris and Seattle safety Michael Boulware.

Vilma is the third Jets player to win the award, following McMillan and end Hugh Douglas (1995). Last year's winner was Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZ2NvMjltBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-defensiverookie&prov=ap&type=lgns

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

All 3 of the players in front of Taylor started from day 1, I believe. Otherwise he got completely disrespected. Of course, those 3 or 4 TDs he gave up in the last few games didn't help him (granted there isn't a player in the league who could've prevented Moss from making that TD catch). That's something the national media would take in a heartbeat to use against a Skin.

"The Jets asked Vilma to do just about everything. He began the season behind Sam Cowart, but the veteran was sidelined in the second game by a sprained left knee. That was all the opening Vilma needed as he went from part-timer to star."

Originally posted by SmashMouth

How could the 'Canes ever lose a game with all that talent?

With that kind of talent on defense, there is not reason they should not have won the national championship.

Anyways, Vilma deserved it. He really had a great year and lead that defense. I really didn't ever see Robinson play, but was he really that good?

Archived