Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people still sold on Rock over Betts?

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

I'm not evaluating Rock on 2 carries Blondie, however Betts' play all season gives him credibility that he belongs as an important part of this offense and team's overall future. :)

And on that, I agree.

It is the smart ass remarks from those who wouldn't have a clue how to evaluate the "team" player that I am directing this too.

He is 3rd on the RB list for a reason. DUH.

However, I think you knew what you were doing by the title of your thread, and the ;) .

He is a great player on special teams. Those players are needed too.

Blondie

Betts proved he should be the #2 back without question. He probably could've been a good #1 this year, but that's over and done with. Rock has a place here as a st'er, he's got fire and we always need that, but the rb order has to be Portis/Betts as 1 & 2.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

I think Rock would be an excellent short-yardage back. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Gibbs agrees. As much as I like Rock, I don't think he'll be here long.

And I will admit, this pisses the crap outta me.

They TOLD him to lose weight. He did........but he was a great short yardage guy with the weight.

I have accepted the had that was dealt him.......as has he. He has proved he will do whatever is asked of him to be the team player.

He is a RFA. I hope he comes back here........if not, I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Blondie

Originally posted by Blondie

And on that, I agree.

It is the smart ass remarks from those who wouldn't have a clue how to evaluate the "team" player that I am directing this too.

He is 3rd on the RB list for a reason. DUH.

However, I think you knew what you were doing by the title of your thread, and the ;) .

He is a great player on special teams. Those players are needed too.

Blondie

:D

Seriously, my biggest hang up is that some people think that Portis is far and away better than Betts. I think Betts could be on an equal playing field with Portis if given 300 carries this year, but unfortunately that may never happen in Washington. Portis has proven...in Denver, but Betts isn't given much credit by people.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

If our Oline improves, watch Portis improve as well. I still like Betts as a backup for Portis. I also like Betts to always get some carries during the game. I am not sold on Betts replacing Portis.

I agree that we'll get a better evaluation on Portis with a better O-line, but I wish he'd get stronger. He's weak as hell and gets dropped everytime when he's hit headon.

I don't know if there's anybody on this board who's sold on Rock over Betts. (Well, OK, maybe one somebody).

I would consider myself to be one of the people who really like to see more of him, simply because I think the guy's been here three years, and the only time he's seen the field was occasionally, during Spurrier's second season. And I think that when he did see the field, he did really well.

Did he single-handedly run over the entire Vikings D, when the Vikes D knew he was coming? No. (And I'll grant, some of Betts' carries there at the end weren't exactly mysteries, either.)

Would I be OK with Rock being #2 on the chart (and, say, trading Betts)? I'd really like to have some more film to study. I've got a feeling he could handle it. (And I think he's proven his abilities at short yardage).

Cartwright has been a solid (sometimes, like today, spectacular) contributor to our Special Teams unit and as such, deserves a spot on the Redskin's roster next season.

We can't let hard-playing, high character, team-first guys leave the Redskins.

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

I won't be happy if we trade him, but as much money as we spent on Portis, Betts is the odd man out.

I think this team will put a premium on draft picks this off-season and he is one of the ways that we could get him...I think he is a good fit here but I'm sure he will get interest from other teams for him...

So let me get this straight, because Betts has a good day vs a very poor defense, he's better than Portis?

Portis #1, Betts #2, Rock = odd man out.

You have to do what's best for the team and starting Betts over Portis is not it, nor starting Rock over Betts.

Fix the O-line and the run game will be fine.

I don't think that this team can afford to lose either one of these players personally. I for one have always been on record here as saying that Betts is and was drafted here for a reason, and that he was the Stephen Davis/Gerald Riggs type back that was (at the time he was drafted) a prototypical Gibbs running back. Today's game was pretty evident of that.

Rock is great on special teams and he could also fill in that short-yardage situation as well, should Betts get hurt or some other possibility.

There is absolutely ZERO reason as to why we can't have both players on the roster for next season.

Archived