Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What players could be cut?

TLusby

The following players might not be on this team for 2005 either by cutting them or possibly trading them. The SB acceleration will affect the cap but most could be a June 1st cut which would push the dead cap space into 2006. I did not list MB since I believe his contract with a $8M SB would be to great to cut in 2005.

This is their 2005 cap hit:

Wynn 4.083M

Samuels 9.643M

Raymer 1.108M

Noble 1.950M

Morton 1.040M

McCants 1.212M

Haley 1.162M

Gardner 2.557M

Friedman 0.800M

Bowen 1.400M

Barrow 2.156M

This is their contact SB and date thereof:

Barrow 2.5M SB over 6 years or $416k per year

DOC: 2004

Bowen 1.6M SB over 4 years or $400k per year

DOC: 2003

Friedman Insignificant

Gardner 5.1M SB over 5 years or $1.020M per year

DOC: 2001

Haley Insignificant

McCants 2.0M SB over 3 years or $667k per year

DOC: 2004

Morton 2.5M SB over 5 years or $500k per year

Noble 1.8M SB over 4 years or $450k per year

Raymer Insignificant

Samuels 14.9M SB over 7 years or $2.128M per year

DOC: 2000

Wynn 3.5M SB over 6 years or $583k per year

DOC: 2002

Definitely: Jermaine Haley - Mike Barrow after June 1st - Friedman -

More then likely - Raymer

Traded: Gardener

Question mark: Noble. His base salary goes up to $1.5 million. Does a rotation guy warrant that? If so, then they will probably have to pay Joe Salave'a an equal amount, which could be a problem.

Possibly: Wynn after June 1st, if he doesn't renegoiate.

Other players may just not be resigned and will be replaced with cheaper players. Such as Kozlowski, Franz, etc.

Until we get Samuels contract out of the way -- one way or the other -- its hard to really figure where the Skins stand with the cap.

I think Wynn is definitely gone after June 1. It would save about $3.5M this year and only create $1.1M or so of dead space in 2006. He will be one to go or restructure. We definitely will be tight but restructures will be key for Vinney and Dan.

Samuels: hopefully work out a new deal, if not, the 'Skins look to trade him.

Wynn: I would ask him to covert some salary into incentives, he won't get that money elsewhere so he may go for it, if he doesn't, we may have to cut him.

I would cut Friedman, his signing bonus was very small and has a low cap hit, I keep Raymer for veteran depth, he is not on a massive salary and if we get a new center, Raymer can help the new guy adjust and help him through the line calls etc.

Haley I would cut, we could find a guy to be the 4th DT for vet minimum or even less if a young player takes the roster spot. I would be tempted to ask Noble to convert some salary to incentives, as he would have trouble getting a deal elsewhere with his injury problems of the past. It's not a nice thing to do to a guy who has come back so well but this is a business.

I would NOT cut Barrow, it's only a small cap sving and when you factor in that you need a replacement it actually costs more. He is a good player when healthy, knows the D and can be coach type player. Also depends on what happens with Pierce.

Morton saves no money cutting him, wait until cap/pre season, if he is struggling, cut him them, we need competition at KR though.

I don't cut Bowen either, he is not on a massive salary and deserves the chance to compete with Ryan Clark for the SS spot.

Look to trade Gardener is possible, I would expect to get a 3rd rounder maximum.

I would cut:

Wynn

Raymer

Noble

Morton

Haley

Friedman

Bowen

Barrow

Hopefully we can work a new deal out with Samuels. Ouch 9 Mil is a TON. I wouldn't lose sleep if we could manage to trade him to San Francisco for their 2nd rounder though(which is essentially a late first).

I'd keep Bowen. He was brilliant at run support and rushing the qb early on. I think his value is worth more than the value of cutting him.

Barrow probably would be gone, as well as Wynn. I'd probably keep one of two centers... but I'm not sure which. I would keep Noble if possible. He's a good comeback story and we need blue colar tough guys. Unless we find a way to use McCants I would trade or cut. Gardner is also a good prospect for cutting. I don't think his trade value is much after two down years.

We keep Barrow and Bowen. I would keep Friedman because of his ability to play several back up positions on the OL. Wynn and Samuels must restructure or be cut. Same with Nobles.

Haley will be gone for sure. Raymer is dependent on the evaluation of the coaches, but I think he will stay. Morton should stay as well and be used more as a passing down RB.

Clark, he's been playing well in Bowens absence all year. I don't see him getting cut though I think he can make a great contribution to this team on defense.

Out of all the guys listed my candidates are Morton, Haley and Friedman. Wynn has been a solid to good contributor on the line and will likely get restructured. Same for Noble and Samuels.

Greg Williams loves Barrow but if we resign Pierce he could very well be on his way out.

Gardner will likely be traded this offseason. I see us making a splash in the first round and go for Mike Williams. At the same time we have McCants and Jacobs waiting in the wing making him even more expendable.

guys i hate to break it to you but mccants is gone after this season. i am really disliking gibbs for benching mccants and making him the no. 5 receiver but you dont pay 1.2 mil to your no. 5 receiver. i can see gibbs cutting mccants and either moving antonio brown into his spot or drafting another guy. wynn needs to restructure, as does samuels. for some reason, my intuition is telling me that Molinaro can be an effective starting LT. I remember in the atlanta game in the preseason how he owned patrick kearney. You guys thought wilson was good. But there is a reason why molinaro was active for more games than wilson

Archived