Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot has 'gut feeling' he might not be back

Sire

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

No worries we can tag him or tender him an offer correct? I would be happy to tag him and see if anyone is willing to give up the two 1st's or the 1st and 3rd.

I dont think we can use the Franchise Tag again two years in a row. And before you say Orlando Pace or Walter Jones, they were the same player tagged year after year. I dont think you can in consecutive years to different players.

i hate to say this because i know i will get ripped, but...i wouldn't say that we have any untouchable players on our team. if a guy wants to leave, then, so be it. i'm sick of watching a poor product that is annually paid handsomely more than their peers. we've been losing with these guys, we can obviously lose without them. i can understand why they would want to bolt after losing so much. i would understand more if they wanted to stick around and create a winner.

i've heard so much about how talented this team is. says who?....because we gave some guy a mega contract or drafted him high...he must be good right? that's really not how it works fellas. we have a team full of top round picks and top flight free agents. we have a team that has made the playoffs once in the past ten years. we have a team built on rep and hype. "we can't lose lavar"...we have the 2nd ranked d without him. "we need a de to improve our pass rush"...we have the 2nd ranked d without one. "portis can't run in our system"...he's facing 8 man fronts because our qb doesn't have the time to take a 7 step drop to complete a pass down field to loosen up the d.

no one player is bigger than the team. yes, we all have our favorites and would hate to think of them in another uniform. but, one thing you will come to learn with gibbs, is, that, no one player is bigger than the team. we've heard about "redskins" all season. the lip service probably didn't give credence during the heat of a season. please, bet your @ss, gibbs will get his "redskins". some may be let go...smoot for example...that will raise an eyebrow. let's not forget, no one player is bigger than the team. if you lose one player via free agency, injury or whatever, and can't compete as a team as a result, then you were not a good team to begin with. see lawyor milloy and the patriots last season.

let's keep our eyes on the ball folks...or the team for that matter. we root for the team first. players are a distant second.

Originally posted by Warhead36

Thats the problem with our organization.

We pay big bucks to guys OUTSIDE the team, that do things for OTHER teams, but we can't pay one of our own?

We gave Mark Brunell $40 Million or whatever because he played well for JACKSONVILLE.

We gave Clinton Portis $50 Million because he played well for DENVER.

Look at when we raided the Jets. We paid those guys big bucks because they played well for the JETS, NOT because they played well for US.

It's time we start rewarding OUR guys, not dumping them off to get OTHER teams guys.

that's a good point, though the Skins have handsomely rewarded Arrington and Samuels. It could be argued that the Skins really never had many of thier own to pay out the big bucks to. Champ was going to be the first and he jumped ship. Stephen Davis was rewarded with a big new deal that was terribly done so they had to revisit the situation in 2 years. No one really else deserved it. That's how crappy the Skins have been drafting/developing players recently, but it's also an outcome of the systems changing so frequently. The new coaches don't have time to draft and develop, they need quick fix type FAs.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

If we can replace Champ, we can replace Smoot.

Part of the reason the Skins could replace Champ is because they had Smoot. I don't want Walt Harris starting opposite Springs next year and the FA market for CBs isn't what it was last year, though I've read both Oakland CBs, Charles Woodson and Philip Buchanon might be gone.

This is just people talking???

Yeah...its SMOOT talking.

a) If you want to be here, talk to the front office, not the freaking press.

B) If he thinks he'll get anything remotely approaching the ridiculous deal Bailey got (even in the same universe as that kind of money) he's insane.

c) This is disappointing.

I love Smoot as a player. But if the money is more important to him than winning a championship and being a Redskin, then I don't want him. I'm so sick of that mentality.

Originally posted by Stone Cold

...we've been losing with these guys, we can obviously lose without them...

:laugh: Good point.

But then again, consistency is one of the needed things.

Smoot is a good player, with a lot of heart.

He just needs Bailey to stop whispering in his ear - that is giving him bad ideas.

Originally posted by Tarhog

This is just people talking???

Yeah...its SMOOT talking.

a) If you want to be here, talk to the front office, not the freaking press.

B) If he thinks he'll get anything remotely approaching the ridiculous deal Bailey got (even in the same universe as that kind of money) he's insane.

c) This is disappointing.

I love Smoot as a player. But if the money is more important to him than winning a championship and being a Redskin, then I don't want him. I'm so sick of that mentality.

I agree Tarhog, it is funny that he's coming out and saying this to everyone. I think this is a bargining ploy. I agree with all of your points. If we weren't going pay Champ that money, why would we pay Smoot that?

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I think the big question is, who would we rather risk losing in the offseason: Pierce or Smoot? If one of them leaves, then I would say the other one will definately get signed no doubt.

I love both, but I would rather us re-sign Smoot. Peirce has helped us alot this season and is a great player. But its easier to replace him than Smoot.

Originally posted by phutfut

basically... as one of the head coaches said before. .. I will never draft a CB in the first round anymore because of the new rule. You're better off just putting a body out there and hoping they could cover the ball

What are you talking about? Talent at that position is EVEN MORE CRUCIAL now then in the past. Hope is never a very good course of action, young man.

Well lets remember that no numbers have graced the news articles presence yet, so we really have no idea what the front office is offering opposed to what Smoot is asking. It did kind of pain me because extension talks started a few months ago, and usually in situations like this, it either happens right away, or not at all, and I was afraid to death of Smoot hitting the FA market because he is one of those players that can GET AWAY with asking for ELITE PLAYER money because there are other teams out there DESPERATE for a quality corner, where as Washington will look at it like oh well he can be replaced. I really found a new appreciation for Smoot this season, but he has to realize that in this day in age of professional sports, it CAN'T ALWAYS be about trying to get the MAX CONTRACT available, or you will be switching teams every five years or so, unless you have no problem with it. I would hate for this to be one of those situations where SMoot ends up on another team because he and his agents were unwilling to bend on like one or two million dollars.

Originally posted by Tarhog

where does it say money is more important than winning a championship?? we aren't very close to a SB any time soon (and if i'm wrong i will gladly eat crow:D ) so if he doesn't stay maybe he will sign with a contender

Originally posted by carter23

where does it say money is more important than winning a championship?? we aren't very close to a SB any time soon (and if i'm wrong i will gladly eat crow:D ) so if he doesn't stay maybe he will sign with a contender

Oh yeah, right.....this is ALL about Smoot's relentless pursuit of a championship.....if that was his priority, no way any player would walk away from a Joe Gibb's coached team, I don't care how we played his first season back.

Archived