Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot has 'gut feeling' he might not be back

Sire

Originally posted by Westbrook36

What are you talking about? Talent at that position is EVEN MORE CRUCIAL now then in the past. Hope is never a very good course of action, young man.

In a way yes, but in a way no. You want a CB that has cover skills, and can limit TD passes, but at the same time, you have to make sure he is the right fit. I mean Smoot doesn't have that many INTs, and has always been criticized for not being a great tackler, but he also hasn't had a single TD pass thrown on him, which speaks highly of him tending to always be in a good position to make a play, maybe not an INT, but to make some type of play. Where as a guy like Bailey has better cover skills then Smoot, but he is more hit or miss, where he either gets the INT/pass deflection or gets burned for a long TD pass. Smoot gives up more catches, but usually the receiver goes down right after the catch. It is really a roll of the dice to see which style of CB is a better fit for that specific scheme and/or what preference the coaches have. The new rules I'd say favor a CB like Smoot over a CB like Bailey, but that is just my opinion.

Originally posted by phutfut

basically... as one of the head coaches said before. .. I will never draft a CB in the first round anymore because of the new rule. You're better off just putting a body out there and hoping they could cover the ball

Parcells said it. He's basically right, but that rule might not be in effect forever.

The thing is though, I am getting tired of players opening their mouths and talking about how great it is to be a Redskins, and how they want to stick it out for the fans and the city and what not, yet at the drop of a hat, they will walk out to a new team over maybe 1 or 2 million dollars stuffed in a signing bonus. If you really WANT TO BE A WASHINGTON REDSKINS in your heart, then taking a lesser contract which mind you, is still going to be a multimillion dollar contract, should not be a problem.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

Am I the only one who thinks that Smoot is a good corner, but not a top corner in the league. He's good, but how many times have we seen him burned on deep routes. I wouldn't give him a penny more than Springs.

I agree somewhat. Springs has been more of a shutdown corner this season, basically filling in for Bailey to take on the #1 WR. Although Smoot has stepped up his game, it still remains to be seen what it would have been like if Smoot was designated on the top WR every single game. I think the signing of Shawn Springs lifted a huge burden off of Smoot's shoulders, and while Smoot has been awesome, I think sportswriters are quick to give all the praise to Smoot and not realize that Springs basically resurrected his early probowl type play this season.

Am I the only one who thinks that Smoot is a good corner, but not a top corner in the league. He's good, but how many times have we seen him burned on deep routes. I wouldn't give him a penny more than Springs.

hey, i love smoot but you are who you are and he has never even been to a pro bowl...and when you negotiate those things come up

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I agree somewhat. Springs has been more of a shutdown corner this season, basically filling in for Bailey to take on the #1 WR. Although Smoot has stepped up his game, it still remains to be seen what it would have been like if Smoot was designated on the top WR every single game. I think the signing of Shawn Springs lifted a huge burden off of Smoot's shoulders, and while Smoot has been awesome, I think sportswriters are quick to give all the praise to Smoot and not realize that Springs basically resurrected his early probowl type play this season.

Springs has been amazing this year. The knock on him was that he was finished, but he's shown he's a top flight CB this year. Ken Lucas would be an effective replacement.

Originally posted by [[ghost]]

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, if he goes, we have to get antrelle rolle. but, god damn, i love smoot!!!!

easy ghost, you jinxed him with your sig:laugh:

Originally posted by [[ghost]]

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, if he goes, we have to get antrelle rolle. but, god damn, i love smoot!!!!

Antrelle Rolle is a physical, grabbing corner coming into a league where you can't do that. Now Carlos Rodgers is a Shawn Springs-type fluid pass coverage corner. But the Skins can trade down and get him.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

No worries we can tag him or tender him an offer correct? I would be happy to tag him and see if anyone is willing to give up the two 1st's or the 1st and 3rd.

Tag him? Then we have to pay him like a top 5 CB and it hurts us with the salary cap. Can't do that...

Antrelle Rolle is a physical, grabbing corner coming into a league where you can't do that. Now Carlos Rodgers is a Shawn Springs-type fluid pass coverage corner. But the Skins can trade down and get him.

yep, Rolle is going to struggle if he continues to play the way he does right now. He's a big time grabber. I'd rather have Rodgers or Pac Man Jones. Even Corey Webster, who's stock has dropped, but is probably one the best cover guys in college right now.

I wouldn't give him a penny more than Springs.

So there it is right there. Springs' money seems like a good barometer. If we ever hear numbers we'll get a pretty good idea about which side is being unreasonable. The Redskins offering less than they offered Springs, Smoot asking for more than Springs is getting, or both.

For me as a fan, unless the Redskins are offering him a lot less than they're paying Springs, I'm very disappointed that Smoot's making it all about the money. I realize that it can be a part of negotiations, but it doesn't have to go to the press.

Originally posted by skinsnatsfan

So there it is right there. Springs' money seems like a good barometer. If we ever hear numbers we'll get a pretty good idea about which side is being unreasonable. The Redskins offering less than they offered Springs, Smoot asking for more than Springs is getting, or both.

For me as a fan, unless the Redskins are offering him a lot less than they're paying Springs, I'm very disappointed that Smoot's making it all about the money. I realize that it can be a part of negotiations, but it doesn't have to go to the press.

If I recall, the Wash Post article about the negotiations had the Skins offering basically the same deal that Springs got. If Smoot is rejecting that, I'm sure someone like Ken Lucas will take it(or less).

Originally posted by Sire

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-smoot&prov=ap&type=lgns

Smoot said Bailey has been giving him advice on how to handle contract negotiations and how to play the free agent market if no deal is reached.

``It's never the player,'' Smoot said. ``It's all about the front office -- and do they want me here. Champ helped me a lot to get through this year, the mental part of it.''

:doh: we're doomed. :cry:

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

:laugh: Good point.

But then again, consistency is one of the needed things.

Smoot is a good player, with a lot of heart.

He just needs Bailey to stop whispering in his ear - that is giving him bad ideas.

Bailey is whispering in his ear because he needs help in Denver :D

Champ's hoping Smoot will come to Denver and bail him out.

I would miss Smoot...but I agree...if the money is outrageous then let him go.

Archived