Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iffy is suing Portis over the 40k for the jersey

Broohaha

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) – Arizona Cardinals safety Ifeanyi Ohalete filed a complaint Wednesday against Washington's Clinton Portis, claiming the Redskins' running back failed to pay a promised $40,000 for a jersey number.

The breach of contract complaint was filed in Maryland District Court in Upper Marlboro by Ohalete's attorney, John Steren.

"This is a last resort to get back what he's owed," Steren told The Associated Press.

When Portis was traded to the Redskins in March, he was unhappy that he could not wear 26, the number he had in his two seasons with the Denver Broncos. The number already belonged to Ohalete, who had been with the Redskins for three seasons.

Portis wore No. 3 and then No. 6 at the first two minicamps while negotiating with Ohalete. The players reached an agreement and signed a contract just before the start of the third minicamp on June 4, with Portis agreeing to pay $40,000 for the number, according to Steren.

Steren said Ohalete has tried to collect from Portis, but to no avail.

"He's asked Mr. Portis to make due on his obligation," Steren said. "The contact is fairly clear."

Ohalete switched to No. 30 after making the deal, but was cut by the Redskins during training camp in August. The Cardinals claimed him off waivers, and he has become their starting free safety.

"This is about honesty and principle," Ohalete said in the statement released through his agent, Premier Sports Management. "There is no gray area on this. We made a deal and drew up a contract.

"I held up my end of our deal and gave him my number. All I am asking is that he does what he agreed to do, and hold up his end of the deal as well. I don't think that is asking too much."

No court date has been set for the complaint. Steren said Portis could resolve the matter by paying the money.

Portis did not return a message left through a Redskins spokesman.

It is common in sports for athletes to negotiate for jersey numbers. Portis' attempts to get the number from Ohalete came shortly after the running back signed a $50.5 million contract with $17 million in bonuses.

--------------------

"I held up my end of our deal and gave him my number. All I am asking is that he does what he agreed to do, and hold up his end of the deal as well. I don't think that is asking too much."-Carinals Saftey Infeaynti Ohelate

He did realize he was cut right? He knows he didnt make the team, right? I mean, is this guy for real?

Originally posted by Redskins4ever

This is petty and ignorant! This is the stupiest thing I've ever heard of. Clinton Portis would have had the number anyway since the safety didn't even make the team.

That is immaterial. Contract law is very cut and dry. He signed a contract and therefore he has an obligation. It does not matter what events take place afterwards unless it is spelled out in the contract. Portis should pay the money he owes. I'm sure he wouldn't even notice its missing from the $17m signing bonus he received.

This is petty and ignorant! This is the stupiest thing I've ever heard of. Clinton Portis would have had the number anyway since the safety didn't even make the team.

That may be true......however, he had a contract....signed, seale, and delivered, and Iffy is due the money.

He did realize he was cut right? He knows he didnt make the team, right? I mean, is this guy for real?

What does that have to do with anything?

Do you think being cut nullifies the contract?

If you believe that, you do not know anything about contract law.

Blondie

Originally posted by Akhhorus

anyone else think it's odd that Iffy didn't wait a week until after the end of the official season?

Not at all.

Off season approaching. CP could be anywhere and say he didn't get any kind of message about the money.

Iffy's agent says they have repeatedly asked for the money.

I understand it.

Blondie

that's a shame. clinton portis is losing respect in my book and will probably lose a lot of respect in the lockerroom over this.

didn't iffy's son die during the season and snyder let a bunch of skins fly on his jet to go be with him? i thought i remembered hearing gibbs mention that in the postgame conference after the giants' win???

if so, there will be a few guys who have iffy's back on this deal. could really cause division if there isn't any already.

Originally posted by panthro

that's a shame. clinton portis is losing respect in my book and will probably lose a lot of respect in the lockerroom over this.

didn't iffy's son die during the season and snyder let a bunch of skins fly on his jet to go be with him? i thought i remembered hearing gibbs mention that in the postgame conference after the giants' win???

if so, there will be a few guys who have iffy's back on this deal. could really cause division if there isn't any already.

Rashad Bauman lost his son.

Archived