Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iffy is suing Portis over the 40k for the jersey

Broohaha

Originally posted by Larry

As with many things in life, there are just so many things about this story that just feel wrong to me.

• Two teammates actually needed a written contract to transfer a stupid jersey number?
  • And then they actually needed it?

EXACTLY!!!! SHEESH!:doh:

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

If Cp can pay 5 g's to wear some burgandy socks, he can make good on a promise to pay 40 g's to take a number from a(at the time) teammate.

My thoughts exactly. It speaks to his character. If you make the money he makes and can blow money on stupid uniform fines, then pay the man his loot. Welching is so squirmish. I like CP and ST, but I gotta admit they don't have half the character as my favorite Redskins of the past, D. Green and Charles Mann. We might need to break up that little fraternity they got going on at Redskins park. Nothing would send a larger message to all the players than trading the highest paid one.

Ol "red socks" needs to cough up the money pronto. He's a loser in Va court. It will cost him more to try and fight a losing battle since he signed a personal contract. He's f'ed and his lawyer knows it. I really don't like this kid the more I get to know him. I wish Gibbs would have an open competiton for the rb slot next year.

Originally posted by sbk92

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Get over it, Ohaeyechart! You're not a Skin anymore! You blew it!

OK. Let me get this straight. He was cut so therefore he is not owed money, right?

So....if you sold something to someone......and he paid you half the money.........and still owed you $20,000, but he moved away....you would forget the money, right?

Yeah....ok.........whatever.

The contract was a legal bidding document.

If this goes to court, CP will end up paying more, because I am sure Iffy will ask for relief in lawyer fees and court costs.

Blondie

Originally posted by Blondie

OK. Let me get this straight. He was cut so therefore he is not owed money, right?

So....if you sold something to someone......and he paid you half the money.........and still owed you $20,000, but he moved away....you would forget the money, right?

Yeah....ok.........whatever.

The contract was a legal bidding document.

If this goes to court, CP will end up paying more, because I am sure Iffy will ask for relief in lawyer fees and court costs.

Blondie

I don't doubt the legality of it. I do, however, find it petty that an athlete making several hundred thousand dollars a year would make this an issue.

You were paid 20k for a jersey number for crying out loud. Let's quit being greedy.

The important thing here is not to make the Redskins franchise look bad. Have a little class. Count your "losses" and move on. You still came out way ahead.

I'm just sick of this blatant anti-skin bias among the media. If this was a Cowpuke, nobody would be talking about it.

Originally posted by flyingtiger1013

Ol He's f'ed and his lawyer knows it. I really don't like this kid the more I get to know him.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's going to have to pay up.

It's kinda sad that you don't like him. Let me guess, you don't like Sean Taylor too because of his troubles he had earlier in the season?

This is just a sign of why Portis has that reputation.

This transaction takes place on every team (probably couple times) every single season.

It's tradition- player gets big contract and gives the scrub who's wearing his jersey number a token amount of money (and $40K of $50 million is a token sum) and they move on.

Portis first complained that he didn't want to pay for the jersey, signed an agreement to pay for it after making a big deal, and then failed to fulfill the deal?

Such a stupid issue, but the fact that it's in the paper is a sign of his immaturity- what's $40K to Portis??

now he's acting like its been paid in some other way. Didn't someone say back in summer that Portis bought him an Infiniti suv?

Portis Disputes That He Owes Money for His No. 26

Dec 30, 11:49 AM (ET) Email this Story

By JOSEPH WHITE

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Clinton Portis' agent says the Washington running back has been "more than generous" with former teammate Ifeanyi Ohalete, who claims Portis owes him $20,000 of the $40,000 promised when Ohalete gave Portis his No. 26 jersey.

"We have a position on that that is different from theirs," said Drew Rosenhaus, Portis' agent.

The complaint was filed Wednesday in Maryland District Court in Upper Marlboro.

Portis and Ohalete made the deal following Portis' offseason trade from Denver to Washington. Portis wore No. 26 during his two seasons with the Broncos, but Ohalete already had the number from his three seasons with the team.

The two signed a contract June 4 stipulating that Portis would pay $40,000 for the number, according to Ohalete's attorney, John Steren. Steren said Portis paid $20,000 but did not make two subsequent payments of $10,000 due during the season.

"Clinton has been more than generous with Ifeanyi," Rosenhaus said. He did not elaborate

Ohalete, who switched to No. 30, was cut by the Redskins during training camp in August. The Cardinals claimed him off waivers, and has become their starting free safety.

Originally posted by jimster

now he's acting like its been paid in some other way. Didn't someone say back in summer that Portis bought him an Infiniti suv?

Portis Disputes That He Owes Money for His No. 26

Dec 30, 11:49 AM (ET) Email this Story

By JOSEPH WHITE

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Clinton Portis' agent says the Washington running back has been "more than generous" with former teammate Ifeanyi Ohalete, who claims Portis owes him $20,000 of the $40,000 promised when Ohalete gave Portis his No. 26 jersey.

"We have a position on that that is different from theirs," said Drew Rosenhaus, Portis' agent.

The complaint was filed Wednesday in Maryland District Court in Upper Marlboro.

Portis and Ohalete made the deal following Portis' offseason trade from Denver to Washington. Portis wore No. 26 during his two seasons with the Broncos, but Ohalete already had the number from his three seasons with the team.

The two signed a contract June 4 stipulating that Portis would pay $40,000 for the number, according to Ohalete's attorney, John Steren. Steren said Portis paid $20,000 but did not make two subsequent payments of $10,000 due during the season.

"Clinton has been more than generous with Ifeanyi," Rosenhaus said. He did not elaborate

Ohalete, who switched to No. 30, was cut by the Redskins during training camp in August. The Cardinals claimed him off waivers, and has become their starting free safety.

And now the truth comes out!

:jump: :point2sky

what reputation? Did he stiff Shanahan in Denver on dinner a couple times?

He had a reputation of being a self centered, immature player in Denver.

They couldn't wait to get rid of him and I didn't hear a word from their locker room on how much he'll be missed...

It's pretty typical of Miami players, but this whole situation is just stupid.

Why on earth was Portis making 4 payments on this when one paycheck wipes out this debt 20 times over?

Archived