Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis Evaluation

Saint Joe

Clinton rushed for 1315 with a 3.8 yards per carry average. Did we need to trade the best cornerback in the league along with a second round pick to get a 3.8 yards per carry back? 3.8 yards per carry by the highest-paid running back in league history. Couldn't we have gotten the 3.8 average from Ladell Betts?

The problem wasn't giving up Champ for Portis, the problem was overestimating the talent on the interior of the o-line and thinking we could open up holes to get him to the 2nd level as well as thinking just b/c he is a great rb he would be a good fit for some of our slower developing running plays. I like having CP as a redskin, but given the playcalling and style of offense I have to wonder if maybe we should've taken denver's 1st for Champ and drafted Steven Jackson, who would've been a great fit for this offense imo.

Originally posted by pr11fan

The problem wasn't giving up Champ for Portis, the problem was overestimating the talent on the interior of the o-line and thinking we could open up holes to get him to the 2nd level as well as thinking just b/c he is a great rb he would be a good fit for some of our slower developing running plays. I like having CP as a redskin, but given the playcalling and style of offense I have to wonder if maybe we should've taken denver's 1st for Champ and drafted Steven Jackson, who would've been a great fit for this offense imo.

:D I really like this post. :D

Champ was not going to resign with the Redskins and IMHO franchising him would have resulted in a long hold out.

Portis is having growing pains in the new system just like Champ is having in Denver.

Time will tell who go the better end but so far it looks even.

The answer, of course, is yes.

We could have probably done more with less, in my opinion. While Portis is a great back in his own respect, he isn't a great fit for this offense. Portis doesn't have a great deal of patience, and in conjunction with a blocking scheme that doesn't really fit him, has prevented real consistant running games.

The scheme has to be looked at in the offseason, because Portis won't change his running style.

I wonder if Gibbs will match the offense to the players we have (i.e. Portis), or trade Portis and get the type of RB he wants (to the fit offense he wants to run).

I personally can't decide what type of RB is best in the NFL. The 200-210 pound RB that can outrun tackles, or the 230+ pound RB that can break tackles?

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I thought the proposed deal on the table for Lamont Jordan was an absolute steal for you guys.

I think the biggest problem with that deal is if I remember correctly that just about everyone the jets were offering was entering a contract year, don't like that at all. In retrospect I would've killed to have had SJ and Jake Grove, but our FO made their bed and now they have to lie in it. It's up to Gibbs to set things up for CP, he should've known he wasn't getting a Riggins type of back.

Originally posted by Mittens

I wonder if Gibbs will match his offense to the players we have (i.e. Portis), or trade Portis and get the type of RB he wants.

I've thought about the trade Portis thing but we cant do that b/c we paid him to much money and it would mess up our cap...+ we need to give him more time to develop into a Joe Gibbs back, he is only like 23 or 24 which is young for a RB...

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Jordan just keeps averaging over 5 yards per carry every year. Weren't THEY throwing in a pick and leaving you with your 2nd as well?

2001 ... 7.5 YPC

2002 ... 3.8 YPC

2003 ... 4.1 YPC

2004 ... 5.3 YPC

I remind you he has been spelling Curtis Martin and that the Jets' offensive line is superior to ours.

Originally posted by jtyler42

I've thought about the trade Portis thing but we cant do that b/c we paid him to much money and it would mess up our cap...+ we need to give him more time to develop into a Joe Gibbs back, he is only like 23 or 24 which is young for a RB...

I don't believe in that "can't trade" talk. If finding a player that fits your team better than the one you currently have means having some dead money for a year or two, then it's worth it.

As in develop do you mean get bigger? How else would Portis be a Gibbs type back? If Portis doesn't put on weight, then Gibbs needs to run a Portis style offense.

Champ's talent level really is irrelevant, what is relevant is what other teams were perceiving to be his worth, it is fact that we could've had denver's 1st for Champ, I don't know if we could've had a higher 1st for him, but assume that deal was done, would you trade Portis for Jackson/K. Jones & Grove. or better yet would you trade Portis for Vernon Carey and any one of Julius Jones, Tatum Bell, or Jake Grove.

All could've been possibilites and we wouldn't have even had to give up Taylor. Pretty sickening at this point if you ask me.

Archived