Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Offensive Coordinator would be best for our team?

RedskinGodfather

Pipe Dream of sorts, Nightmare in other ways: Mike Martz.

Pipe Dream in that he's a disciple of the Coryell/Gibbs offense, and has demonstrated the capacity to assemble and operate a top flight offense with various personnel. That last part is important - I really think Martz does an excellent job of knowing his players' strengths, then designing plays around those strengths. That, and 'conservative' play-calling, are things Gibbs has been criticized for, and Martz would help in those departments.

Nightmare: pretty obvious the guy is an egomaniac, and far from a 'players' coach,' as evidenced by the incident with Turley, the calling out of Chandler, etc. The guy is just a little off, and his personality, or at least his current one, doesn't seem like it would work with the other coaches the Redskins currently have.

This is what I would like to see but I know it won't happen. Ok, we already have Greg Williams on the defensive side. I would like to get someone on the offensive side the same caliber as Williams and have Joe oversee the whole operation. I just think he is perfect for that role.

Originally posted by bwall-2

People keep bringing up Martz,but what has he really done without Vermeil.Vermeil goes to KC and there offense takes off,while the Ram's offense takes a step back.

Actually it was the Rams offense in 2000, under Martz's first year, that was actually more productive then the one in 1999, which was Vermeil's last year there and their Super Bowl year.

I would love to have Martz or Gary Kubiak from Denver, because Kubiak would be able to utlizie Clinton Portis to his strengths, having coached him for two years and all.

Originally posted by Warhead36

Actually it was the Rams offense in 2000, under Martz's first year, that was actually more productive then the one in 1999, which was Vermeil's last year there and their Super Bowl year.

I would love to have Martz or Gary Kubiak from Denver, because Kubiak would be able to utlizie Clinton Portis to his strengths, having coached him for two years and all.

The Rams won the Superbowl in the 99-2000 year.If Gibbs is the coach we all think he is,he'll figure out how to utilize Portis.

I think the best plan would be to bring in a few different guys. This way, if the offense sputters for a few drives, we could get a different guy to install a new system and start calling plays. Think about it, running back by committe works for some teams, why wouldn't offensive coordinator by commitee work? I would try to get a few guys w/ totally different styles. Martz, Holmgren and the guy from Pittsburg would be a good start. Also, Charlie Weiss isn't coaching on Sunday, we could have him come in and call plays.

Either way Don Breaux needs to go. I don't know what he does, and I read that Gibbs calls the plays and oversees the offense, but his title is offensive coordinator, so he must be the problem. Also, he looks kind of old and grumpy. How do you expect someone who looks so grumpy on the sidelines to be a good coach? I guess Belichick is kind of grumpy looking, but he has Tom Brady, so whatever! What has Breaux done in this league other than win superbowls in exactly the same capacity under Gibbs?

In my Madden franchise, I switched from a "run-heavy" offensive strategy to "pass-balanced" and it did the trick (yesterday, I beat Philly 104-7), why wouldn't the same kind of switch work for the Skins? After all there is no cap on coaches!!!

Also, we need a real GM!!!

Gary Crowton, The Bears had the #1 Offense in 1999 under him and the #15 rank offense in 2000. Then left for BYU in 2001, and the Bears Offense has stunk it up since. Plus he is not with a team right now college or pro. the Skins can not get martz or saunders. Also Crowton could help Gibbs more so the Don Breaux could. I know i sound crazy but Vermil did not go anywhere till Martz came along and since Dick has had good offensive minded coaches around him. Same thing with Marty, remember Cam Camron becamse SD OC last year. Now Martyball is dead.

If not him somehow pry Russ Grimm from the Steelers which also won't happen.

I Also Agree, we need a real GM!!!

Originally posted by barry wilburn

I think the best plan would be to bring in a few different guys. This way, if the offense sputters for a few drives, we could get a different guy to install a new system and start calling plays. Think about it, running back by committe works for some teams, why wouldn't offensive coordinator by commitee work? I would try to get a few guys w/ totally different styles. Martz, Holmgren and the guy from Pittsburg would be a good start. Also, Charlie Weiss isn't coaching on Sunday, we could have him come in and call plays.

Either way Don Breaux needs to go. I don't know what he does, and I read that Gibbs calls the plays and oversees the offense, but his title is offensive coordinator, so he must be the problem. Also, he looks kind of old and grumpy. How do you expect someone who looks so grumpy on the sidelines to be a good coach? I guess Belichick is kind of grumpy looking, but he has Tom Brady, so whatever! What has Breaux done in this league other than win superbowls in exactly the same capacity under Gibbs?

In my Madden franchise, I switched from a "run-heavy" offensive strategy to "pass-balanced" and it did the trick (yesterday, I beat Philly 104-7), why wouldn't the same kind of switch work for the Skins? After all there is no cap on coaches!!!

Also, we need a real GM!!!

:laugh:

Classic!!! :rotflmao:

How about luring Dan Henning away from Carolina? He was with Gibbs during the first run ... Also, I really don't see Gibbs getting rid of Breaux, just maybe finding a different role for him. They have been friends and colleagues since Gibbs was coaching in College Football.

A simplified response is that our players are the problem not the coaches.

I don't think we need a new coordinator. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a young buck come in as an understudy and take over the job when Gibbs and Co. retire.

What we need is an Oline that can perform in this league. We need a QB that can play. In the San Fran game Gibbs called a run play and got six yards and a 1st down to enable us to run out the clock. San Fran knew a run was coming. Against Dallas he did the same thing. However, his players didn't excel and failed to block the Dallas D.

I want a talent evaluator. That is the pickup that I want. A GM, personnel director, or whatever you want to call the guy. Just someone who can evaluate talent in the draft and on other teams.

I have to say, this talk of adding an new offensive coordinator astounds me. Gibbs is the offensive coordinator. He brought back his staff, the people who worked with him during three world championship seasons, and he is going to sink or swim with the current crowd. As a hall of fame coach and bona fide offensive genius, you don't come out of 12 years of retirement to hire someone else to take over your bread and butter -- especially after one year of less than stellar results. Has anyone else watched the games? We have a center who is blown up on almost every play, a clumsy left guard, and a ***43-YEAR-OLD right tackle***.

Go back and watch some tape of the '91 season. I keep hearing comments like "Gibbs can't succeed in today's NFL with his bland conservative, counter trey running offense." The Gibbs offense of old was anything but conservative and bland. In '91, we had THREE 1000 yard receivers. The true Gibbs offense was about unpredictable motion and formation, big strikes down the field, a powerful running game and protection that yielded only NINE sacks over the entire '91 season!!!

Gibbs isn't going to hire an offensive coordinator. More importantly, it is the last thing in the world this team needs. If the discussion is about adding one or two new position coaches with ties to the modern game, fine. But throwing around names of current head coaches as coordinator candidates is absurd!

Originally posted by Mackydootz

Yeah...I posted on this similar topic earlier...How's

Gibbs as Head Coach

Williams as Def. Coord.

Spurrier as Off. Coord.

I like it...

It may seem a semantic difference to you, but Williams isn't our "defensive coordinator."

He's the "Assistant Head Coach - Defense" - a title higher than DC. Greg Blache is our "DC/Defensive Line Coach."

EDIT: Better link-

http://www.redskins.com/team/coachingstaff.jsp

*sigh*

Can't you guys figure this out? The problem is less the system or the play calling than it is the execution. The players have to execute what is drawn up in the game plan. It is that simple.

Did Don B drop the game winning TD catch in the endzone against NY?

Did Don B committ a false start in the redzone against the Eagles (pick your game here, it happened in both)?

Did Don B fumble twice against NY and once against the Browns?

Did Don B tip a pass that would have gone for a TD but instead went for an INT the day after Xmas in Dallas?

Did Don B miss a block against Pitt that allowed a pass rusher to hurry Ramsey and take away his space to step up that resulted in a short pass for an INT rather than a completion for the game winner?

The answer to all these questions is a resounding "no"! Until it is a yes, lets stop talking about a new OC and focus on where the rubber meets the road...players making plays when it matters. Ok?

Archived