Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reggie White Dies. :(

JeffSchmeff

Shocking...

I'm glad I looked into my sleep apnea problem. The sad thing is most people don't even know they have it and there are A LOT of people who have it. If your wife, roomate, etc ever says your a loud snorer or you wake up choking or gasping for air go see your Dr ASAP.

Sleep Apnea will eventually kill you if not treated.

http://www.sleepapnea.org/

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

Shocking...

I'm glad I looked into my sleep apnea problem. The sad thing is most people don't even know they have it and there are A LOT of people who have it. If your wife, roomate, etc ever says your a loud snorer or you wake up choking or gasping for air go see your Dr ASAP.

Sleep Apnea will eventually kill you if not treated.

http://www.sleepapnea.org/

do you use a bi-pap machine?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=360865

Eagles' Reggie White Dies at 43

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. Dec 26, 2004 — Reggie White, a fearsome defensive end for the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers who was one of the great players in NFL history, died Sunday, his wife said. He was 43.

The cause of death was not immediately known.

"Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away," White's wife, Sara, said in a statement through a family pastor. "His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy."

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and ordained minister who was known as the "Minister of Defense," White played a total of 15 years with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. He retired in 2000 as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

Eagles' Reggie White Dies at 43

Snake's bite keeps Denver's playoff hopes alive

McNabb Eyes Final Game and Playoffs

"Reggie White was a gentle warrior who will be remembered as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history," NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said. "Equally as impressive as his achievements on the field was the positive impact he made off the field and the way he served as a positive influence on so many young people."

A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was elected to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and 1998.

"As great a player as Reggie was, he was a better person, and it isn't close," Detroit Lions chief executive officer Matt Millen said. "Every life that Reggie touched is better for it."

After an All-American senior season at Tennessee, White began his pro career with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL in 1984. He joined the Philadelphia Eagles, who held his NFL rights, after the USFL folded in 1985. For eight years he was as an integral piece in Philadelphia's "Gang Green Defense."

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie called White "one of the greatest men ever to play the game of football" and said his "legacy on and off the football field will never be forgotten."

White then signed as a free agent with Green Bay in 1993 for $17 million over four years. His signing, along with a trade for quarterback Brett Favre, helped make the Packers champions again. He was the first major black player to sign with the Packers as a free agent.

His decision to choose the Packers was a surprise. While visiting various teams, he suggested he would prefer a major city, where he could minister to black youth.

"That's what changed the football fortunes of this franchise. It was huge," Packers president Bob Harlan said Sunday. "Everyone thought the last place he would sign was Green Bay and it was monumental because not only did he sign but he recruited for Green Bay and got guys like Sean Jones to come here. He sent a message to the rest of the NFL that Green Bay was a great place to play."

The Packers made consecutive Super Bowl appearances, including a win over New England in 1997, when White set a Super Bowl record with three sacks.

White worked tirelessly in the offseason with inner-city youths. But his image was tarnished when he gave a speech in which he denounced homosexuality and used ethnic stereotypes. White later apologized.

White was 39 when he finished his NFL career with Carolina his third retirement. He retired for one day before the 1998 season, but then said God had told him he needed to play again, and he returned to the Packers.

White retired again after the 1998 season and took a year off from football. After the Packers allowed him out of his contract, White returned to play for the Panthers.

"I will always miss the locker room and the guys, but I know God's will for me to move on to other challenges because it's not in me like it used to be," White said at the time.

White's last season was disappointing. He recorded a career-low 5.5 sacks with only 27 tackles. He didn't show the same pass-rushing skills that made him such a dominating force.

White spent eight years with the Eagles and six with the Packers before a final one with the Panthers. Remarkably durable, White missed only one game in his last 12 seasons and started all but three games during that span.

"Reggie's records and accomplishments say it all," George Seifert, who coached him on the Panthers, once said. "He is a Hall of Fame player and possibly the best defensive lineman ever to play the game."

The A.L. Jinwright Funeral Service in Charlotte is handling arrangements.

I'm sad to see him go. He was a great player.

A truly sad day in the entire NFL. A great Man as well as a great football player.

I think back to 1992 when he was a free agent. If Joe Gibbs had NOT retired after that season, I sincerely believe that he would have been wearing Burgundy and Gold. He and Joe Gibbs had talked a few times before and they were of the same mindset when it comes to their faith.

Rest in Peace, Rev. Reggie White

A very sad day not only in Philadelphia and Green Bay, but around the league as well.

R.I.P Number 92........

I have a cool story to tell about Reggie. When I was 11 or 12, my father used to take me to this barbershop in Sharon Hill. It was just starting out. About 3 months going into its exiatence, word spread out that it offered the best shape ups in Philly. About 3 weeks later, Byron Evans, Keith Byars, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner and Reggie White were coming down to the location to get their hair cuts. On several times, they would take to me about school, their season, and general life stuff with my father.

Anyways, I got suspended from school for a fight and wasn't allowed to get my haircut for a month. When I finally came back to the shop, all of the guys were happy to see me, but they were disappointed in me for my actions. Reggie was more than anyone else. He sat and talked with me for about an hour and preached to me about the importance of getting a good education and making sure that I don't allow stupidity to cloud my judgement.

He told me that I was a child of God, therefore i was better than what I was showing not only my parents, but "the guys" as well. Later that year, the Eagles won their first NFC East title but lost in the infamous Fog Bowl.

For Christmas, they sent me an autograph Lithograph of their win against the Skins.....(you guys know it was to piss my mom off!) Reggie signed it......"To Kenny, remember what I told you and pass it someday to your own sons and daughters." My 8 year old son now has that lithograph and if I wasn't at work right now.....I would hold my child and tell him the story of the Minster who saved his father's life.

Originally posted by bubba9497

do you use a bi-pap machine?

No, I use a regular CPAP machine. The BiPAP is for people who have a hard time breathing under the air pressure of a regular CPAP machine which means you already have some serious medical problems because the air pressure of the regular CPAP is nothing IMO. It feels like a fan is blowing right in your face. That's it. It does take some getting use to but when you do it makes a world of difference in the quality of your sleep. I feel like running a 5k after I wake up now.

On a Funny Note: Ever since I've started using it I've had several dreams that I am a fighter pilot in dog fights and shooting down enemy fighters. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh:

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

No, I use a regular CPAP machine. The BiPAP is for people who have a hard time breathing under the air pressure of a regular CPAP machine which means you already have some serious medical problems because the air pressure of the regular CPAP is nothing IMO. It feels like a fan is blowing right in your face. That's it. It does take some getting use to but when you do it makes a world of difference in the quality of your sleep. I feel like running a 5k after I wake up now.

On a Funny Note: Ever since I've started using it I've had several dreams that I am a fighter pilot in dog fights and shooting down enemy fighters. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh:

My wife started using a CPAP recently. She's already off of her blood pressure medication and has lost 20 lbs. It's made an amazing difference for her in how she feels each day. And I sleep much better now too!

Too many people think snoring isn't a big deal. Look up sleep apnea and if you have symptoms, you should get a sleep study done. And if they recommend a CPAP, use it. The day to day difference it makes is amazing, and the health benefits of it can save your life.

Archived