Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Broncos on the wrong side of a blowout

SkinsNatsFan

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3261090

Broncos on the wrong side of a blowout

Doug Tucker / Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - After three straight wins, the Kansas City Chiefs have to be careful not to pout about what might have been. "What might have been was the 13-3 (record of) last year," said fullback Tony Richards. "But the thing that matters most is we're starting to come into our own."

Taking advantage of numerous Denver mistakes, the Chiefs (6-8) romped to a 45-17 victory Sunday, knocking the Broncos (8-6) at least temporarily out of a tie with Baltimore for the last AFC wild-card spot.

The Broncos, who have lost three of their last four, committed 100 yards in penalties. They also let Jake Plummer get sacked six times and generally looked nothing like playoff contenders.

"This game was not a fun game," said Plummer, whose two interceptions both led to Kansas City touchdowns. "It was a bad day."

Larry Johnson and Eddie Kennison each scored two touchdowns and Dante Hall returned the opening kickoff 97 yards for another score for the Chiefs, who dropped out of playoff contention with a four-game losing streak in November.

The Chiefs scored on four of their first five possessions en route to their biggest margin of victory in the long series since a 31-point win in 1983.

"It was a Kansas City Chief day," said coach Dick Vermeil. "We had a lot of things go our way."

Kansas City's third and sixth touchdowns came off Dexter McCleon's interceptions of Plummer, who was fined $5,000 last week for making an obscene gesture to a fan in Denver.

"We were trying too hard," said Denver defensive back John Lynch. "We had missed assignments and fell apart."

Plummer has eight interceptions and only one touchdown pass in his last three games. He was 23-for-41 for 292 yards.

"This team does not give up," Plummer said. "We will not give up. We should be producing more."

Typical of Denver's day was a fourth-quarter play when Tatum Bell took a screen pass and went 58 yards before Greg Wesley punched the ball out of his hands at the 5. The ball went into the end zone and out of bounds, making it a touchback and giving Kansas City possession on the 20.

"We're going to have to do something about that," said Denver coach Mike Shanahan. "He gets the ball inside the 5-yard line and somebody shoots him from the stands."

Johnson, the second-year running back who spent most of the year in Vermeil's doghouse, had 151 yards on 30 carries, including touchdown runs of 5 and 32 yards. Finally getting a chance to showcase his skills, the former first-round draft pick has gone over 100 yards in each of his last three games and scored five TDs.

Trent Green completed 16 of 19 passes for 224 yards and three touchdowns. He had touchdown tosses of 7 and 18 yards to Kennison, who beat star cornerback Champ Bailey each time.

Kennison's second TD capped a 10-play, 99-yard drive that included penalties against Bailey for illegal use of hands and Al Wilson for roughing the passer.

Rookie Samie Parker, making his first start, got behind the Denver defense for a 48-yard catch-and-run in the third period that put Kansas City on top 35-10.

It took Hall just 13 seconds to put the Chiefs on top. Taking the opening kickoff on the 3, he went right, cut left and found a clear path down the left side, going the distance virtually untouched for his second kickoff return TD of the year.

"I think you should go talk to (the blockers) because all I had to do was run," Hall said. "I didn't even get touched."

Plummer threw the ball right to McCleon in the second period and the Chiefs corner returned it 22 yards. Six plays later, Kennison beat Bailey in the end zone for a 7-yard TD catch and a 21-7 lead.

"I just missed my man," said Plummer. "It is something that can't happen. But it did."

Johnson made it 28-7 when he appeared to catch the Denver secondary out of position and went through a big hole up the middle for his 32-yard TD.

Plummer hit Rod Smith on a 22-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and Jason Elam's 27-yard field goal cut the lead to 28-10 with 4 seconds left in the half

Originally posted by skinsnatsfan

Reduced from "shut down" to "star"

anyone else think they'll try to dump him in the offseason or even eventually? Just a flyer thought. Go after Charles Woodson, dump Bailey to San Diego or Oakland. If he keeps going down in level of play, they can't keep him for long. He will destroy their cap number.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

anyone else think they'll try to dump him in the offseason or even eventually? Just a flyer thought. Go after Charles Woodson, dump Bailey to San Diego or Oakland. If he keeps going down in level of play, they can't keep him for long. He will destroy their cap number.

You can't "dump players" overnight, after you have given them $15-20 million signing bonuses! The cap hit would be ridiculous. :doh:

We can't even dump Brunell next year and we only gave him $8.6 million. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Akhhorus

What do you have against San Diego?

I seriously want to see the "who got the better end of the deal" talks revisted in the national media now that Bailey is being beaten weekly, and Portis is on his way to a record 1,500 yards AND the Redskins have the #2 (#1 after this week?) Defense. Now way you can argue that the Broncos got the better side.

Originally posted by Sebowski

What do you have against San Diego?

I seriously want to see the "who got the better end of the deal" talks revisted in the national media now that Bailey is being beaten weekly, and Portis is on his way to a record 1,500 yards AND the Redskins have the #2 (#1 after this week?) Defense. Now way you can argue that the Broncos got the better side.

Never gonna happen. The media will never admit it. What's likely to happen is Champ will be voted into the ProBowl again based on past performance and Clinton will not get in and the media will once again talk about how Denver got the better end of the deal.

At least we know the truth, and have always known it.

:D

As much as I would like to blast Bailey for finally showing the world he is less of a player than he thinks he is, I have to admit the NFL rules are making it almost impossible for him to do his job. The stupid contact rule isn't being enforced correctly; they are going to have to revisit that thing. If the are not going to call offensive interference more often, that rule emphasis is only going to further handicap DB's. It makes me even more appreciative of Springs, but look at all the bad calls against Smoot for IC. It's just awful. Darrell Green would look average under these rules.going to further handicap DB's. It makes me even more prreciative of Springs, but look at all the bad calls against smoot for IC. It's just awful. Darrell Green would look average under these rules.

So far this year, the #1 receivers have gained a total of 945 yards against the broncos, last year, Champ only gave up around 750 on #1 receivers, on the whole year. The drop off is obvious, not sure why it is, maybe he need time to get used to the WR tendancies of the AFC WRs, or maybe he himself has dropped off some, but with 2 games still left, champ may have is worst season this year.

Ok, that is 7 TDs that we know of he has let up. How many have Springs and Smoot let up? Look, the media hyped up Champ because he went to Denver. It went to Champ's head. This is going to make it harder for teams to retain CBs since all the player has to do is compare his play to Bailey's. I don't even think he is playing at the All-Pro level, so no more "shut down" or best CB in the NFL. He is not that good

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

As much as I would like to blast Bailey for finally showing the world he is less of a player than he thinks he is, I have to admit the NFL rules are making it almost impossible for him to do his job. The stupid contact rule isn't being enforced correctly; they are going to have to revisit that thing. If the are not going to call offensive interference more often, that rule emphasis is only going to further handicap DB's. It makes me even more appreciative of Springs, but look at all the bad calls against Smoot for IC. It's just awful. Darrell Green would look average under these rules.going to further handicap DB's. It makes me even more prreciative of Springs, but look at all the bad calls against smoot for IC. It's just awful. Darrell Green would look average under these rules.

Then why do Springs and Smoot look OUTSTANDING under these rules?

Bronco's Fans see the light ROFL..

Yes I am bashing Roland Bailey..

Quotes from broncos Forums

"Yeah, but everytime they do pick on Champ they kick his ass..."

"2. Jaguars game. Not nessecarily burnt but gave up a lot of yards to Jimmy Smith. Note that Champ didn't cover him well."

" don't know what the big deal is. Champs playing well, (maybe not 63 million well, but...)"

"

I'm not saying he should be traded, or benched. Yes I want people tos top kissing his @$$. For 63 Mill or whatever he's making, you don't get burned for 2 TDs or get burned for a pass that sets up a TD by a nobody. Even in the snow. If you are getting paid 63 Million bucks you don't get burned for 2 TDs against the Bengals. Yes people challenge Brown more but still don't you think Champ should stop getting burned so much?"

"If you want to bench anyone bench Champ for a few series and put your foot in his rear."

"was dissapointed that we didnt see none of the champ bailey crap on offense.. champ didnt shut down a danm thing today"

"Oh, and another thing, I hate to bag on Shanahan, but Champ Bailey sucks. Portis was worth a lot more to the team than Champ has been."

"have watched our two corners get burned time after time this year. Bailey performed great the first game but since we played the Bengals, Champ has been a Chump against Chad Johnson, Jerry Porter and now Eddie Kennison"

:laugh:

http://216.58.161.130/forums/search.php?searchid=20919

Still funny reading those posts. They're seeing a lot of the things seen here, then some people are blaming it on the D-Line just like here, etcetera. Chump is overrated. He didn't get any praise until he was traded to Denver and now people are seeing that. The media was so intent on making it look like Denver got such a steal that they still didn't want to admit they were wrong on Chump.

Another post said he needed to adjust to the rules being enforced more stringently. Mm hm. Keep thinking that. If he's so great, why is he having so much more trouble than other CB's, including the ones we have here?

Nick

It was the Safety's fault. Bailey had to cover for him. Err... no. I take that back. I mean the line couldn't get to the QB in time. No, wait. I mean Eddie Kennison pushed off. Had to be. That kind of stuff never happens to the mighty #24... ;)

Nick

Edit: Was that second pick taken after Chump did his patented hand smack?

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

Finally people see the light "Champ is not a shutdown corner"

Agree, but there is one problem. Everytime, Champ makes a routine play, it will be amplified like it was the greatest play in the world. I just hope they are not on national TV anymore so I don't have to listen to the sportscasters kissing his a##

These are the same rules that have always been there, they are now just enforcing them the way they used to 10 yrs ago.

have to disagree with the D Green part. D Green had speed. he didnt interrupt alot of routes by being physical at the line of scrimmage- he did his thing with closing speed. the new rules probably dont benefit the bigger CB who arent quite as fast, so champ has that to deal with, but, afparent said it best- springs and smoot are having pro bowl years doing a better job of covering pro bowl WR's (owens for one) infinitely better than champ is doing covering second tier to average WR's (porter, kennison, c. johnson).

Archived