Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs will "OPEN" it up on Sunday.....

skinsfan93

All season long, Gibbs has used a short to medium range passing game, even when we were down. There has only been a few times, if any, each game where we truly took shots downfield.

This is true when either Brunell or Ramsey has started. Why? Well I think all season long, Gibbs wanted to see his QB and his offense sustain drives. He wants to see his team put together those "back breaking, 10 minute "eat up the clock" types of drives. An offense that can win Superbowls.

Look at the Gibbs' teams of old. They had the quick strike offense when needed, but could also win the time of possession game by running the ball effectively and throwing the short passes to "move the chains". How many times did Riggins grind it out for the first or how many times did you see Monk catch the ball on the sidelines right in front of the first down marker?

Up until Sunday, neither QB was able to do this and that includes Ramsey. I think Gibbs saw Ramsey a little like Schroeder of the past. Someone who can "chuck" it, but not someone who can move the chains consistently by not turning it over and throwing the high percentage passes. I think that's why Gibbs started Brunell.

Well Mr. Ramsey finally showed some of that ability on Sunday. He "reined in his gunslinger tendiencies" and made some good throws. He still could have read the defense a little better and gotten rid of the ball a little sooner, but overall he did do a very good job.

I think Ramsey finally showed Gibbs that he can perform under his system, which is why Gibbs praised him this week while keeping his praises to a minimum in other weeks. By the way, I think this is what Bugel was referring to when he challenged Ramsey about practicing. He wanted to see Ramsey get out of that gunsligher mindset.

So with that all being said, I think Gibbs will really open it up on Sunday. I think we will see the 20 yard completions along with a few deep bombs during the game. It wouldn't surprise me to see a bomb on the first play. Gibbs will run it, but I think we will see the Gibbs' teams of old.....the ones that put a lot of points on the board!!!!

I believe you will see a little more progression each week. I also believe that during practice, Gibbs sees what works and what doesn't and isn't the type of coach to just throw it downfield in a game until all aspects of the passing game are fundamentally sound.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

I just want us to run the ball straight down their throats. This is the one matchup where I wish we would stick to smashmouth.

We'll open it up against the 49ers and Cowgirls.

You can't always run it "down their throats" when you go up against the great teams in the league. By combining the running game with a downfield passing game, you can be successful against a team like the Eagles.

Let's face it...we just played them a couple of weeks ago and all we did was throw the wr screen and the short passes. This is what they will expect from us.

I think you'll see Gibbs, the mad scientist, put together an awesome game plan!

I think that running the ball is the best plan... We have won every game where portis runs for 100+ yd games, and have lost every other one. I think with a quick-high point scoring team like philly, that we need to control the clock by just running it down their throats. By controlling the clock, we will give our Defense a rest, which makes them more effective against McNabb and his receivers. Don't forget that they just lost one of their better rush defenders off the line!!!

Originally posted by skinsfan93

You can't always run it "down their throats" when you go up against the great teams in the league. By combining the running game with a downfield passing game, you can be successful against a team like the Eagles.

Let's face it...we just played them a couple of weeks ago and all we did was throw the wr screen and the short passes. This is what they will expect from us.

I think you'll see Gibbs, the mad scientist, put together an awesome game plan!

I believe that the successful teams in thel league have an "identity" that defines their success. If smashmouth football is your team's identiy, then you stick with it.

I think that your playing into Philly's hands by trying to take deep shots all over the field. I believe that Gibbs should take "some" shots down the field, but the basis of the offensive attack should be the running game. This game should be all about setting a tempo and playing ball control, which will could wear down Philly's high octane offense and keep it off of the football field.

Over the past couple of games Gibbs has come up with some beautiful plays. The problem has been the execution of them.

Last Sunday I saw great execution of some very good play calling especially the shoval pass that close to the goalline. The WR screen, and the short passing game just enough for the 1st.

I would expect some different plays again this week. Forget about the fact we beat the giants. Its how we beat them, something here something there a vary wide variety of plays that kept them guessing and it will be same against the Eagles. If the skins can get on top early, and drag out the drives, the eagles will be in trouble. Its the dink and dunk, run here and there that sucks the clock dry keeps our defense fresh. If our defense gets the chance to pin its ears back with us getting a couple of scores its lights out for Philly. Gibbs has used the sidelines to gain yardage with those screens and quick passes which tends to draw the defense out then hits the run in the middle and grabs another couple of yards. Defenses are going to have to start guessing inside, outside, short routes and that makes first downs causing them to creep and up and someone is going to get burned on a long one with a fake to the outside and a bomb down field.

My 2cents.

Originally posted by skinsfan93

You're kidding, right? Johnson is one of the best D-coordinators in the game. If you think he is going to base his entire defensive game plan on what the Redskins did 3 weeks ago, you're going to be in for a disappointment.

You can expect him to use his 3 DT set, mixed with some run blitzes against Portis. The blitzes and slants worked three weeks ago and the 3 DT scheme completely shut down GB last week. Since Pittsburgh, and now with Trotter back in the middle, the Eagles are playing a much more physical style of defense.

Anyways, it's going to be fun to watch. :)

Originally posted by budski

Over the past couple of games Gibbs has come up with some beautiful plays. The problem has been the execution of them.

Last Sunday I saw great execution of some very good play calling especially the shoval pass that close to the goalline. The WR screen, and the short passing game just enough for the 1st.

I would expect some different plays again this week. Forget about the fact we beat the giants. Its how we beat them, something here something there a vary wide variety of plays that kept them guessing and it will be same against the Eagles. If the skins can get on top early, and drag out the drives, the eagles will be in trouble. Its the dink and dunk, run here and there that sucks the clock dry keeps our defense fresh. If our defense gets the chance to pin its ears back with us getting a couple of scores its lights out for Philly. Gibbs has used the sidelines to gain yardage with those screens and quick passes which tends to draw the defense out then hits the run in the middle and grabs another couple of yards. Defenses are going to have to start guessing inside, outside, short routes and that makes first downs causing them to creep and up and someone is going to get burned on a long one with a fake to the outside and a bomb down field.

My 2cents.

Not so much different plays, but plays with different wrinkles and out of different formations so they're not recoginized by the defense.

I'd like to see more spread formations this week.

Originally posted by Blazers21

You're kidding, right? Johnson is one of the best D-coordinators in the game. If you think he is going to base his entire defensive game plan on what the Redskins did 3 weeks ago, you're going to be in for a disappointment.

You can expect him to use his 3 DT set, mixed with some run blitzes against Portis. The blitzes and slants worked three weeks ago and the 3 DT scheme completely shut down GB last week. Since Pittsburgh, and now with Trotter back in the middle, the Eagles are playing a much more physical style of defense.

Anyways, it's going to be fun to watch. :)

how do you beat 3 DTs with blitzing LBs? sweeps and draws?

Originally posted by pez

I think that running the ball is the best plan... We have won every game where portis runs for 100+ yd games, and have lost every other one. I think with a quick-high point scoring team like philly, that we need to control the clock by just running it down their throats. By controlling the clock, we will give our Defense a rest, which makes them more effective against McNabb and his receivers. Don't forget that they just lost one of their better rush defenders off the line!!!

Hey, who are we to say what game plan should be used, right?

But if we follow your scheme, what if we fall behind by 10 pts or so? Then we have to throw the ball to catch up. Rather, what if we take a lead early in the game? Then we can run the ball, control the clock and keep the Eagles offense off the field.

That's why I think Gibbs may throw and throw early to get on top quickly. Jim Johnson is a great D coordinator, but just about every team at this point knows we are going to run the ball. Let's come out quickly and make them adjust to what we are doing.

...I think Gibbs may throw and throw early to get on top quickly. Jim Johnson is a great D coordinator, but just about every team at this point knows we are going to run the ball. Let's come out quickly and make them adjust to what we are doing.

Right! Because that worked against Cincinnati!

This is the type of game where if the Eagles win the opening coin toss and receive, we'll onside kick.

Blazers, I have a lot of respect for Johnson as your DC. I'm thinking that Gibbs is going to put a few wrinkles into the offense too. Last time he put in a game plan for Ramsey that had training wheels on it. Frankly Ramsey probably needed that in a first start against a top team on the road.

But Patrick looks a lot more comfortable and technically this is a must-win for the team to have any playoff hopes, so I think we're going to see some creative, aggressive play calling.

Originally posted by B&G

It should be a rule that Clinton Portis gets at least 25 carries every game. He's the kind of player, like Barry Sanders, who can be totally stopped for three quarters and then run for 150 yds in the fourth.

I think this mentality is almost funny. When we run over 100 yards we win... not because we ran 30 times... but because we COULD run over 100 yards. The games we have lost, we lost because the running game was shut down and we had NO passing game to lean on. What good does runing 25 times do us, if the run only gains on average 2-3 yards per carry? 3 and outs get us no where.

Against the giants was the first sign of life in our passing game.. it was short, but oh soo sweet. Why.. because it could be counted on when the run failed. When you have that in passing, then you can afford to run, even when the run doesn't assure you 4-6 yards 90% of the time. We are finally getting there, but I'm reserved to think we are all the way there.

As far as identy... Can we honestly say we are a run the ball smash-mouth offense yet? It's what we want to be, it's what the league expects us to be, but when we only have 4 games with over 100 yards rushing.. can you truely say we are?

But expectations can be fun to mess with. The league.. and most importantly the Eagles EXPECT us to run the ball. That's what we are SUPPOSE to do. But if we can use that to our advantage, and possible shake up their defense from the get go.. imagine what that may do to help get our offense off on the right foot and get their defensive game plan all screwed up!

So I would love to see this... Stick Portis in the back field and give them exactly the look they are expecting.. but then do a play action pass on our very first play. Let them gun for Portis like they are going to want to do. Let them try and proclaim dominace on that line, meanwhile, sneak it out the back door with Ramsey.

If it works for at least 6 yards... go for a deep ball on the second play. Hit or miss, the Eagles DC will be scratching his head wondering what drugs Gibbs is on. Then, as long as we are third and short, second and long, or 1st and 10.. then let Portis stuff it down their throats.

To come out running, we are basically proclaiming to Philly to try it's best to stop us... and as bad as I wish this team could do that, I just don't believe our line can handle it yet. But to knock them on their heels for just a second, may do just enough for us to proclaim.. we may not be smash-mouth YET.. but you better bet you A** we are getting there.

I would love to see more of those sustained long drives. They demoralize a defense. They had 2 of +90 yards on Sunday. They even had 2 big penalities on one of them.

I prefer good field position, but boy the confidence those drives inspire in the coaches, backs, line, and quarterback.

Archived