Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't Plan On Seeing McCants

Barney B

Don't plan on seeing McCants starting anytime soon.

McCants doesn't like to practice, and doesn't give much effort during practice. He's admitted as much to the media. So it seems real unlikely that Gibbs is gonna let him start at wide receiver any time soon unless this changes.

As Jacoby said: you can't start a guy like that. If you do, then suddenly you've got a whole bunch of starters who don't like to practice.

Gibbs respects this team's work ethic, and he's not gonna blow it up over one guy.

Sorry

:(

That's what we heard about Patrick a week before he got put in.

Hopefully, Patrick or SOMEBODY, can get into this kid's head and get him going. I think he's part of the solution.............but as usual...........IN GIBBS I TRUST!

Originally posted by HittinSkinz

i dont get how a kid like mcants wouldnt like to practice.. so much promise... but just beyond me.. .why you wouldnt wanna put in the time

No one, including McCants himself, has ever said that Darnerian doesn't LIKE to practice. He only said that he's not a great practice player...in other words, he tends to make big plays in games, but can't seem to make them in practice. It has nothing to do with desire or work ethic, though.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

No one, including McCants himself, has ever said that Darnerian doesn't LIKE to practice...

It has nothing to do with desire or work ethic, though.

Jacoby said it, today, on WTEM after the game.

Rich Tandler

http://nflhistory.net/redskins/

also said it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_320538_71&prov=citadel&type=story

"Due to an inability to play special teams (the public reason) and poor practice habits (the private reason), McCants was active for just one game until Sunday. " :(

then why did the team extend a guy's contract for 3 years when the evidence of his poor practice habits and attitude was there for all to see? :)

you can't have it both ways. either McCants has talent and deserves a shot to show what he can do or the team made a $2 million dollar mistake in retaining his services.

You don't give what is now a #4 receiver a $2 million bonus :)

Originally posted by bulldog

then why did the team extend a guy's contract for 3 years when the evidence of his poor practice habits and attitude was there for all to see? :)

you can't have it both ways. either McCants has talent and deserves a shot to show what he can do or the team made a $2 million dollar mistake in retaining his services.

You don't give what is now a #4 receiver a $2 million bonus :)

I agree, completely.

Anybody out there have Bobby Beathard's phone number? ;)

Originally posted by The Chief

I agree, completely.

Anybody out there have Bobby Beathard's phone number? ;)

yea, maybe Beatherd can draft us another Ryan Leaf;)

I would like to see Beatherd or Ron Wolf helping Gibbs out on that front and maybe a younger offensive coach to join the staff.

Leaf was a college player. high picks are high risk especially at quarterback as we saw with Shuler.

McCants and other current roster candidates already have NFL resumes, films on their performances and anecdotes of the NFL assistants to give you a pretty good idea of what the guy can do in this league.

Not a fair comparison.

Jacoby said it, today, on WTEM after the game.

Rich Tandler

http://nflhistory.net/redskins/

also said it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_320538_71&prov=citadel&type=story

"Due to an inability to play special teams (the public reason) and poor practice habits (the private reason), McCants was active for just one game until Sunday. " :(

My point was in response to your premise that "McCants doesn't like to practice, and doesn't give much effort during practice. He's admitted as much to the media." I don't believe McCants has ever made this admission as you suggest. There's a big difference between not being a great practice player and not giving EFFORT in practice.

I think a lot of people are making a leap here that just because Darnerian says he doesn't perform well in practice that it means he's not giving full effort in practice. Without factual confirmation that he tanks it in practice, I'm not going to buy these assumptions.

We went through the same thing with Ramsey under Spurrier. Spurrier didn't think Ramsey performed well enough in practice, so he was hesitant to put him into games. But when he finally gave Patrick a chance, he showed that he could play. But Ramsey's lack of playing time had nothing to do with him "loafing" in practice...he just didn't show much.

Originally posted by bulldog

Leaf was a college player. high picks are high risk especially at quarterback as we saw with Shuler.

McCants and other current roster candidates already have NFL resumes, films on their performances and anecdotes of the NFL assistants to give you a pretty good idea of what the guy can do in this league.

Not a fair comparison.

I was kidding, hence the ;)

But I don't think re-signing McCants was a mistake at all - I think it is/was a matter of him not doing things the way they (staff) like in practice, so he hasn't been playing.

My mistake.

I thought you said this:

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

No one, including McCants himself, has ever said that Darnerian doesn't LIKE to practice...

;)

I agree that Darnerian said words to the effect that he's "not a practice player". I suppose that we just disagree on the meaning of those words. I mean, how often do players come out and admit that they're not hard workers?

I agree that Darnerian said words to the effect that he's "not a practice player". I suppose that we just disagree on the meaning of those words. I mean, how often do players come out and admit that they're not hard workers?

Yep, I think we disagree on the meaning there. Some guys make big plays in games, some make big plays in practice. Remember when Thrash first came on board with the Skins in his first stint here? They called him 1-a-day because he made at least one spectacular play every day in practice. That only translated to mild success for Thrash on Sundays, though.

That doesn't mean Thrash didn't take the games seriously...it just means he performed better in practice. In Darnerian's case, the exact opposite is true. And likewise, it doesn't mean he doesn't take practice seriously.

And when I said before that no one has suggested Darnerian doesn't try hard in practice, I was referring to people within the organization. Because when you start going by the opinions of people outside the organization...well...you know what they say about opinions.

Archived