Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ART, KILmer17 and REDSKIN Fans get your facts straight before you dog Quincy Carter

Qcard

There is wide speculation on this board that Quincy Carter would not have started at Georgia this past season. Well I have posted an article and a link that totalyy dispelled this idea. Quincy Carter's coach assured Carter that he would be the starter going into spring practice. It is also evident Quincy Carter would have kept his starting position(when Healthy) because of his experience and early success.

p.s. WHAT DID THE GREAT QBS( JR-CORY PHILLIPS AND FR. DAVID GREENE) WHOM WERE SUPPOSED TO UNSEAT QUINCY CARTER DO THIS PAST SEASON IN THE SEC. I THOUGHT SO, NOTHING!!!!

Important parts in BOLD

http://www.augustasports.com/stories/011001/col_124-7782.shtml

Carter to enter NFL draft

Web posted Wednesday, January 10, 2001

Have a thought? Go to the @ugusta Forums

Read the press release

By Josh Kendall

Morris News Service

ATHENS, Ga. - Quarterback Quincy Carter announced Tuesday that he will forfeit his final year of collegiate eligibility at Georgia and enter the NFL Draft.

``It was a difficult decision to make,'' Carter said in a statement released by the university. ``There are so many factors to weigh, and you cannot predict what the future will hold either by staying or going. However, after seeking a lot of advice and meeting with my family, I've decided to continue my career in the NFL.

``I'd like to thank all the individuals associated with the University of Georgia football program. I've learned so much from my college experience, not only about football but about life,'' he said.

Carter was not available for further comment. When contacted at her Atlanta-area home, Sherry Carter-Embree, his mother, said the 23-year-old quarterback was out of town Tuesday evening. She would not comment on his decision, but she did say she and Carter would set up a news conference in the future.

``We don't have a date for that at this time,'' she said. ``We will have a comment at that time.''

Carter informed first-year Georgia coach Mark Richt of his decision with a telephone call Monday night shortly after the pair met for an hour to discuss the quarterback's future.

``I think he was pretty close to making his decision (before the first meeting), but he did want to speak to me before he finally decided what he wanted to do,'' Richt said. ``I just wished him well. I really want what's best for him. If he believes that's what's best for him, then I wish him well.''

Richt said he told Carter during their Monday meeting that he would be Georgia's starting quarterback entering spring practice, but Richt also made it clear he didn't want to have to talk Carter into staying.

``He asked if he'd be the starter,'' Richt said. ``I said, `You'll start out as the No. 1 quarterback, and I'll do everything in my power to help you succeed.' If Quincy came back and he wasn't the starter, that wouldn't have been fair to him. He would have been the starter going in.

``The big question I think in his mind was, how quickly could it all come together for him to have the kind of success he wanted to have?''

The success Carter will have in the NFL Draft is also a question mark. The draft will be held April 21-22 in New York, and the deadline for underclassmen to apply is Friday.

Frank Coyle, a professional draft analyst who works with CBS Sportsline, said Tuesday that Carter could be a first-round pick. However, Joel Buchsbaum, a widely respected scout who works for Pro Football Weekly, said Carter's decision was ``a very stupid move.''

This year's draft is projected to be very thin at quarterback. Coyle said Carter probably will be the second quarterback taken, behind only Purdue's Drew Brees, if Michael Vick stays at Virginia Tech.

``If I was a team and I needed a quarterback, and I was at the end of the first round, I'd be all over him,'' said Coyle, who operates the Web site www.draftinsiders.com. ``There are guys like Bubby Brister and Gus Frerotte starting in the NFL. How could the Atlanta Falcons (with their pick) early in Round 2 not take him.''

However, Coyle acknowledged he was surprised by Carter's decision based on his disappointing season this year.

``Between a real poor start and injuries, I thought he would go back for another year. He made a lot of poor throws and bad interceptions early in the season,'' Coyle said. ``I think Quincy is a kid who has all the tools you want in a pro quarterback, but he hasn't put it all together yet for a variety of reasons.''

Coyle said Carter greatly can improve his value with a good showing at the NFL combine in March or in an individual workout with a team.

``I think Quincy Carter is a Randall Cunningham-type of player,'' Coyle said. ``He probably wants to have a big March workout. If he has a big March workout, I don't rule out him being the first quarterback taken. He's just got too much athletic ability, and I would expect him, because he's the athlete he is, to really light it up in March.''

Buchsbaum doesn't think even a great workout will help Carter's status. He said Carter might not be drafted at all.

``I thought it was a very stupid move on his part after the year he had,'' he said. ``He's a late-round pick or a free agent.''

Asked what he thought Carter's deficiencies were, Buchsbaum replied, ``maturity, accuracy, reading coverages, consistency of play.''

ESPN's Mel Kiper couldn't be reached for comment, but he has Carter listed as the sixth-best pro prospect among this year's junior quarterbacks.

Richt said he explored Carter's draft status but declined to discuss the specifics of what he learned.

Asked whether he thought Carter made a good decision, Richt said, ``I don't know. Time will tell. He's definitely a talented football player. It sounds like he's going to be a draft pick and get his opportunity. That's all you can hope for coming out of college.''

Carter went to Athens, Ga., with more fanfare than any player since Eric Zeier, and he started with two strong years. He was the SEC Freshman of the Year in 1998 after breaking most of Zeier's freshman passing records, and he threw for 2,713 yards and 17 touchdowns in 1999.

However, this season was a disappointment for Carter. The 6-foot-3, 218-pounder missed five games due to injury, the most serious being a torn ligament in his right thumb that cost him the final four games of the season. He finished the year 91 of 183 passing for 1,250 yards and threw 10 interceptions vs. just six touchdowns. His final pass as a Bulldog was the fourth-quarter interception that sealed Georgia's loss to Florida on Oct. 28.

Still, he led Georgia in total offense in each of his three seasons. He's second in Bulldog history in career pass attempts (853), completions (483), offensive plays (1,104) and total offense (7,053 yards). He finishes his collegiate career ranked in the top 20 in SEC history in offensive plays (20th with 1,104), passing yardage (11th with 6,447), completions (19th with 483) and total offense (11th with 7,053).

Carter was 1-7 in his three years against three of the Bulldogs' biggest rivals - Florida, Tennessee and Georgia Tech.

``It's tough to lose a guy with that much experience who has played that well throughout his career, but sometimes you lose a guy because he foregoes his senior year. Sometimes you lose a guy because he gets hurt. There's a lot of reasons why you lose players but that's just part of football,'' Richt said. ``When you lose players, someone has to step up.''

Carter's departure leaves the quarterback job open for next season. Rising junior Cory Phillips and freshman David Greene are the top two candidates to fill the position.

Q, as I wrote and will paste the relevant reply, you've just proved the point everyone has ever made about Carter.

Q, I think you just validated the point that Carter was not a sure bet to be the starter at Georgia had he returned. In fact, you highlighted the quote that proves it. "''He asked if he'd be the starter,'' Richt said. ''I said, 'You'll start out as the No. 1 quarterback, and I'll do everything in my power to help you succeed.' If Quincy came back and he wasn't the starter, that wouldn't have been fair to him. He would have been the starter going in."

First, Carter knew there was a question about whether he'd even start at Georgia. This is why Carter went to the coach and said asked if he would be the starter. That's proof enough. Further, all the coach said was that Carter would have started out as the starter at quarterback. He wasn't sure to be the starting QB however.

Are you really so blind that you don't even see this actually verifies EXACTLY what everyone has LONG said about Carter? He wasn't a sure bet to start at Georgia. Everyone knew it. Everyone knew it including Carter who had to ask the coach about it. And the coach didn't say, "You're my guy, Q." He said, "You'll start out my guy, sure." These are very, very, very, very different things.

Yet, here you post so outraged at the suggestion that there was a question as to whether Carter would even be the starter at Georgia DESPITE THE FACT THAT CARTER HIMSELF ASKED THE VERY SAME QUESTION. Holy moly, talk about talking and proving yourself out of a debate guy. Sheesh.

Q,

Why is it so important to gain this board's approval on Quincy Carter, and the Cowboy's QB status in general?

You are given objective answers that you don't want to hear. Look, no rational person is going to tell you that the Cowboy QB situation is solid.

You point out the competent moments/games that QC has played. We rebut with Heath Shuler flashing the same (if not greater) "progress."

Yet the club's owner feels compelled to go shell out a large signing bonus to a prospect who hasn't played the game in 5 years. This does not ring as a vote of confidence in QC, nor the Cowboy QB situation, in general.

These are the facts. The Cowboy QB situation is just as unsettled as the Redskin's right now, if not moreso. At least the Redskins haven't invested a great deal, yet. And, if they do shoot the wad for Harrington, he is a better prospect than anyone on the Cowboy's roster.

Plus, we got Spurrier. Coslett may be a competent coordinator, but I'll take Steve anyday.

Yea.....

clown boy (BCS) beat me to the other comment that your subtle yet penetrating analysis may yet have been over dude's head.

the other comment i have (hence the redundant post)

nnnnnANANANNNANAHAHAHAHa..........

(ok think the sound Chevy Chase made when, in caddyshack, he was "Zen" putting, on The green.

"Goonga Goonga La-goonga"

"so I got that going for me"

Q, I think you just validated the point that Carter was not a sure bet to be the starter at Georgia had he returned. In fact, you highlighted the quote that proves it. "''He asked if he'd be the starter,'' Richt said. ''I said, 'You'll start out as the No. 1 quarterback, and I'll do everything in my power to help you succeed.' If Quincy came back and he wasn't the starter, that wouldn't have been fair to him. He would have been the starter going in."

First, Carter knew there was a question about whether he'd even start at Georgia. This is why Carter went to the coach and said asked if he would be the starter. That's proof enough. Further, all the coach said was that Carter would have started out as the starter at quarterback. He wasn't sure to be the starting QB however.

Are you really so blind that you don't even see this actually verifies EXACTLY what everyone has LONG said about Carter? He wasn't a sure bet to start at Georgia. Everyone knew it. Everyone knew it including Carter who had to ask the coach about it. And the coach didn't say, "You're my guy, Q." He said, "You'll start out my guy, sure." These are very, very, very, very different things.

Funny, Some look at tea leaves and read your future, whilst some look at tea leaves and see a form of beverage. Where do you fall?

Quincy Carter lead the Georgia team to 2 successful seasons before he got injured early in his Junior season. Do you actually think Quincy would have been unseated by Junior Cory Phillips or Freshman David Greene.

Yet, here you post so outraged at the suggestion that there was a question as to whether Carter would even be the starter at Georgia DESPITE THE FACT THAT CARTER HIMSELF ASKED THE VERY SAME QUESTION. Holy moly, talk about talking and proving yourself out of a debate guy. Sheesh.

Raising the question and then insinuating "the answer" is the reason why Harrington is a better building block than Carter is ridiculous.

In your opinion I prove my self wrong. We already know where your bias. I am not surprised you would totally disregard the fact that Quincy Carter was coming off an injury. Any QB in their right mind would ask their coach if they are still the starter if they had been side lined by an injury. Even NFL QBs have doubts when coming off injuries. Carter did not ask because the QB who took his place was better. Carter is a competitive individual from minor league prospect, SEC ROOKIE OF THE YEAR( yes, buddy the same SEC that houses Florida,Tenn, LSU, Kentucky, Miss st.) and a Heismann hopeful as a sophmore, do you actually think he was scared of a freshman and a junior whom he already beat out.[red] IF MARK RICHT THOUGHT DAVID GREENE WOULD UNSEAT OR WAS BETTER THAN QUINCY CARTER WHY DID HE REDSHIRT GREENE HIS ACTUAL FRESHMAN YEAR. GET REAL ART. Cory Phillips and David Greene evidently haven't done squat. Unless you consider an 8-4 record with a Music city Bowl appearance impressive.[/red]

Plus Quincy was weighing his options. He knew the talent level on the team had severly dropped when the likes of Champ Bailey etc left.

Therefore it is stupid on your part to assume the reason why Quincy Carter left Georgia was because he was scared of losing his job to 2 players who haven't even got a glimpse of the success Quincy Carter had.

It is also stupid on your part to assume Harrington is a better building block in the NFL because of his collegiate career

why get all upset?

whatever happened or didn't happen at Georgia, Carter is in the NFL now and needs to prove himself going forward.

of course the fact Jerry Jones signed Chad Hutchinson and gave him that large bonus this offseason doesn't fill me with confidence that Carter is long for the starting job down there.

If he were, Jones would have gone out and gotten a veteran backup to tutor Carter and help him take his game to the next level.

When you bring in another younger qb that means you are still looking.

Quincy, the point of contention here is a simple one. People say there was a question whether Carter would even start at Georgia and you say you have proof that there was no question. In your proof you post a question asked by Carter of the coach asking, "Will I be your starter this year?" It's not my opinion you've been proven wrong. You boys like saying anything that you disagree with is an opinion.

It's fact. The argument is very set here. I said there was a question as to whether Carter would start at Georgia. You wrote there was no question and dared me to dare you to prove me wrong. You then did so and, in fact, validated my statement by Qunicy's own question to the coach. Check and mate my brother.

What is, is.

Quincy, the point of contention here is a simple one. People say there was a question whether Carter would even start at Georgia and you say you have proof that there was no question. In your proof you post a question asked by Carter of the coach asking, "Will I be your starter this year?" It's not my opinion you've been proven wrong. You boys like saying anything that you disagree with is an opinion.

It's fact. The argument is very set here. I said there was a question as to whether Carter would start at Georgia. You wrote there was no question and dared me to dare you to prove me wrong. You then did so and, in fact, validated my statement by Qunicy's own question to the coach. Check and mate my brother.

What is, is.

What!!!@#$.

The coach said he would start therefore there was no question as to whether he would start.

In your mind, Redskin fans' mind and people(whoever they are)minds' there was a question. For reasons unknown you people had a question.

In Quincy Carter's mind he was weighing his options and was coming off injuries. Do you actually think he was asking because he believed David Greene and Cory Phillip were better than him?

In your mind and several others there was a question for varying bias reasons, but Mark Richt dispelled that there ever was a questions.

WHAT YOU FAIL TO REALIZE IS THAT ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT THE HEADCOACH THINKS OR IF THE COACH HAD ANY QUESTION

He didn't have any question.

For you to speculate as to what was going on in the mind of a 24 year old prospect getting ready to make the most important decision in his families life is ludacris and ridiculous.

Infact. The argument is very set here. YOU said there was a question as to whether Carter would start at Georgia. I said there was no question and dared YOUto dareMEto prove YOU wrong. In my proof I stated:

Richt said he told Carter during their Monday meeting that he would be Georgia's starting quarterback entering spring practice, but Richt also made it clear he didn't want to have to talk Carter into staying.

``He asked if he'd be the starter,'' Richt said. ``I said, `You'll start out as the No. 1 quarterback, and I'll do everything in my power to help you succeed.' If Quincy came back and he wasn't the starter, that wouldn't have been fair to him. He would have been the starter going in.

(Notice I include the answer in it's whole context)hehe

I provided my proof and validated the fact that in the HEADCOACHE'S MIND THE WAS NO QUESTION

In YOUR mind their may have been a question. In peoples minds there may have been a question but in the Coaches mind who speaks for the entire coaching staff and Georgia Athletic outfit there was no question that Quincy Carter was going to be the starter and the coaching staff would do their best to let him succeed. So unless you a reading tea leaves. Itisipretty much cut and dry unless your HOMERISM IS CLOUDING YOUR JUDGMENT.

So a coach, new to the program, told the QB that started the year before, he would be the starter GOING INTO SPRING PRACTICE, that means he would have started throughout the spring and not lost his job to 2 better QBs?

Sure Q, sure.

Why did Jerrah feel the need to pick up LEaf and Hutchison? Or did he tell Quincy he'd definitely be the starter going into minicamps this year?

Who cares what QC might have done if he stayed in GA?

He is the designated #1 QB at Dallas as of right here and now. Hutch is a project and I hope he conveniently gets a hang nail in camp so he can be IRed. Competition between Wright, Leaf and Stoerner will be on going till the QB school when one, likely Stoerner, will get the ax. The it comes down to Wright and Leaf for the third QB spot and likely playing back up to QC. Cos will make that call. My bet is on Wright but I have a bias towards the underdog myself. It will be just 3 QBs on the regular season roster.

All things considered I am looking for better things from Quinc this year. He has a year of learning the system under his belt. His mechanics were adjusted mid injuries so he is throwing the ball better. Cos is a big improvement at OC and will focus on what QC does best not what he thinks the best system is. The famous west bank of the Ohio, now transplanted to Dallas west coast offence. We need a catchier name for it I think.

So a coach, new to the program, told the QB that started the year before, he would be the starter GOING INTO SPRING PRACTICE, that means he would have started throughout the spring and not lost his job to 2 better QBs?

It would be naive for me to say that Quincy would not have lost his job. David Greene and Cory Phillips would have been the enxt coming of John Elway. But they were not. David Greene had a average season at best.

If david Greene was so great and would unseat Quincy Carter why did the coaching staff redshirt him his actual freshman year.

If David greene or Cory Phillips were better, why didn't the Bulldogs have a better season than Quincy's freshman and Sophmore season.

GET REAL KILMER.

Sure Q, sure.

Why did Jerrah feel the need to pick up LEaf and Hutchison? Or did he tell Quincy he'd definitely be the starter going into minicamps this year?

Good question. your answer lies within my question

Why did Jerry Jones draft Steve Walsh in the supplementary draft when he had No. 1 pick Troy Aikman?

Why did the Rams draft Trug candidate when they had a supervbowl winning RB in Marshall Faulk

Why did Bill Walsh sign Jeff Garcia when he had just draft Jim DrukenMiller

Simple reason. Nobody is a gurantee in this league of torn ACL, poor play and contract disputes.

IT IS CALLED NOT PUTTING ALL YOUR EGGS IN 1 BASKET.

Any good player worth his salt welcomes and gets better with competition!!!!

I think most people were shocked when the Rams took Candidate. And most people called it a poor move.

Aikmann and Walsh was a great move, because Jimmy knew that one of them would be his starter and the other great trade potential. There also was no cap then.

Bottom line Q, you are arguing with UGA fans about a UGA player that they (me) followed. I read the press clippings (dont know how I missed that fishrag article you found), attend booster meetings (I am not an alumni), follow recruiting, go to spring practices and as many home games as I can. (Those I dont, I watch on TV.

We (the UGA fans) are more qualified to report on the career of Carter at UGA than you, or any other non UGA fan. We, as a whole, were shocked when Jerra reached to take him in the second, since we had been hearing for months he was a 4th rounder at best. Most of us were happy for him (myself included), but nonetheless shocked. And yes, Green was going to start ahead of him. Most colleges automatically redshirt QBs to give them a year to learn the system.

As I've told you a few times, dont take my word for it, go to the DawgVent and ask the locals. They will give you a truthful answer without having to worry about a Cowboy/Redskin slant to it.

Q, I refuse to believe you are this dense. I'll repeat it. Try and read slower and perhaps you'll understand. The comment was that there was a question as to whether Carter would even be the starter at Georgia. You said there was no question. The fact is, there was a question, and that question was asked by Carter. And even in the answer, the statement was that Q was the starting QB for the Bulldogs last year. It was that Q would start, as the incumbent, in the lead position.

So, read slower. Was there a question as to whether Carter would start at Georgia? Yes. How do we know? Because Carter asked the question. Do we know whether Carter would have been the starting QB at Georgia the whole year? No. We do know he would have been the starter in spring practice. So, even in answering the question, the coach wouldn't even say Carter was the starter for the Bulldogs. Just that he'd start as the starter and then he'd evaluate from there.

So, are you catching on? Once more. Was there a question as to whether would be the starter at Georgia? Yes. How do we know? Because Carter asked that very question. Was Carter answered that he'd be the sure starter at Georgia? No. He was told only that as last year's starter, he'd start the spring practice as the starter.

Here is the point in a debate, Q, where you say, "Ok, fair enough, you're right." It's easy. Go ahead. We'll be waiting.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Isn't it a new system under Coslett?

And if Jones was looking for backup help, why did he sign 2 non performers instead of a cheap vet backup?

Kilmer,

1) Yes it will be and to tell the truth I have no idea exactly how it will be till they see who they have to play with. One of Cos's strenths is working with the players talents and I think we may pick up several O players in the draft.

My bets are we will still run a little better than half the time. Use the TEs as receivers more. Do some motion with QC, not like last year's though :)

2) Both are cap cheap and may have some potential. Hutch is around a mill 200 this year and I don't think Leaf is much more. Starting last year we went young. Both Hutch and Leaf qualify. Also JJ didn't want to spend large money on FAs. His words were "moderately priced" FAs. So far with the exception of Glover he has signed Hardy, Westbrook, Robinson to fairly cap friendly terms. We still have something like three mill for FAs after the draft if needed. We also tied up our younger players and rising star type players.

You may be right, his arm is pretty rusty though for playing football. The money is purely what if he can regain his form from when he left Stanford.

This may be Jerrys whoops for 2002 or maybe not. Like Leaf he is a gamble and can theoretically be considered as a first round selection. The darn NFL thinks so with regard to our rookie pool money.

Like Leaf I just do not know what will happen, boom or bust and if it is bust release him or trade him for peanuts is the worse that can happen.

Archived