Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Curse

slinky

can anyone actually point to a specific moment, trade, event that brought a sports curse on DC? No matter what coach we bring in, no matter what player we bring in, no matter what owner takes over things in DC just go from bad to worse every year.

Can we blame Mayor Anthony Williams? Can anyone tell me when he took over in DC?? maybe we need Mayor Barry back?

There just has to be something going on in this city along the lines of Bo' Sox & the Cubbies' curses.

I don't believe in curses but this is just maddening at how ALL the teams can not get over the losing hump... and the curse even extends to my beloved Orioles.

Is it all just that there is a deafetest attitude in this city and not a winning attitude? I know winning begets winning and all but how do we overcome this losing stinch?

I know Gibbs is definitely the 1st step in getting back to the winning ways and i will give him as long as he wants/needs to get things done.

But is there a curse on DC? Hmmmmmm...

Originally posted by skins4eva

I think you can trace a curse to when the devil reincarnated, souless excuse for a human being "danny the ****" bought this team

We sucked before he even bought the team. I blame it on not bringing in the right people to do the job. Hiring Gibbs was a huge step in reversing this losing culture we have developed.

We had the (nearly) the worst season in '92 of a Super Bowl winner...and have been poor from that point forward. We did barely make it into the playoffs...

Caps were in the Stanley Cup playoffs in '00 (I think.) Wizards/Bullets have really sucked since '78 and have, like the Skins, squandered their draft picks.

Maybe there is a curse and maybe not. Having Gibbs could bring us back--it's just going to take some time.

Guest SPACESKINS

I don't know about the other Washington teams but it does seem like a curse.

Maybe Danny should have had one of the Native Americans that came to town for the new museum to excercise the "demons" out of Fed Ex field.

if you're looking for one moment where everything just went to hell as far as the skins were concerned.....it was when Gibbs retired after the 1992 season. we've been 76-106-1 since then...no need to look at anything else.

the Caps started plummeting around the same time (except for a one year splurge to the stanley cup in 98), and the wizards/bullets have Always been abysmal...at least since Regan took office.

is there a curse?....no, i don't think so, i just think the sports teams here for the last decade-plus have either been absurdly lacking in talent, been piss-poorly managed, or some combination of the two. and it will take a while to cleanse the organizations of the effects of these lingering problems....how long?? well, by all indications thus far, we're gonna need a lot of patience...perhaps more than some are willing to give, but we really don't have a choice in the matter. everyone just take a deep breath and let the rebuilding process continue.

Originally posted by iheartskins

Om, are you suggesting that JKC = Dr. Faustus?

I suppose I am.

All I know is, we had a run that few sports fans in the world ever get to enjoy.

Since then, just about everything that could go wrong has, every ball that could bounce our way hasn't, every close call that could go our way doesn't ... and, with apologies to Coach Gibbs, I've actually gotten to the point where I expect my team, even under his guidance, to find new and creative ways to lose.

I know life is about the swing of the pendulum, but after 10 years, I'm getting a bit impatient for the damn thing to apex and start to swing back already.

Originally posted by FranklinNoble

Is Dan Snyder really that bad?

All he's done is spend a ton of money on the team.

Granted, he's made some big mistakes, but it's not for lack of trying.

Would you rather have the Bidwells?

He really is that bad. yes, indeed he is. How can a person like that win? He's such a terrible, idiotic owner. He throws money at these team, but Dan Synder doesn't understand that money cannot buy you everything. He knows nothing about football, but thinks he knows everything, he knows nothing about how to earn people's respect, he knows nothing about his own limitations. And each and every season, we as fans suffer because of Danny the ****'s inability to learn from his mistakes.

Originally posted by skins4eva

He really is that bad. yes, indeed he is. How can a person like that win? He's such a terrible, idiotic owner. He throws money at these team, but Dan Synder doesn't understand that money cannot buy you everything. He knows nothing about football, but thinks he knows everything, he knows nothing about how to earn people's respect, he knows nothing about his own limitations. And each and every season, we as fans suffer because of Danny the ****'s inability to learn from his mistakes.

This post indicates you haven't been paying attention, guy. If you have followed this team with your head as well as your heart at all, you should know nothing you've just said applies to Snyder in 2004.

Venting is healthy, I guess ... but so is truth.

Originally posted by Om

All I know is, we had a run that few sports fans in the world ever get to enjoy...I know life is about the swing of the pendulum, but after 10 years, I'm getting a bit impatient for the damn thing to apex and start to swing back already.

The 80s sure were great, and I have the Zubaz, Monte Colemen, and Posse clothing (still) to prove it.

My impatience has grown as well. My major concern is that the impatience, especially in light of our consistent futility, could lead a lot of our fans to apathy. DC, itself, and I mean NW, NE, SW, SE has had a hard time these past 10 years too, and if we lose one of our biggest sources of pride, things could deteriorate further.

Maybe I am overestimating the importance of Skins success, but if it requires another deal with Mephistopholes, Dan Snyder (and maybe Mayor Williams) should look into it.

Ok, Om, maybe I'm speaking more with my heart than with my head. But, here's an example for you: my head told me that we wouldn't completely screw up the game in the second half last night, but my heart told me we would.

And trust, me, I have been paying attention. Perhaps you have not been. Perhaps you've been thinking too much with your head, and not enough with your heart. My heart tells me that Dan Synder is a cancer to this team. And everything I've said applies to Synder in 2004 because one football season does not operate in a vaccum.

No.

As I've said before, to me, the struggles this franchise is having now are a reflection of the mistakes and mismanagement and just plain old cirmcumstances of the last ten years---and part of that goes to Dan Snyder's impatience and hubris (my spin). I've written extensively on that ... ask Art. :)

But not all of it was his fault. The slide started under the brain-dead sterwardship of John Kent Cooke after his Daddy took sick and basically left the team in the hands of a guy without either a clue OR any real desire.

Snyder has earned a lot of his criticisms ... but it's grossly unfair to not recognize how much he HAS changed, and how well he HAS learned from his admitted mistakes. And it's even more unfair to not recognize the 180-degree turn he made in January by going out and hiring Gibbs, and then removing himself 100% from the football-related aspects of this organization.

If we're going to presume to criticize from the cheap seats, when we think it's deserved based on what we see and think we have a handle on, we should also be prepared to give credit when and where it's clearly due.

Archived