Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WG3: Redskins @ Giants - Point/Counterpoint

WallyG3

I think if we can eliminate turnovers, this could very easily be a blowout. The match-ups are clearly in our favor.

When they have the ball:

Point: Shockey is a playmaker with speed and power.

Counterpoint: We have very speedy linebackers. Washington is plenty enough to handle Shockey, and if Shockey wants to go down field, he'll be turned over to Taylor. Threat eliminated.

Point: Toomer has killed us in the past.

Counterpoint: Smoot is playing well. This is their only real threat but depends greatly on the QB keeping his head on his shoulders; which brings me to my next point.

Point: They have a decent veteran quarterback.

Counterpoint: Warner has shown time and again that he is no good under pressure. Couple that with playing behind a very suspect O-line. We have shown some very, very good blitz packages. Warner is in big trouble. The rookie would be in even worse trouble. Our D will be in their face all day, greatly reducing the passing threat. Look for at least 2 interceptions.

Point: They have pretty good running backs that’ve beaten us in the past.

Counterpoint: Again you have to question the strength of their O-line and bring up the increase in speed in our linebackers and FS. Tampa Bay has a better O-line and better running backs. That got them all of 30 yards at 2.0 yards per attempt.

When we have the ball:

Point: Strahan is a beast, and Jon Jansen is out.

Counterpoint: Kenyatta Jones looked pretty darn good one on one with Greg Spires, who is no slouch. In this game, you can guaran-damn-tee a TE or HB is going to be over on that side. If Strahan moves, he’s got to deal with any of the other Dirtbags. Threat eliminated.

Point: Portis only averaged 3.0 yards per carry after his big burst.

Counterpoint: The gameplan for Tampa was to run it up the middle. Their speed on defense really reduces your ability to take it around the ends. We barely even tried it, opting instead to expose the only weakness their D may have: running it up the middle. A lot of that 3.0 average comes from short 40-guts and 50-guts running out the clock at the end of the game. Rest assured their will be a much different approach to attacking the Giants defense.

Point: Brunell didn’t play very well; some say his arm looked weak.

Counterpoint: Brunell will look a lot better when his targets are more open. The Giants secondary is no where near that of the Bucs. Our receivers were well covered all game. Look for a few more openings against the Giants. As far as arm strength, I don’t believe it. Brunell threw very strongly when he had to. The weak-looking throws I saw were either when he was hit as he threw, or when he was trying to drop his pass in over top of the defender. Perception is not everything.

Conclusion:

The Skins just match up too well with the Giants and will dominate early forcing the Giants to abandon the run and feed into our greatest advantage: Warner vs. Blitz.

Redskins win 31-10.

Our lack of kick coverage will give the Giants good field position a few times, but we will win the turnover battle and dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

WallyG3 is a senior writer for Wally's Corner

No offense, but that was awfully homeristic of you. Taylor will probably be sitting on the bench. Strahan is a hall of famer going against something called Kenyatta Jones. I'm sure it was Gibbs gameplan "Run for 3 ypc the rest of the game CP. We need to kill clock with 55 minutes left."

I'd say jones+ a TE will hold strahn under 2 sacks.

Everything else I kinda agree with.....

As for Warner...lets hope we don't give him time to throw because he is deadly accurate on those deep balls. Brad really couldn't throw deep b/c galloway was gone......Unless Toomer is gone were gonna see some deep balls to him......

This Defensivly should be harder but offensively we'll do better.

24-17 skins. Sorry Tom...:D

Originally posted by ShonyX

No offense, but that was awfully homeristic of you. Taylor will probably be sitting on the bench. Strahan is a hall of famer going against something called Kenyatta Jones. I'm sure it was Gibbs gameplan "Run for 3 ypc the rest of the game CP. We need to kill clock with 55 minutes left."

OK, I'll accept that I am biased. But I'll stand by my counterpoints. I think Jones handled Spires very well, and has looked strong in the preseason too. Add a TE on his side to help with Strahan, and I don't think he will be a factor.

As far as Portis' average: The final drive consisted of 9 running plays when they KNEW we were going to run it and Portis averaged 2.5 yards per carry on the drive. You don't think that would bring the game average down? As far as the rest of the game, again, you have to assume our gameplan was to run up the middle because that is the best way to attack this D. They are too quick to get much on the outside. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

My point was that you will see a different gameplan against the Giants. Gibbs will find the best way to attack the Giants D the way he did against the Bucs.

Tampa Bay has a better O-line and better running backs.

O line maybe but not better running backs...

I think we'll get about 4 turnovers in this game. 2 ints (one on an end of half or end of game hail mary). 2 FR (one from Tiki, one from Warner). I also think our D will score.

Our D hasn't allowed a touchdown in 5 quarters. If you include the preseason only the Rams have scored a touchdown against our starting D in 6 and a quarter games. I don't think the Giants will be scoring alot.

The remnants of Ivan should be coming through the NY area on Sunday, so there could be alot of rain. So.....I don't think we'll be looking our best, but I still think we'll beat them by at least 2 touchdowns.

Originally posted by Skins24

O line maybe but not better running backs...

I think we'll get about 4 turnovers in this game. 2 ints (one on an end of half or end of game hail mary). 2 FR (one from Tiki, one from Warner). I also think our D will score.

Our D hasn't allowed a touchdown in 5 quarters. If you include the preseason only the Rams have scored a touchdown against our starting D in 6 and a quarter games. I don't think the Giants will be scoring alot.

The remnants of Ivan should be coming through the NY area on Sunday, so there could be alot of rain. So.....I don't think we'll be looking our best, but I still think we'll beat them by at least 2 touchdowns.

I'd take Garner over Barber and Alstott over Dayne any day of the week.

Other than that good points. :D

I didn't even think about the weather factor.

Originally posted by ShonyX

To add this, Westbrook tore the G-Men a new one by bouncing runs to the outside. Their defense was just too slow. Portis is just as fast as Westbrook, so that may help.

Which was exactly my point about a different approach to the running game, and the 3.0 average vs Tampa being moot. :cheers:

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I think Strahan will still be a problem for us. Yes, you are correct they will put a TE or HB over there to help Kenyatta out. Yet that won't be on every play, since doing that may limit how versatile our offense can attack the defense.

Maybe I'm underestimating Strahan, or maybe I'm overconfident in Jones, or maybe both. I just have "that feeling" about Jones with Bugel instructing him and Gibbs gameplanning for this matchup.

Originally posted by WallyG3

I'd take Garner over Barber and Alstott over Dayne any day of the week.

I also agreed with most of your arguments except for this one. I hate Barber and hopes he coughs up tons of fumbles, but he's still a better back than Garner. Garner's lost more than a step and will take even longer to get accustomed to his team. Alstott is an absolute beast but his injury from last year will limit his production as well. Definitely more proven than Dayne, but I think the giants rbs have an advantage over the bucs. That doesn't mean we won't hold them to 50 yds rushing though. :D

I just want Brunell and our passing game to look better. I know we were wanting to run the ball, but Brunell's passing totals practically had him last in the league after week one. Our passing game has to be better than the 49ers or the Dolphins and we only mannaged 125 yards.

Originally posted by WallyG3

I think if we can eliminate turnovers, this could very easily be a blowout. The match-ups are clearly in our favor.

When they have the ball:

Point: Shockey is a playmaker with speed and power.

Counterpoint: We have very speedy linebackers. Washington is plenty enough to handle Shockey, and if Shockey wants to go down field, he'll be turned over to Taylor. Threat eliminated.

I actually think that Taylor will be matched up against Shockey almost the entire time, and when Shockey doesn't go out on a route, Taylor will Blitz.

Point: Strahan is a beast, and Jon Jansen is out.

Counterpoint: Kenyatta Jones looked pretty darn good one on one with Greg Spires, who is no slouch. In this game, you can guaran-damn-tee a TE or HB is going to be over on that side. If Strahan moves, he’s got to deal with any of the other Dirtbags. Threat eliminated.

While I agree that we will have TE or a H-back helping with Strahan, I wouldn't say the threat is eliminated. You have to respect Strahan or he will make you pay.

Point: Portis only averaged 3.0 yards per carry after his big burst.

Counterpoint: The gameplan for Tampa was to run it up the middle. Their speed on defense really reduces your ability to take it around the ends. We barely even tried it, opting instead to expose the only weakness their D may have: running it up the middle. A lot of that 3.0 average comes from short 40-guts and 50-guts running out the clock at the end of the game. Rest assured their will be a much different approach to attacking the Giants defense.

I do think that Portis will get a lot of yards this Sunday, with a whole lot less carries. (Mainly because "YourGod" said that there needed to be, and we all know what a great baseball coach he is, so how could you not listen?)

Originally posted by scowan

I just want Brunell and our passing game to look better. I know we were wanting to run the ball, but Brunell's passing totals practically had him last in the league after week one. Our passing game has to be better than the 49ers or the Dolphins and we only mannaged 125 yards.

I think that the passing game will open up quite a bit this weekend. A lot of those runs that we ran last week were ran to set up passing plays in the coming weeks and months.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I think Strahan will still be a problem for us. Yes, you are correct they will put a TE or HB over there to help Kenyatta out. Yet that won't be on every play, since doing that may limit how versatile our offense can attack the defense.

When was the last time Strahan dominated in a game? Not at any point last year that I recall...and to boot, he HATES playing for Tom "get to meetings early or I'll dock ya" Coughlin, so I doubt he will be at his most motivated to play in any case...

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

When was the last time Strahan dominated in a game? Not at any point last year that I recall...and to boot, he HATES playing for Tom "get to meetings early or I'll dock ya" Coughlin, so I doubt he will be at his most motivated to play in any case...

Did you watch their game last week? Strahan was one of the few Giants defensive players who played well. He was very good.

Those underestimating Strahan may not have watched too many Giants games. He's still at the top of his game, and still produces better than 90% of the other DE's in this league.

Also, whoever says Garner is better than Barber must not have seen Barber break that long run on the Eagles last sunday. That one run was for more yards than Garner gained all day aganist us. He's a way more explosive runner, quicker into and out of his cuts, the only negative is he's probably the biggest fumbling back in the league. Hopefully, we'll be exploiting that.

A homerific analysis, but definately possible. I think that if you look on paper, we really do match up pretty well against the G-men and should win this game.

Which is why (also pointed earlier) this game is a concern. This is the type of game that we'd blow after gaining some momentum.

Gibbs is great, but he's not a miracle worker. The team can't underestimate the G-men and look ahead to the Dallas game.

One factor that isn't discussed in your points is motivation. Giants have their home opener and they are coming off a loss to a divisional opponent.

This game will be a better indication on just how much Gibbs has altered the players thought process.

Archived