Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Intereting point by Madden and Micheal's

The Wicked Wop

In the third quarter Madden and Micheal's were talking about Dillion's pickup of the blitz by Indy and said (to paraphrase) a team that doesn't have the players or RB's to pickup a free rusher will get pounced on.......and it just made me think back to last year......not gonna get to high and mighty because I'm glad Gibb's is back......but when Cerrato and/or Snyder decided to keep Sultan vs. Watson, they basically shot Spurrier in the foot......which is part of the reason why I think Spurrier and Jackson were so pissed at the decision.......they knew they had no RB who could really block like Spurrier's scheme needed or could pick up the blitz.....Just a little observation, that I will get pounded on.....but it is a fact.

Originally posted by The Wicked Wop

In the third quarter Madden and Micheal's were talking about Dillion's pickup of the blitz by Indy and said (to paraphrase) a team that doesn't have the players or RB's to pickup a free rusher will get pounced on.......and it just made me think back to last year......not gonna get to high and mighty because I'm glad Gibb's is back......but when Cerrato and/or Snyder decided to keep Sultan vs. Watson, they basically shot Spurrier in the foot......which is part of the reason why I think Spurrier and Jackson were so pissed at the decision.......they knew they had no RB who could really block like Spurrier's scheme needed or could pick up the blitz.....Just a little observation, that I will get pounded on.....but it is a fact.

Sultan was on the practice squad. Watson wasn't eligible for the practice squad. We were talking about our fifth-string running back with Canidate, Betts, Rock, Morton on the roster. No one kept McCullough over Watson. We kept Betts and Rock over Morton. McCullough didn't miss any of the blitz pickups we missed. Rock did that.

If a fifth-string running back can be the end of an offense, there's something else at play.

Sultan was on the practice squad. Watson wasn't eligible for the practice squad. We were talking about our fifth-string running back with Canidate, Betts, Rock, Morton on the roster. No one kept McCullough over Watson. We kept Betts and Rock over Morton. McCullough didn't miss any of the blitz pickups we missed. Rock did that.

A. I do Believe McCullough was on the full roster last year.

B. I do believe we released Watson so we could keep McCullough.

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=71&p=8&c=2&nid=110&csid=null&yr=2003

C. Yes you are correc that Rock was the one that missed blocks, and not McCullugh.

but the point that your forgetting.....is that Watson was far and a way the best PASS blocking RB we had....and would have been the one on the field as a blocking back.....not Rock. Cerato (and/or Snyder) felt that a team would pick up McCullough, and decided to cut Watson instead.

My only point in all this was that everyone and their mother Bashes Spurrier for this and than....and to big degree deserves some of it.......but management also plays a roll, and can't cut necessary people, that are vital to the way you run your offense.

Wop,

Maybe I'm punch drunk tonight, because I wrote Morton instead of Watson in my reply too.

But, the point I was attempting to make remains. Watson was the fifth running back. He was not going to play on that team last year. Just like McCullough didn't. For whatever reason I think of McCullough as a practice squad guy, but, perhaps he was just inactive week after week. In any case, this team was going to keep four active backs on a regular basis. Watson wasn't that guy.

And, as a developmental guy, McCullough is the guy you keep when you don't expect that player to be available.

Watson WAS the best pass blocking running back we had. But, I'm not forgetting that. You seem to think that would have mattered. He was FIFTH STRING. He was never going to be on the field. He would not have been on the field for Rock. He'd have been inactive like Sultan.

Again, there is NO part of releasing a fifth-string player in favor of a better prospect that had any impact on Spurrier. No fifth-string player is necessary people vital to your offense. Perhaps the first four strings are. Watson wasn't in that group.

Well, if I remember correctly....the previous year...the 2002 season, it was Watson who relieved Davis for the most part......not Betts...which I do believe was based soley on the fact that Watson did have the ability to pick up Blitzs and a much better blocker.

Rock for the most part was considered a Full back during the 2003 season and not a RB spot (though he was used as a true RB as the season wore on...but that position probably was considered an H-back, TE position to fill).

Morton was considered a PR and didn't really fill an RB slot (at best an alternate 3rd down back). So then your left with 3 full RB's...Candidate, Betts, and McCullough.

My only point in all of this was watching how the Patriot's would stick 4-5 wideouts on the field at one time and still provide Brady with enough time to complete a pass. He!! Bugel came in during the Season last year and told Spurrier that the idea's were sound it was just exacution.

Am I saying tha Spurrier would have won 11 games last year if he kept Watson....obviously you had more to drink than me (plus our defense was an absolute joke...which may had more to do with our record than our offense).......but at the same time, management can't pull the rug out from underneath you and dictate the players your team needs....when you know what your system requires.

I think the point Art and myself were trying to make is whether it was Sultan or Watson - neither would have been activated for most games. Sultan got activated for the Dallas game only because Canidate and Betts were both hurt, so it's all a moot point beacuse the season and system's problems didn't come down to the one game Sultan played in.

SS's blocking schemes where ridiculous to say the least, using TE's, and RB's, to block the likes of Simeon Rice, how many times last year did we see a lineman standing around in the pocket looking for people to block, and finding none, while blitzing LB's were taking clean shot's from every direction at Ramsey? The RB's had very little to do with the protection under SS, unless you believe 215lb back's, should be blocking 275lb to 300lb linemen by themselves.

Watson was the fifth running back

Sorry have to disagree there. Watson was the primary backup for Davis the year before, and was #3 option at the least behind Betts if he stayed last season. Watson would have been in the game a great deal just for pass blocking for the ball coach.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

I noticed this year in preseason that the RB would always at least try to chip block someone as they came out of the backfield. Big difference from the OBC days

Welcome horoni

Thanks carl,you guys will benefit from that trade for sure

Originally posted by thinker

That is one element of Portis' game that worries me a little bit. PR got a big rush by atlanta where Portis didn't slow his man down much at all.

This past week, the coaching staff specifically pointed out Portis picking up the blitz and smacking an Atlanta LB around. They showed it to the whole team, not just in offensive meetings. Oh no, the boy can block.

Also, when Gibbs met Portis he said he was impressed by his pass blocking, not by his running. Don't worry, the man has a heart as big as a lion.

Archived