Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: Redskins' Dockery: striving for balance

bubba9497

Redskins' Dockery: striving for balance

Delight and intensity both important, says promising youngster

BY PAUL WOODY

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777691092&path=%21sports%21redskins&s=1045855935462

ASHBURN His nickname is "Big Baby" because he looks and acts so young.

And Derrick Dockery, who will celebrate his 24th birthday on Sept. 7, doesn't mind the nickname at all.

"I guess I'm like a little kid," Dockery said, smiling. "I try to live every day to the fullest. It's like coach [Joe Gibbs] said this morning: 'Whatever you do, don't look back and say I wish I had done this or that.' Every day I come out here, I try to work my hardest, even when I'm tired."

Last year, as a rookie offensive guard for the Washington Redskins, Dockery had a few things that made him feel more tired than usual. He was thrust into the starting lineup in the fourth game of the season, against the New England Patriots.

The Redskins beat the Patriots that day, which made them the last team to beat New England during the 2003 season.

Life, however, did not get easier for Dockery. As a rookie, he was in a constant on-the-job training mode. The Redskins' offense, defense and season became a bit more frayed each week until it finally fell into complete disarray.

Dockery had many adjustments to make to life in the NFL.

"I think the biggest thing is the mentality of the game," Dockery said. "There's the criticism, the expectations. That's the way this business is. You want to love it, but at the same time there is that business aspect of it. If you don't perform well, you're gone.

"You have pressure and at the same time, you want to have fun. When you prepare and put yourself in the best situation to have success on Sunday, that's how you balance the two."

Dockery, a third-round draft choice from the University of Texas, should be used to pressure. Football is fairly popular in Texas, and the Longhorns play at the highest level of college competition.

But Dockery said the two situations really don't compare.

"You've got four years to do what you've got to do," Dockery said of college football. "Here, tomorrow is not promised to you.

"Sometimes, you're just so much better than people on the college level. Here, everybody is good, and sometimes people are way better than you. People have been in the game eight, nine years. I think last year, I faced Pro Bowlers six straight weeks as a rookie. You've got to bring your 'A' game every week."

Dockery, 6-6 345, has gotten high grades from offensive line coach Joe Bugel during the preseason.

"I think he's got the ability to be a great one," Bugel said.

One of Dockery's primary assets at this juncture of the preseason is that he has the ability to be a healthy offensive lineman.

Three members of the starting offensive line are sidelined: right tackle Jon Jansen is out for the season because of a ruptured Achilles tendon; left tackle Chris Samuels has a sprained ankle and left guard Randy Thomas has a neck injury and a chronic knee problem.

Samuels should be ready for the Redskins' season-opening game on Sept. 12 against Tampa Bay. The team has concerns about the amount of time it could take Thomas to recover. He insists he'll be ready to play soon, but players often are doggedly optimistic.

The idea that he is one of the more experienced blockers remaining amuses Dockery.

"We've got a lot of experience, Ray Brown [41 years old], guys who have been there and done that," Dockery said. "At the same time, I think it's up to each individual to perform and handle his business. I trust in everybody else. As a group, we have heart and we're going to be OK."

AND FURTHERMORE: Running back Rock Cartwright was held out of yesterday's practice, and is questionable for tomorrow's preseason game with Atlanta, with a "stinger" in his shoulder . . . Middle linebacker Michael Barrow has missed almost a month of practice with a knee problem and now looks questionable for next week's opener.

Originally posted by bubba9497

AND FURTHERMORE: Running back Rock Cartwright was held out of yesterday's practice, and is questionable for tomorrow's preseason game with Atlanta, with a "stinger" in his shoulder . . .

it's no stinger, those go away in about 10 minutes and you put your pads back on. maybe a pinched nerve in his shoulder, but that's not very painful...

ENERYBODY NEEDS TO STOP LYING TO EVERYBODY!

Originally posted by method man

imagine if samuels, spriggs and thomas are out for the tampa game, our OL would be: ray brown/friedman/raymer/dockery/kenyatta. this shows that we would not exactly be totally scrwed shows that we got great oline depth.

And if Kenyatta Walker gets cut the team would do well to grab him to add still more depth.

Archived